What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French News

France’s Super League players travelled to Salses last week to train in preparation for the Nines World Cup, with the exception of St Helens half-back Theo Fages. Also missing was Toronto’s Hakim Miloudi. Coach Aurelien Cologni has already had Romain Navarrete, Fages and Morgan Escare confirm for the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
First Aussie in Avignon

Avignon have signed young Australian scrum-half Jack Payne. Payne, 22, has been playing in the junior ranks at St George-Illawarra Dragons.

World Cup ambitions for French referees

The head of French referees, Mohamed Drizza, has praised the progess of his officials on the international scene. A number will officiate at the African Cup and the European World Cup qualification phases. Drizza then hopes to see a number officiate at the 2021 World Cup.

Three more signings at VARL

Villefranche-XIII-Aveyron.jpg

After the departure of Louis Anderson, VARL have moved quickly to make three new signings. Kiwi Dylan Puke joins from Villefranche, along with Philippe Azema and Benjamin Diaz.

Tumusa pulls out of Carcassonne deal

Kiwi back Tony Tumusa has had to back out of his new one-year deal at 2019 Coupe de France winners Carcassonne due to personal reasons. He made 10 appearances last season having swapped Redcliffe Dolphins to move to France.

ADVERTISEMENT
Biville targets Women’s NRL

Laureane Biville is part of a 36-woman squad that will go on trial to be selected for the first Gold Coast Titans Women’s NRL side. Winger Biville, 20, has been a revelation while playing for Brisbane club, Easts Tigers, and recently returned to France for injury treatment.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...l-as-french-referees-chief-targets-world-cup/

Catalans hooker Alrix Da Costa has signed a new two-year deal with the club.

The 21-year-old will remain at the Stade Gilbert Brutus until the end of the 2021 campaign.

A France international, Da Costa has made 54 appearances for the Dragons since making his professional debut in 2016.

Da Costa commented: “I’m delighted to sign a new contract with the Dragons.

“I love the club, I’m glad to be a part of it and of this squad.

“The club is moving forward every year and I want to help the Dragons to win their first Super League trophy.

“I’m looking forward to continue my development as a player and as a man and I would like to thank the staff, the players and the chairman Bernard Guasch for the faith they have in me.”

Catalans coach Steve McNamara added: “We are pleased Alrix has committed himself to the Dragons and look forward to seeing his game progress over the next two seasons.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/alrix-da-costa-extends-catalans-stay/

Three clubs keen on Gigot

Tony Gigot has announced that he will leave Catalans Dragons when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Love Rugby League partners in France – Treize Mondial – understand that Huddersfield Giants, Toronto Wolfpack and St George Illawarra Dragons have all made their interest known in the France international. Gigot, 28, has scored 49 tries in 140 appearances for the Dragons, as well as kicking 54 goals and 13 drop goals. He has earned 12 caps for his country.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-178/

Stallion

First Grade
Three clubs keen on Gigot

Tony Gigot has announced that he will leave Catalans Dragons when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Love Rugby League partners in France – Treize Mondial – understand that Huddersfield Giants, Toronto Wolfpack and St George Illawarra Dragons have all made their interest known in the France international. Gigot, 28, has scored 49 tries in 140 appearances for the Dragons, as well as kicking 54 goals and 13 drop goals. He has earned 12 caps for his country.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/off-the-record-rugby-league-rumours-and-gossip-178/

On a slightly different note. I noticed the massive celebratory crowd response in Warrington for the Challenge Cup victory. Hopefully this will strengthen the code in a heartland area! It was aired on FOX 360 last night. Impressive!

Toulon sign three players from Wigan

Toulon, who will play their second season in the Elite 2 Championship, want to continue progress and they are aiming for a place in Elite 1 in the coming years. They have brought in three players from Wigan St Patrick’s community club – Ricki Allan, Finn Langdale and Snow Velvin. This experimental signing is a boost for the club, with the trio having experience of playing together before.

Morocco prepare for African Cup

Morocco have continued their preparations for the upcoming African Cup by winning both games of a tournament in Entraigues. Morocco beat both Entraigues and Lyon, while the hosts also defeated Lyon to take second place.

