What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Kiwi hit squad ready to ignite Dragons NRLW push
Local Sport
r0_240_4000_2667_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FIERCE: Dragons forwards Maitua Feterika and Teuila Fotu-Moala. Picture: Anna Warr
MAITUA Feterika has steered clear of social media in the lead-up to the new NRLW season and her rivals would be well advised to do the same.

The highlight reels featuring her and fellow Kiwi Ferns powerhouse Teuila Fotu-Moala might make them think twice about showing up.

The duo are charged with bringing a hard edge to the Dragons middle after shifting south from Brisbane, with their first game for their new club coming against their old one on Sunday.

Neither is planning on bringing the fireworks, they just seem to go off whenever they're around.

"I'm excited but it hasn't really hit me yet," Feterika said.

"I'm trying to stay away from social media and just do me. I'm excited to see some old teammates but I'll leave all that for after the game.

"I'm the type of person worries about doing my job first and not trying to be a super hero trying to smash everyone out there.

"Everyone's always waiting for that [big] moment and all of that but we have to do our one per centers and our own jobs first. If we do that we can hopefully do some damage on the field."

Read more: No more kidding around for Weatherall

With Jillaroos hooker Brittany Breayley another addition to a pack that also includes skipper Kezie Apps, the Dragons boast a front six that wouldn't look out of place on an All-Stars team sheet.

"I'm so grateful we get to to play alongside Holli [Wheeler] and Kezie, I've always wanted to play alongside those two" Feterika said.

"We've always had that rivalry between the Kiwi Ferns and Jillaroos but to play and train alongside them has been awesome.

"It's a special thing for all of us but you can put together a superstar team, it all comes down to how you work together on and off the field."

Fotu-Moala is equally understated in her approach but there's no getting away from the 'Jukebox' nickname she's earned with the steady stream of monster hits - though she's quick to laugh off the moniker.

"Everyone expects a hit out of me now, if I don't put a hit on people get bored," she joked.

"You've got to be smart about it, if the hit's on it just happens. I don't go out there looking to line someone up but hopefully I can dish some out this season.

"I'm looking forward to playing in the middle and being a bit more involved in the game taking those tough runs. Hopefully I can square a few up.

"We've got a really talented pack with not only size, we've got speed and ball-playing so we can play a bit of footy as well. That's how I like to play so I'm looking forward to it."

It's the latter opportunity to add more strings to her bow under coach Daniel Lacey that prompted the 2017 World Cup Player of the Tournament to don the famous red v this season.

"I really respected Lacey's approach to getting me into the team and what he wanted out of me this season," she said.

"Everyone would've had their pitch but I felt Lacey had a genuine approach in what he could offer.

"I'm always looking to improve and get something different out of my game and he really drew me in with everything he intends to teach me.

"I'm excited for a bit of a fresh start and a new challenge. This team's full of talent and it's always exciting to play next to superstars."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...uad-ready-to-ignite-dragons-nrlw-push/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
NRLW Star Kezie Apps On The Long Road To Playing Professionally
"I always thought it was so unfair and joked, 'If only I was a boy, I could play Rugby League...' In reality though I never thought I would play in a competition, let alone for my state and country." - by Lauren Williamson
13 Sep 2019

kezie-apps-20.jpg

Watching Kezie Apps play rugby league, you'd be forgiven for thinking she'd hadn't spent a single second off the field. Reality is, that wasn't always an option for the 28-year-old. She grew up playing the game in her hometown of Bega until – like many of her fellow sportswomen – she was forced to stop in those pre-teen years due to a lack of female teams.

It wasn't until a decade later – when the then 22-year-old watched the Jillaroos win the World Cup for the first time – that she realised she could play the game she loved again. Fast forward to representing her state and country, captaining St George Illawarra, and a wealth of accolades not limited to the Dally M Women's Player of the Year in 2016 – it's clear Kezie has made up for those lost years.

We chatted to the star NRLW player about overcoming injury, the balance of 'semi professional' footy and what her training regime looks like.

What got you into rugby league?
My family. We grew up in a Rugby League household – I have two older brothers (Deon and Ryan) and we use to play footy in the backyard all the time. They both played Junior Rugby League for the Bega Roosters, and my dad also played. I wanted to be like them and they encouraged me to sign up at the age of 8. (Mum wasn’t too impressed haha).

