What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Triple Header - 2 November, 2019

Gronk

Staff member
Eden Park (NZ time)

Samoa v Fiji: 2.30pm

Great Britain Rugby League Lions v New Zealand: 5pm

Australia v Tonga: 7.40pm

Gronk

Staff member
Possible selections

Fiji Bati: Maika Sivo, Kane Evans, RCG, Salesi Faingaa

Samoa: Jnr Paulo

Tonga: Michael Jennings, Peni Terapo

New Zealand: Dylan Brown

TheParraboy

Staff member
Are we expecting to see “sea of red “ all round the stadium to this ?

If so the first two games, the atmosphere might be a tad quiet and empty

Eelogical

Referee
These teams seem to have a lot of international players in them. They must be title contenders.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Israel Folau is attempting to return to rugby league at the end of the year to represent Tonga in Tests against Great Britain and the Kangaroos.

However, it is understood there will be a strong push by members of the board of the Rugby League International Federation to veto the move at an upcoming meeting.

The Tonga National Rugby League released a statement on Monday to say the former Storm and Broncos star and his younger brother John, who played eight NRL matches for Parramatta in 2015-16, had made themselves available for Mate Ma'a Tonga.

Both brothers have been playing rugby union in recent seasons for the Waratahs with Israel also representing the Wallabies before his contract was terminated by Rugby Australia due to a homophobic social media post in April.

Israel is in the midst of a court dispute with Rugby Australia, seeking a multimillion-dollar sum in lost wages following his sacking in May.

He played eight Tests for the Kangaroos from 2007-09. His last year in the NRL was 2010 and played 91 games across two stints with Melbourne and Brisbane, scoring 73 tries.

“I don’t want to bring any of my personal matters into this and I am grateful that the IRLF have endorsed my availability,” he said in the TNRL statement.

“What I will do now is focus on playing great rugby league and do my talking on the field.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/23...s-bid-to-make-rugby-league-return-with-tonga/

apart from the fact that I got it arse about, he probabaly wont play
Well it only says members, not how many. I suspect any from Australia will be amongst those because Beattie needed to be a man of action and opened his trap, but I doubt anyone else really gives a toss. Let him play. He's already had plenty of time on the sideline.

Gronk

Staff member
Form him to play, he would need to undertake not to dump social media shit again, which I’m sure his lawyers would not want him to do.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/ee95c7c25020ba36e29382e820faa3c8

Not so fast, Izzy: NRL may move to block Israel Folau’s return to rugby league with Tonga
NRL PREMIERSHIP

The NRL is desperately trying to block a shock bid for Israel Folau to return to rugby league with the Tongan Test side.

Tonga’s claim that controversial star Israel Folau has been cleared to make a sensational rugby league return and play for the Mate Ma’a has been shot down by the international governing body.

The Tongan National Rugby League (TNRL) dropped a bombshell on Monday, releasing a statement on their Facebook page that Folau and his brother John would feature in their end-of-year Tests against Great Britain and Australia.

Folau and new Tonga coach Frank Endacott even claimed in the statement that the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) had given the green light to a comeback.

But the RLIF have dismissed the TNRL’s post, saying they had not been formally asked to consider dual international Folau’s return.

“The Rugby League International Federation is aware of a media release issued by Tonga National Rugby League stating that Israel Folau has been ‘approved’ by the RLIF to represent Tonga in international matches,” it said in a statement.

“That statement is incorrect. The RLIF has not been formally asked to consider this matter.

RLIF deputy chairman and ARLC chairman Peter Beattie had earlier cast doubt over Folau’s return, saying the move hadn’t been mentioned by the international body.

“The RLIF has made no decision in relation to any registration request for Israel Folau,” he told AAP on Monday night.

“As a current member and deputy chair of the RLIF board, (as the ARLC representative), I can assure you that this has never been discussed or mentioned around the board table.” Beattie had previously shut the door on an attempt by Folau to return to the NRL.

It ensures Folau can’t play for Tonga in next month’s World Cup Nines which is run by the NRL.

And Beattie, along with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg - who is also on the international body’s board - are set to stand in the way of Folau playing for Tonga in this year’s Tests if the RLIF put his return to a vote.

Beattie said back in June that former Brisbane and Melbourne NRL star Folau would not be welcomed back to league due to his controversial social media posts that landed him in hot water with Rugby Australia.

Four months ago Folau’s lucrative contract with Rugby Australia was controversially terminated for breaching its code of conduct. Folau, 30, was deemed guilty of breaching the code over his social media posts which claimed homosexuals are going to hell.

However, it seems Folau is now attempting a comeback via Tonga, claiming in the Facebook statement that he had been cleared to play Great Britain in Hamilton on October 26 and the Kangaroos in Auckland on November 2.

“I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to represent God, my family, my heritage and the people of Tonga,” Folau said.

“I am thankful that the RLIF have accepted my availability to play.”

The Folau situation adds another twist to the controversy already swirling around Tongan rugby league.

The TNRL are in the midst of a bitter dispute between their board and a number of NRL stars, led by Jason Taumalolo and Andrew Fifita.

Over a dozen players have threatened to boycott the Test matches unless TNRL chairman George Koloamatangi and secretary Williams Edwards stand down after coach Kristian Woolf was sacked.