Pettybourne back in France

Former Wigan and NRL forward Eddy Pettybourne is returning to France to join Villeneuve in the Elite 1 Championship. The 31-year-old, who has seven caps for USA, spent 2018 with Toulouse, making 10 appearances but was let go after an underwhelming campaign, so will be looking to prove his quality again.

Star half heads to Palau

Kamel-Belkhiri-Baho-vs-Entraigues.jpg

The Elite 2 Championship half of the year, Kamel Belkhiri, is making the step up to Elite 1 Championship for the upcoming season with Palau. Palau won the race to sign a player who scored 20 tries in 15 games last season.

Albert wants Dragons stay

Young Catalans half-back or hooker Lucas Albert wants to stay with Catalans Dragons, despite media speculation linking him with a move away from Perpignan. He told Treize Mondial: “I want to prove that I can play Catalan Dragons at my post, I work every day in training to get to that.”

Serbian international heads to Villefranche

Serbian international Milos Calic has left Villeneuve to join Villefranche in the Elite 2 Championship. Calic, 27, is a back-rower that moved to France from Red Star Belgrade, and makes the move for more game time.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...rio-head-to-toulon-albert-wants-dragons-stay/

Storm13

Juniors
Should Catalans and Toulouse give up on future Challenge Cup campaigns?

I would rather see a three match series between Catalan and Toulouse or a Tri Series between Toulouse, Catalan and a select side from Elite 1. This would be played during CC fixtures.

FFR XIII has unveiled the program awaiting its U19s in New Zealand, between 25 September and 7 October.

We know more about the tour that the French U19s will perform in New Zealand. An enticing program that will see the Blues play four games. So after an arrival in Christchurch, and 2 training, the group will face the September 27 selection of U20 South Island. In the wake they will fly to Auckland and then go directly to Waikato for a new training session, before facing the U20 Waikato.

The Blueberries will then take the direction of Rotorua and October 3 will be the match against the NZ residents U18. Finally after a return to Auckland, the tour will end with a final test at Pulman Park against the selection of Auckland. A big program for young French but also a great experience to take into view, for some, of the 2021 World Cup they could be part of.
https://treizemondial.fr/le-programme-des-bleuets-en-nouvelle-zelande/

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Dragons winger Jodie broughton has signed for championship side Halifax for next season. Hopefully his place in the dragons squad will be filled by a Frenchman.

Hopefully the dragons will offload Lewis tierney next.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...-back-after-two-year-ban-and-new-look-toulon/

Pomeroy back in France

Former Warrington and NRL centre Ben Pomeroy has been convinced to stay in France, despite previously announcing plans to return home. Former Super League player Olivier Elima has persuaded the 35-year-old to move to Palau to help their young players.

Carcassonne land Pellow

Carcassonne have signed Australian full-back Tony Pellow, who scored 13 tries in 11 matches for Western Suburbs in the Illawarra Cup last season. He fills the void left by the departing Tony Tumusa.

Martins returns to action

Former Hull KR and Catalans prop Sebastien Martins is to return to rugby league with Lezignan following a two-year drugs ban. Martins, 33, was sidelined following an incident relating to a test at the same time that Tony Gigot also received a ban. He has also turned out for Toulouse, Whitehaven, North Wales and Newcastle.

New name for Toulon

Ambitious Elite 2 side Toulon will now be known as Toulon XIII Metropole Marlins. They have also appointed Chantal Ruidavets as their new president, succeeding Laurent Gavarri who departed a few weeks ago. The club is aiming for promotion to the Elite 1 Championship in the coming seasons.

Biville impresses in WNRL

Laure%CC%81ane-Biville-Titans-WNRL.jpg

French international winger Laueane Biville impressed in her first try out for the Gold Coast Titans WNRL team. She helped set up two tries and hopes to earn a long-term deal.

Greek international signs

Salon coach Rachid Amraoui has signed Greece international Jake Vrahnos. The 24-year-old has scored six tries in six caps for his country, and makes the move from Down Under to add some experience to Salon’s youthful side.