Did you ever think representing your country would be a possibility when you were playing as a kid?
Not at all. When I was growing up, girls playing with the boys was so rare – only 2 or 3 girls played back then in Group 16. We were only allowed to play with the boys until we turned 12, after which point there was no competitions for us to go into. I always thought it was so unfair and joked, "If only I was a boy, I could play Rugby League..." In reality though I never thought I would play in a competition, let alone for my state and country.

kezieapps04 View Profile

1,451 likes - View Post on Instagram
Big girl on the move :woman_tone2::ear_of_rice: #gocountry #biggirl #giraffe
When did you realise you could make a go of it professionally?
After I finished at the age of 11 I didn’t start playing again until I was 21 (2012), through league tag for the Bega Roosters.

In 2013 I was watching the news and saw a quick 10 second snippet of the 2013 Jillaroos winning the World Cup for the first time. It was a light bulb moment – all of a sudden I learnt women’s rugby league did in fact exist! I immediately grabbed my computer to search for a club I could play for an soon after signed up with the Helensburgh Tiger Lillies.

In 2014 I re-started my rugby league journey, travelling from Bega to Helensburgh every week to play, which was a 5.5 hour drive each way! It wasn't until I was selected to play for NSW later in the year that I thought “I must be going OK” and started pushing myself to make the Australian team.

I worked really hard and was lucky enough to wear the green and gold jersey in a Test match against New Zealand at the end of 2014.

The game back then wasn’t really professional, but a lot had improved from previous years. Over the last two years things have started to really kick on.

Is rugby a full time job for you or do you balance it with additional work?
Rugby League is not a full time job (I wish)…we are 'semi-professional'.

We have access to the best coaches, strength and conditioning staff, physios, wellbeing managers etc, but still have to work full time to survive and train around our work commitments. I am lucky I work with the NRL’s St George Illawarra Dragons in their community department, so I get to go to schools and talk about health and wellbeing with the programs we run.

kezieapps04 View Profile

2,650 likes - View Post on Instagram
This moment :heart_exclamation: :grimacing::grimacing: #howsthesmile #proud #family
Do you think NRLW’s popularity is growing amongst women?
Yes, it definitely is – the more exposure we are getting, the more women are wanting to play the sport.

I think the women’s game is growing by something like 30% every year, which is amazing. There are definitely more opportunities arising for women in rugby league that may not be available in other sports.

What was the process like coming back from injury a couple of years ago, did you think there was a possibility you might not get to play at the same level again?
Yes that definitely crossed my mind, especially when I broke my leg in 2017. Before then I had never had a serious injury.

The first few weeks were really hard – I was in a pretty dark place – but I soon turned that around after getting some perspective from my cousin who became a paraplegic following a snowboarding accident. After we spoke I thought to myself: “My leg will heal, I will walk again, I will run again and I will play footy again…Jason might not be able to walk ever again. Stop being silly Kezie!”

Once I started controlling what I could control and stopped worrying about the final outcome, my rehab went well. I stuck to my program, was back on the field four months later and was lucky enough to be selected to the 2017 NSW State of Origin team (which we went on to win).

Mentally it was (and sometimes is) a huge battle. Last year I broke my leg again in a Test against New Zealand. I was devastated, but in a much better head space the second time around and knew what needed to be done.

I had already proven to myself that I could overcome a serious injury, and this one wasn’t as bad, so I put my head down and got on with it. Each time you get hurt though it is really difficult…everything stops and you have to start again.

What does a regular week of training look like for you?
At the moment we’re in the middle of preseason for the NRLW Dragons so there is plenty happening.

My week looks like this:

Monday – ankle & knee prehab, flexibility and mobility

Tuesday – Dragons training (gym and field sessions)

Wednesday – Dragons training (field session, contact, conditioning)

Thursday – Helensburgh training

Friday – Dragons training (Captains run)

Saturday – club footy game

Sunday – rest day (ocean swim, recovery)

kezieapps04 View Profile

1,664 likes - View Post on Instagram
My heart :hearts::heart_eyes::hearts: So much fun with Swai, Jett & Chase. #bottleflipchallenge @mitchmoses @luke_brooks kings of the kids!! Join us in supporting Footy Colours Day this September, helping these very special boys and girls and so many others like them. Register at footycoloursday.com.au #footycoloursday @fightcancerau
What practices or habits outside of physical training help with your performance?
I practice mindfulness…being in the present moment.

I try to use this before I go to sleep at night, especially if work has been pretty full on and there’s a lot going on in my head. I listen to an app called “Smiley Mind” and do a meditation session which sets me up for a great night’s sleep.

