What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next long term test captain (after Tim Paine)

Next test captain?

• Steve Smith

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Nathan Lyon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Travis Head

• Pat Cummins

• Josh Hazlewood

• Usman Khawaja

• Mitchell Marsh

• Other

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Marnus Labuschagne

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

TheParraboy

Staff member
Nothing like a poll to sort it out. By long term 3+ years

If there is a serious contender not on the list let me know and i'll add it

Currently (for the ashes tour anyway) Head and Cummins are the v/c

TheParraboy

Staff member
I've gone Steve Smith. Other players and captains came back from ball tempering to lead their sides well, why not Smith? Served his time. Our best long term option for mine

I like Head and Khawaja but not sure they can cement a place in the side consistently

If - a frigging big IF , he gets some consistent test form under his belt then Mitch Marsh possibly, but needs a good solid 18 months of form

Not a fan of one of the bowlers doing it. Probably Cummins the best suited

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Head and Oozie cant hold down a batting spot, has to be the Smudge

I cant see any other realistic option.

Maybe Lotsachange could be the "other" from left field, he certainly has the head space for it from what I've seen.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The cupboard is very bare, even barer than when we had to resort to Watto to captain for a test.

Head would be my choice but as twizzle said he can't hold his spot on the team.

JW

Coach
Same as Twiz. Despite his past failings as a leader, Smith with Lasagne as the roughy.

That's far from ideal though and would much prefer Smithy not have that responsibility heaped on him again while he's busy going in hard and dry on the world's bowling attacks.

It all highlights how bad our leadership stocks at the top level have been in since Pup gave it away. Warner and Levers have been/are VCs. What an absolute mess.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Mitch Marsh would be the best choice if he was actually good at cricket,he has a good head on his shoulders despite being a plodder

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I've gone Steve Smith. Other players and captains came back from ball tempering to lead their sides well, why not Smith? Served his time. Our best long term option for mine

I like Head and Khawaja but not sure they can cement a place in the side consistently

If - a frigging big IF , he gets some consistent test form under his belt then Mitch Marsh possibly, but needs a good solid 18 months of form

Not a fan of one of the bowlers doing it. Probably Cummins the best suited

+1 He would be a good captain if he was actually good at cricket,but than again Tim Paine isn't good at cricket so you never know

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mitch Marsh bowls one good spell of a bowling and where looking to make him Pope.

but he has these

14504500_f520.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just on Labs, if he was to be considered he would need a decent summer.

So far he has had 2 good Ashes test matches but he was toilet last summer. Levers has only had 1 good session, not even 1 good test match yet. Ben Stokes he isn't.

Eelectrica

Referee
Smith to me is the choice.
Lab and Head are still establishing themselves in the team and to thrust captaincy on them on top of it seems too much.

With Smith I think he's learned a lot from his SA experience and would come back better for it.

I don't think sponsors would be an issue with Smith. Everyone loves a good redemption story.

A bowler is an interesting choice. Cummins, Hazlewood and Lyon are as much a lock as anyone to be in the team. I don't see Lyon as captain though.
If they had to miss a game the VC steps up.

simmo1

First Grade
They won't go a fast bowler as it will make their rotation policy look even stupider if they are resting the captain.

It will be Smith. From there it's anyone's guess as it's likely at least another 5-6 years before he gives it away.

typicalfan

Coach
Smith and if his trajectory is still going up maybe they will groom Marnus. Lyon was my preference during the ban. Marnus in 5 or so years is likely after Smith gives it away.

Latest posts