What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Tiger05

First Grade
If he is on that money we've done well. He deserves an upgrade. I don't like players though being let go because they don't like the coach. Hopefully this is just bullshit news and it gets worked out. Matterson is a guy we can build around.

It also shows why we really need to piss off players like Reynolds and Packer. We are going to have to upgrade players that perform like Matterson.

Shredder

Juniors
If he wants to go let him leave.

I cant see any benefit to keeping a player, no matter who it is, that doesnt want to be here.

And if he has fallen out with the coach, thats a big indicator that hes lazy, as Madge prides himself on pushing his players.

axl rose

Bench
Back to the Roosters, they really need the depth. All this bullshit about falling out with coaches etc it's always about the money.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench

I cant see any benefit to keeping a player, no matter who it is, that doesnt want to be here.

And if he has fallen out with the coach, thats a big indicator that hes lazy, as Madge prides himself on pushing his players.

Yep...he's good but he's not that good to have a big problem over

'05 been meaning to ask someone for a long time. ..how does a club build a team around someone ....particularly a lock / second rower?.....no sarcasm....just curious.as to what that actually means.
Add.....I've always taken it to actually mean that we throw a ridiculous amount of money at one player for a really long time then agonise about how to pay everyone else and hope it brings success....Nathan and Ponga style

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Yep...he's good but he's not that good to have a big problem over

'05 been meaning to ask someone for a long time. ..how does a club build a team around someone ....particularly a lock / second rower?.....no sarcasm....just curious.as to what that actually means.
Add.....I've always taken it to actually mean that we throw a ridiculous amount of money at one player for a really long time then agonise anout how to pay everyone else....Nathan and Ponga style

To answer your question you probably can't build any team around any one player. I mean as you state paying someone top dollar and not being able to get other talent screws clubs over. They want to be a great player and I don't think any player exists like that in the game. League isn't like Basketball where a superstar can make a massive difference.

Matterson is quality though and players that good don't come on the market place often. You don't get players like that for $350k which it appears is exactly what we have done.

Pay him more and I bet he is happy.

Tiger05

First Grade
Sounds like a manger trying to get more money for his client to me. By all reports he was the one who convinced Aloiai to stay. I’m not reading too much into it.

Same here. He is clearly underpaid and the ass-hat manager is trying to get more money. That is though unacceptable behavior and the manager should be banned.

He has a contract with us for a couple of years. The rules are that he can't negotiate elsewhere.

axl rose

Bench
Id think of someone like Wayne Pearce or recently Craig Fitzgibbon, goal kicker, always 'shows up' makes 40 tackles a week, a great work ethic/ trainer. Long term club salary cap rorting player, something like that.

WA Tiger

Bench
A couple of months mmm ..Those state of origin guys have been in his ear about how much he should be on...he hasn’t played yet so he’s still a chump not a champ in that arena...ahh pay him a bit more call it SOO chump bonus ..not too much though....if he’s not happy with that he can hang around like Packer for a. couple of years until his best years are passed him like Ali..

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Sounds like a manger trying to get more money for his client to me. By all reports he was the one who convinced Aloiai to stay. I’m not reading too much into it.
Vic, how much were/are we offering the Titans bloke to come here? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Was Matterson signed under Ivan Cleary? Change of coach can severely upset a player I suppose if they have left a relatively successful club to come to an underperforming one to be coached by someone specific.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

He is a quality player but I don't think we should pay him $500,000 if he wants out. I would rather us pay someone who is worth 500 grand who wants to be here otherwise next year he wants more then leaves the year after anyway.

I have seen Matterson behave poorly towards a Wests Tigers fan to the point of humiliating the fan just to get a few laughs out of his team mates. I have never been able to warm to him since. Moses Mboye on the other hand at the same venue was only to happy to look after the fans and behaved like a true gentleman as did Benji. I know who I want to stay at the club and who I don't mind leaving.

Having said all that I fully support Madge in whatever the outcome is.

I didn’t know Matt’s was a bit of tool.

I’ve given my Mbye story earlier, he’s very crowd conscious and seems to have a good heart.

Tool free zone, matts may need counselling and given I know people close to a big sponsor, I might try to raise the issue.

Other than that, I’d be a bit more comfy if he was on $450k+

Latest posts