Tell me a bit about Footy Colours Day and why the cause is so important to you?
Footy Colours Day is a campaign that helps support kids living with cancer. Among other things it helps the kids continue their education during treatment and recovery.

One of my best friends passed away from cancer in 2016 and to see what she went through was so heart breaking. When you add to that these kids ages it’s hard to imagine – they should be running around outside with their friends, enjoying their childhoods, not stuck in a hospital with everything that comes with it. Any support we can give these kids and their families makes a huge difference. It’s something I am proud to be involved with and really passionate about. Check it out at FightCancer.org.au!

Lauren Williamson Lauren Williamson is a digital writer, editor and social media fiend who's a huge fan of tackling new wellness trends, eating her way through foreign countries and getting worked up over politics.

https://www.womenshealth.com.au/kezie-apps-nrlw

getsmarty

Immortal
studdonm_1nh_7546.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Studdon holds the key for Dragons' premiership chase
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 11:01 AM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Daniel Lacey believes new recruit Maddie Studdon is the key to the side's success in 2019 and is confident she'll handle the pressure of living up to the tag.

Lacey singled out Studdon when asked who had him impressed him most and after the club were dubbed pre-season favourites following an aggressive recruitment campaign.

Studdon, who endured a difficult experience at the Roosters last year, has bounced back into form this season, winning a National Championships title in June and earning player of the match honours for NSW at North Sydney Oval.

"She's been the one player that I don't think I could do this without her," Lacey told NRL.com.

"I've learnt as the year has gone on how important she is to me and a team. I liken her to the impact of what Honey Hireme did for us last year on and off the field. She keeps everyone calm and their goals on track.

"She's had a great year, if she can pull the same out in the NRLW we could see her on the big international stage at the end of the year maybe."

Studdon slices through for the Blues

Studdon has openly spoken of her challenges at the Roosters last season after coming off the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

She was left out of the Jillaroos squad for an end-of-season Test match after playing two games for the Tricolours before being dropped.

"You don't know if she put unreasonable pressure on her or whether they did," Lacey said.

"That's in the past now and players go through that, for a lot of these women it's a new experience for them and something Maddie had to overcome. I just hope we get to reap the rewards of her being back on track and wanting to excel."

Studdon now finds herself in a similar position with an expectation on the Dragons to reach the grand final this season based on the squad assembled.

It was a similar notion to the Roosters before a ball was kicked in 2018, and they struggled to live up to expectation.

She told NRL.com she held no mental scars and looked forward to working under Lacey, starting on Sunday against the Broncos at Bankwest Stadium.

"We can have the best team on paper but we can't get too far ahead of ourselves," Studdon said.

"We haven't even played a game together and don't know how we're going to go. The other three teams have key players in their squads who have played together longer.

"No one are favourites in my book, we're all at an elite level now and it's anyone's competition to win."

Dragons v Broncos: NRLW Round 1

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/13/studdon-holds-the-key-for-dragons-premiership-chase/

getsmarty

Immortal
breayley.jpg

DRAGONS

Five things: NRLW Round 1 v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 13 Sep 2019, 12:07 PM

The 2019 Holden Women's Premiership is finally here with our new-look side taking on defending premiers Brisbane Broncos. Before the season-opener on Sunday, here are five things to get you excited for the clash!

Brittany Breayley v Lavinia Gould

Both Breayley and Gould played together last year for the Broncos, with Gould stuck behind Breayley in the line-up. But with Breayley joining the Dragons, Gould gets her chance to prove her worth.

Breayley led the NRLW with four try assists last year and was ranked first in dummy-half runs (24) while topping the overall tackle count with 124.

Gould is a former New Zealand rugby sevens representative who has also played for the Queensland Reds in rugby union. Gould posses speed and a great pass that saw her score one try in last year's competition off the bench. Expect there to be a bit of spice between the two rivals as they come head-to-head.

Sergis' incredible pre-season form

A big recruitment drive for the 2019 season saw a host of new strike players join the Dragons. But their most dangerous player comes from the retention of centre Jessica Sergis.

Injuries have plagued the 21-year-old's career, but with a full bill of health Sergis has been on fire in the local Illawarra competition, and that's putting it lightly.

Playing for the Helensburgh Tigers in the Illawarra women's division, Sergis scored an astounding 32 tries in just 10 games. Yes, you read that right.

To make sense of those astronomical numbers, Sergis scored seven tries against Avondale, six against Port Kembla and picked up a hat-trick or more in six of her appearances.

To put into further context, the next highest try-scorer for the season was inaugural Dragons Women's Premiership and Corrimal centre Josie Strong (12).

Sunday's series opener also happens to fall on Sergis's birthday. Keep an eye on Sergis who will look to continue her freak try-scoring form while bagging a try for her birthday.

Coach's Preview: NRLW Round 1

Debutants galore

Sunday's match will feature plenty of new faces for both teams with a total of 21 debutants taking the field.

The Dragons have 12 new faces getting their first match with the Red V, with Stephanie Mooka, Tiana Penitani, Shaylee Bent, Takilele Katoa and Maddison Weatherall also set for their NRL Women's Premiership debuts.

The Broncos will field a team featuring nine debutants as they attempt to defend their 2018 premiership.

First hit-out

Limited pre-season time and conflicting player schedules prevented the Dragons from hosting a pre-season trial leaving plenty of unknowns on Sunday.

The Broncos played the PNG Orchids back in August, winning the game 14-0. A lot will remain to be seen for the Dragons as they hope everything clicks into gear easily under the pressure of an actual game.

History beckons

Last year the Dragons finished on the bottom of the ladder despite finishing on the same amount of wins as the New Zealand Warriors. But if they win on Sunday, they will be the first time to beat the Brisbane Broncos who went through last season undefeated.

History is also on the horizon if the Dragons can turn their fortunes around, and become the first Dragons women’s side to make the grand final, and potentially, their first-ever premiership win.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/13/five-things-nrlw-round-1-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-launch-190303_gt_084.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Fitter, faster, stronger: The numbers behind new NRLW standards
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Fitter, Faster, Stronger! That’s the mantra at every NRLW club as players and coaches prepare for the start of the second Holden Women’s Premiership this weekend.

"The pre-season has been awesome, we worked our way through a lot of fitness and a lot of hard work," Broncos winger Meg Ward said.

"One of our main goals was to get really fit and I think we have achieved that. We put together a really good pre-season program under the coaches and the girls are looking really fit and really strong."

It’s been the same across the four teams, with testing results indicating an increase of up to 15% in upper and lower body strength for the likes of St George Illawarra’s Rikeya Horne, Brisbane’s Julia Robinson and Sydney Roosters captain Simaima Taufa.

NRL.com has obtained testing data to highlight the best performing Broncos, Dragons and Roosters players in the categories of fitness, strength and speed ahead of the second NRLW season.

The Warriors declined to share any information from their testing but players said improving their fitness had been a focus of pre-season training.

"Last year myself and the team probably weren’t as fit as we could have been but this year just feels different and I think that we have definitely improved in our fitness," Warriors second-rower Tanika-Jazz Noble told NRL.com.

stat-attack-nrlw-fitness_20190914.jpg

Winger Hilda Mariu said: "This season the Warriors are going to be fitter, faster, smarter."

With a 40% turnover of talent from last season’s inaugural NRL Holden Women’s Premiership, players know they need to continue improving to maintain their positions.

In the past, some players had been resistant to weights training but exposure to high performance training programs has changed those attitudes.

Jillaroos strength and conditioning coach Simon Buxton said highlighting the achievements of the NRLW stars in the gym and on the training field was beneficial for the continued development of the women’s game as it showed what aspiring players need to strive to achieve.

"The fitness standards of the Australian team have gone up and the girls are meeting those standards with their aerobic fitness and since they have been in structured training programs they have become stronger," Buxton said.

"We regularly do testing and we are seeing increases of five to 10 to 15% per year in the upper and lower body strengths of the elite women."

Dragons v Broncos: NRLW Round 1

Broncos
Fitness
The Broncos use the 30-15 intermittent test to measure fitness. The 30-15 is a shuttle-type beep test which requires players to run 40 metres in 30-second intervals, with 15 seconds passive recovery. The first 40 metres is performed at 9km/h, with the speed increasing incrementally by 0.5km/h.

The best performers were rookie second-rower Jessika Elliston and Olympic rugby sevens gold medallist Amy Turner, each ran to the 20.5 level.

Speed
Jillaroos fullback Chelsea Baker and rookie playmaker Tarryn Aiken, an Australian touch football representative, hit 29km/h at training.

Strength
Prop Amber Paris-Hall (180kg deadlift x 3 Repetition Maximum), Wallaroos representative Millie Boyle (120kg squat x 3 RM), Jillaroos winger Julia Robinson (85kg bench press), frontrower Chelsea Lenarduzzi and second-rower Tazmin Gray (both 90kg bench press) have been the best performers in the gym.

Dragons not bothered by favourites tag

Dragons
Fitness
St George Illawarra NRLW strength and conditioning coach Chris Jaffrey reports the three standouts have been Jillaroos hooker Brittany Breayley, NSW captain Kezie Apps and boom utility Keeley Davis, who have all ran an 18 in the 30-15 intermittent fitness test.

Speed
Davis has the greatest acceleration, which is a good attribute to have for someone who plays halfback or hooker. Her times are 5m: 0.99secs, 10m: 1.77secs and 20m: 3.09secs.

Although the Dragons haven't tested through the 20-40m range, Jaffrey said centre Jess Sergis would be the quickest over those distances. Sergis has reached the fastest maximum velocity of 8.2 metres per second, according to GPS data.

Strength
The player with the greatest relative strength (strength-to-bodyweight ratio) is Rikeya Horne. She can squat 140kg for three repetitions, which is over double her body weight. Horne has also completed seven repetitions of weighted pull-ups with an additional 10kg.

Roosters know what to expect to go one better

Roosters
The Roosters said they had not done the same level of testing as other teams as their players had been tested in Jillaroos camps or at their Harvey Norman NSW Premiership clubs.

"I liken [the NRLW] to three mini-Origins, with a grand final at the end," Roosters coach Rick Stone said.

"A lot of these girls have had some Origin experience and some representative experience so it is a bit like a rep camp where you have a short window of opportunity to get them ready, and you have got to make sure they can hit the ground running and play their best."

Fitness
Rookie NSW five-eighth Kirra Dibb ran 19 in the 30-15 Intermittent Fitness Test at last month’s Jillaroos camp on the Gold Coast. "She is very fit," Buxton said.

Speed
Star centre Isabelle Kelly, the 2018 Golden Boot award winner as the best female player in the world, has run 20 metres in 2.97 seconds and is the fastest Jillaroos player, according to Buxton.

Strength
Buxton said Roosters captain Simaima Taufa was the strongest female player he had tested. The lock has performed a 160kg back squat x 3RM. "She can do a predicted 1RM up around 180kg, which is over two times her body weight," he said.

NRLW 2019
Who will win the Holden Women's Premiership?

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ronger-the-numbers-behind-new-nrlw-standards/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRLW 24-hour warning: Round 1 v Broncos
Author
Timestamp
Sat 14 Sep 2019, 02:05 PM

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Women's Premiership Round 1 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday, September 15.

Kicking off at 2:05pm, the Dragons have omitted Sarah Togatuki and Lexi Kiriwi from the initial 21-woman squad named on Tuesday.

NRL Women's Premiership squad for Round 1 v Brisbane Broncos –

1. Botille Vette-Welsh – sponsored by TripADeal
2. Stephanie Mooka
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Tiana Penitani – sponsored by CBC
5. Shakiah Tungai– sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
6. Kimiora Nati – sponsored by St.George Bank
7. Maddie Studdon
8. Teuila Fotu-Moala
9. Brittany Breayley – sponsored by Westfund Health Insurance
10. Maitua Feterika
11. Kezie Apps (c) – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Shaylee Bent
13. Holli Wheeler

Interchange:
14. Keeley Davis – sponsored by EFEX
15. Takilele Katoa – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
16. Maddison Weatherall
17. Ngatokotoru Arakua
18. Najvada George
19. Rikeya Horne

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/14/nrlw-24-hour-warning-round-1-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
sergisj-studdonm-1gp_9491.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRLW late mail: Round 1 v Broncos
Author
Timestamp
Sun 15 Sep 2019, 01:11 PM

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has finalised his 17 ahead of the Dragons' Women's Premiership Round 1 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday, September 15.

Kicking off at 2:05pm, the Dragons have dropped Rikeya Horne and Najvada George from the amended squad. Sarah Togatuki and Lexi Kiriwi were omitted from the initial 21-woman squad on Saturday.

NRL Women's Premiership team for Round 1 v Brisbane Broncos –

2. Stephanie Mooka
7. Maddie Studdon
8. Teuila Fotu-Moala
10. Maitua Feterika
12. Shaylee Bent
13. Holli Wheeler

Interchange:
16. Maddison Weatherall
17. Ngatokotoru Arakua

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/15/nrlw-late-mail-round-1-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons fall short in Round 1 of NRLW
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 15 Sep 2019, 03:30 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Brisbane have overcome a fast-starting Dragons outfit to run home 14-4 winners in their opening NRLW clash in front of a crowd of 6609 at Bankwest Stadium.

The fiery contest lived up to expectations with some bruising hits and plenty of feeling among the players with five former Broncos joining the Dragons squad in the off-season.

But it was the class of the reigning champions late in the second half that saw them pull away on the scoreboard after both sides were level 4-4 at half-time.

Broncos forward Amber Paris-Hall powered her way over the line with hooker Lavinia Gould executing a set play from close range in the 12th minute.

Paris-Hall was among the best on the paddock in her maiden appearance in the NRLW competition, while she was well supported by front row partner Millie Boyle.

The Broncos broke the deadlock midway through the second half when Amber Pilley kept the ball alive for Meg Ward to crash her way over on the right edge.

Ward scores in the corner to secure lead for Broncos

Veteran forward Rona Peters joined Paris-Hall to put on a jarring hit on Kezie Apps, before burrowing her way under the posts for the eventual match-winner late.

The Dragons, who were dubbed pre-season favourites after a mammoth recruitment campaign, started the clash well considering the side had never played a game with each other.

But their decision-making and kicking game late in the clash left a lot to be desired, while they coughed up the ball on three occasions to let the Broncos off the hook with the clock winding down.

Match: Dragons v Broncos

Round 1 - Sunday 15th September

Full Time

Home Team

Dragons

Scored 4 points

Away Team

Broncos

Scored 14 points

Venue: Bankwest Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • GEM
A no-try decision denied Dragons winger Shakiah Tungai in what would have been a second try of the day, which could have levelled the scores and set up a grandstand finish.

Tungai collected a kick from former Bronco Kimiora Nati earlier in the game to score out wide, while fullback Botille Vette-Welsh clocked up 174 metres in a beaten outfit.

Errors from key recruits Teuila Fotu-Moala and Maddie Studdon late in the piece killed off any chance of a comeback in the final five minutes.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/15/dragons-fall-short-in-round-1-of-nrlw/

getsmarty

Immortal
vette_walsh.jpg

DRAGONS

Stat attack: Round 1 NRLW v Broncos
Author
Timestamp
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 10:44 AM

With limited preparation, the Dragons women's team came up against an experienced and well-oiled Brisbane side on Sunday. Here is a run down of the by the numbers.

The breakdown

The star power was on display for the Dragons despite the scoreboard eventually getting away from them. But there were still plenty of positives to come out of Sunday's game in both defence and attack.

Attack – The Dragons had 53 per cent possession and ran for 1,112 metres compared to the Broncos with 1,062. The Dragons also had more tackles breaks (33) than Brisbane (26) and produced more offloads (Dragons six, Broncos four).

Defence – The Dragons also statistically won the defensive battle, with a higher tackle efficiency (86.3 per cent) to the Broncos (84.9 per cent) and conceded less post-contact metres.

Discipline – The Dragons completed only four of their final 10 sets giving the Broncos an opportunity to run away with the result, which the defending premiers made no mistake of doing.

Errors gave the Dragons little chance of getting back into the contest with 11 mistakes compared to the Broncos with seven. The Dragons also gave away eight penalties and received only three from the Broncos in return.

Star performance
Botille Vette-Walsh

Despite playing hooker in the recent Women's State of Origin for New South Wales, Vette-Walsh lined up at fullback and played a starring role for the Dragons.

Vette-Welsh topped the Dragons' numbers in almost every department, running for the most metres (176), most post-contact metres (57), and busting the most tackles (nine).

The New Zealand native also finished the game with a 100 per cent tackle efficiency and 67 kick return metres from four kick defuses.

If Women's Premiership fantasy were a thing, Vette-Welsh would have topped that count easily with 54 fantasy points (in only 60 minutes).

NRLW match highlights: Round 1 v Broncos

Important numbers
Completion rate

Despite getting more chances with the ball, the Dragons weren't able to make the most of it. The Dragons finished with a mediocre 69 per cent completion rate (22/32) while the Broncos performed much better with 79 per cent (23/29).

Disallowed tries

With the scores locked at 4-all at half-time and eventually only losing by 10 points, the two disallowed tries to the Dragons came back to hurt. The Dragons need to improve their execution in their do-or-die Round 2 match in New Zealand.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/16/stat-attack-round-1-nrlw-v-broncos/

getsmarty

Immortal
fotu-moalat_2nh_8922.jpg

JUDICIARY

Fotu-Moala charged by NRLW MRC
Author
Timestamp
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 12:48 PM

St George Illawarra forward Teuila Fotu-Moala has been charged with a grade two dangerous contact – head/neck charge by the NRL Women's Premiership match review committee.

The tackle occurred just prior to half-time on Brisbane Broncos' hooker Lavinia Gould.

Fotu-Moala will miss two weeks with an early guilty plea, although if the Kiwi Ferns international were to fight the charge and lose, she would be rubbed out of the Dragons' NRLW campaign in its entire.

The Dragons have until Tuesday to enter Fotu-Moala's plea.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/16/fotu-moala-charged-by-nrlw-mrc/

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-preview_rd02_2-warriors-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

NRLW match preview: Warriors v Dragons
Author
Timestamp
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 01:38 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

The Warriors host St George Illawarra in round two of the Holden Women's Premiership at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday, for the first time in NRLW history.

First-round winners the Warriors were impressive against the Roosters and now get their chance to play a standalone fixture in front of friends and family in Auckland.

A victory could book the Warriors into the 2019 grand final if results go their way, while a Dragons victory will keep them in reach of making the decider.

The Rundown
Key match-up
They're teammates at international level but now Annetta Nuuausala and Teuila Fotu-Moala will go head-to-head in a front-row battle that could play a huge part in the game. Both forwards like to stamp their authority early but had teammates around them last start that churned out a bigger workload. The Warriors did a job on the Roosters forward pack and the Dragons should expect a similar challenge.

For the Warriors to win
The creativity of Charntay Poko was the difference against the Roosters last start and the Warriors will be relying on her combination with Timaima Ravisa to keep on improving. If Poko can produce a similar game on home turf then the Dragons could be chasing their season in the final round of the competition.

Match: Warriors v Dragons

Round 2 - Sunday 22nd September

1:15pm

Home Team

Warriors

2nd Position

Away Team

Dragons

4th Position

Venue: Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • GEM
  • KAYO
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
For the Dragons to win
Put simply they need to just hold the ball. They had plenty of chances against the Broncos but were their own worst enemies with a 62 per cent completion rate in the second half. It was always going to take time for the side to jell but it's time they don't have in such a short competition.

Stat Attack
The kicking game of Poko was enormous for the Warriors with a whopping 515 metres off the boot. However, Poko was the only player in the line-up to kick the ball against the Roosters, which should allow the Dragons to focus on her as the main playmaker in terms of kick pressure.

And another thing ...
The clash will include at least six Dragons players with a Kiwi background returning home to New Zealand.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/16/nrlw-match-preview-warriors-v-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
sergisj-1gp_5505.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

NRLW Team of the Week: Round 1
Author
Timestamp
Mon 16 Sep 2019, 04:22 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

The opening round of the Holden Women's Premiership produced two high-quality games and some incredible individual performances.

The Warriors were impressive in round one to beat the Roosters 16-12, before defending premiers Brisbane were pushed until late in the second half to get the win over St George Illawarra 14-4 at Bankwest Stadium.

NRL.com's Team of the week
1. Botille Vette-Welsh (Dragons)
A constant threat with ball in hand, running for a game-high 176 metres with nine tackle busts and 57 post-contact metres in a beaten side.

2. Isabelle Kelly (Roosters)
Had 19 carries for 191 metres in another dominant performance. Made a couple of errors but her overall game cannot be questioned. Needs early ball to convert opportunities into points.

3. Jess Sergis (Dragons)
Looked dangerous with her carries and was aggressive in defence. Finished the game with six tackle busts and 75 metres.

4. Jules Newman (Warriors)
Contained opposite number Isabelle Kelly well considering she was playing in her first-ever elite rugby league match. Finished the game with eight carries and two tackle busts.

nrlw-team-of-the-week_20190916.jpg

5. Shakiah Tungai (Dragons)
Scored the Dragons' opening try, pulled off a crunching hit on Amy Turner to snuff out a Broncos raid and was denied a second try in unlucky fashion late in the clash.

6. Raecene McGregor (Broncos)
Was sound on debut for the club to play a supporting role alongside Ali Brigginshaw in the halves. Finished the game with six carries and 159 kick metres.

7. Charntay Poko (Warriors)
The star of the round with a try, 40/30 kick and 515 kicking metres in total, the best by any player for a game in NRLW history.

Poko dives over to secure the lead for the Warriors

8. Amber Paris-Hall (Broncos)
A dominant display from the 24-year-old Kiwi Ferns representative with a try, 81 metres and 20 tackles.

9. Krystal Rota (Warriors)
Ran for 81 metres with a try assist, 35 tackles and an offload in a solid day out for the Warriors hooker.

10. Rona Peters (Broncos)
Led from the front for some of the younger members of the Broncos pack. Pulled off a big hit on Kezie Apps and broke the deadlock with an individual try in the second half.

11. Tallisha Harden (Roosters)
A fine debut for the Tricolours after relocating from the Broncos in the off-season. Ran for 62 metres with three tackle busts. Her combination with Mel Howard on the left edge looked threatening.

12. Kezie Apps (Dragons)
One of her best performances for the Red V with a long-range break and strong yardage on the edges. Came off for a head injury assessment but still managed six tackle busts and 116 metres.

13. Simaima Taufa (Roosters)
A captain's knock from the Roosters leader with two tries, 12 carries and 34 tackles. Needs help from some of her other teammates in the engine room.

Taufa scores the first try of NRLW season two

14. Lavinia Gould (Broncos)
Looked dangerous in attack to set up the Broncos' first try before being on the end of a crusher tackle and another head knock to be forced from the field. Still managed to top the tackle count with 35 in just 41 minutes.

15. Kirra Dibb (Roosters)
Pulled off a miraculous try-saver on Onjeurlina Leiataua and tried hard with 10 runs and 124 kick metres.

16. Georgia Hale (Warriors)
Scored the side's first try and topped the tackle count with 40, including none missed, in a real skipper's knock.

17. Millie Boyle (Broncos)
Ran for a team-high 106 metres with 21 tackles in just 31 minutes on the paddock in a solid debut outing.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/17/nrlw-team-of-the-week-round-1/

getsmarty

Immortal
studdonm-1gp_6480.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRLW team: Round 2 v New Zealand Warriors
Author
Timestamp
Tue 17 Sep 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey has named his mandatory 21-woman squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 2 clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday, September 22.

Match: Warriors v Dragons

Round 2 - Sunday 22nd September

1:15pm

Home Team

Warriors

2nd Position

Away Team

Dragons

4th Position

Venue: Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • GEM
  • KAYO
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The game will kick-off at 3:15pm NZT (1:15pm AEST) in what is the first-ever standalone NRL Holden Women's Premiership fixture.

The Dragons are unchanged, pending the outcome of Teuila Fotu-Moala's judiciary hearing on Tuesday evening. Although, Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili (concussion) has been named in the extended squad for the first time.

remote.axd

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access this video and other exclusive content.

Already have an NRL Account?
Not sure? Learn more about NRL Account

NRL Women's Premiership squad for Round 2 v New Zealand Warriors –

2. Stephanie Mooka
7. Maddie Studdon
8. Teuila Fotu-Moala
10. Maitua Feterika
12. Shaylee Bent
13. Holli Wheeler

Interchange:
16. Maddison Weatherall
17. Ngatokotoru Arakua
18. Najvada George
19. Rikeya Horne
20. Lexi Kiriwi
21. Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/17/nrlw-team-round-2-v-new-zealand-warriors/

getsmarty

Immortal
fotu-moalat_2nh_8922.jpg

JUDICIARY

Fotu-Moala rubbed out of NRLW season
Author
Timestamp
Tue 17 Sep 2019, 08:18 PM

By Alicia Newton - NRL.com

St George Illawarra forward Teuila Fotu-Moala has been rubbed out for the remainder of the NRLW season after unsuccessfully seeking a downgrade for a crusher tackle on Tuesday night.

Fotu-Moala became the first player in NRLW history to be charged by the match review committee after attracting a grade two charge for a tackle on Broncos hooker Lavinia Gould in Sunday’s loss at Bankwest Stadium.

She pleaded guilty to the charge but sought a downgrade.

Looking relaxed and sporting a smile, Fotu-Moala sat alongside her representative team as NRL counsellor Peter McGrath noted her lack of awareness and recklessness in the tackle attempt.

Fotu-Moala’s team argued Gould’s head positioning falling into the tackle had played a part.

But her bid failed and Fotu-Moala was suspended for three games.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/17/fotu-moala-rubbed-out-for-the-season-by-judiciary/