Bordeaux join women’s ranks

A team linked with the top flight Girondins de Bordeaux football club will enter the French Women’s Elite 1 rugby league Championship. Behind the project is Charlotte Campanella. She said: “A lot of players of very good level and already having a solid track record work on Bordeaux. And they want to be able to play rugby league and transmit their experience in an ambitious club. If we want to grow this club, promote the XIII on the city of Bordeaux, train young people and supervise them properly, it takes resources. If it is clearly a question of “being crowned champions of France in the very short term”, the strategy is rather to do “things in stages.”

The French Elite 1 Championship kicks off on November 16 with their version of the Magic Weekend at Carcassonne’s Stade Albert Domec, and Love Rugby League will be there to cover the whole weekend LIVE.

We met Chantal Ruidavets, the new president of the Marlins de Toulon XIII Métropole, who expresses her choice and plans for the club.

Hello Chantal, can you introduce yourself?

My name is Chantal Ruidavets, I live and work in Toulon but I was born and I lived a long time in Perpignan.
I belong to a family of treizistes since my brother Christophe, former player of XIII Catalan, is leader of the club of Toulon XIII since its creation and is also member of the steering committee of the FFR XIII. My father Gérard was a leader for 25 years in the XIII Catalan and president of Barcarès XIII. The XIII runs therefore in my veins since I was very small, having grown on the banks of the Gilbert Brutus stadium in Perpignan.

How did you become president of Toulon?

I have been following the activity and results of the club for a long time. Also, when my brother told me that Laurent Gavarri wanted to resign, we spent a lot of time discussing the possibilities of taking over the club. I met other members of the association, we built a project and after reflection, I finally decided to apply.

What are your first structural goals as president? And longer-term goals?

Our club project, established over 4 seasons, revolves around 2 major and complementary objectives.
The first, which we called "Marlins Elite", focused on sports performance, aims to make Marlins Toulon a major team of the elite of French rugby league. This first season is reflected in targeted recruitment and, above all, the strengthening of supervision with the arrival of Justin Murphy, a new fitness trainer and the signing of an agreement with the sports medicine center. Toulon hospital center for performance monitoring.
The second objective, called "Marlins from 7 to 77 years old" is more focused on education and sport health / well-being for all. It's about being able to offer a sport offer to all age groups, from 7 years old and under at the rugby school, to the oldest of us via the SILVER XIII activity, going through the quadra or fifties with the activities FIT XIII and TOUCH XIII.

This is an ambitious but realistic project because the club has solid foundations, a good reputation and institutional and private partners who are ready to follow us.

Why did you choose to work with Justin Murphy?

The analysis of the club and its performances revealed two major weaknesses.
The first is that we have high quality players who do not have treizist culture. The second is that if the club wants to evolve into Elite 1, it must become professional both at the locker room and in its general operation.
Justin Murphy is the right person to help us fix these weaknesses. He is a reference in the middle of the XIII, having played in the biggest championships on the planet treiziste, and he has all the skills to make our good rugby players very good rugby league players.
His knowledge of the major professional clubs will also be valuable to us to evolve structurally our club towards the professionalism and the high level.

Where are you from recruitment?

We have expanded our team with young players who already have good experience of the XIII. We are waiting to take stock of the workforce with Justin Murphy but most of our recruitment is done.

What are the sporting goals for this season?

This year is a year of transition and construction. Moreover, it's only our second season in Elite 2. So if we qualify for the finals it will already be a good result.

Dimitri Falatko
Chantal-Ruidavets-Toulon-XIII.png

https://treizemondial.fr/chantal-ruidavets-le-xiii-coule-dans-mes-veines/

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Growing the game in Toulon and Montpelier and maybe even Bordeaux in the near future will only strengthen RL in France.

The game in France needs to concentrate on developing in the big towns and cities instead of village teams.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Toulon have been excellent since their inception.

Lyon-Villeurbanne would be next in line for Elite 1, then possibly Montpellier if the Sharks works out, but that is a long way off.

With those extra teams it would provide a good coverage of southern major populaces - Lyon, Avignon, Toulon, Montpellier, Perpignan, Toulouse and to a lesser degree the satellite towns around Toulouse (Carcassonne/Albi/Villeneuve etc). Missing in there are Marseille and Nice, but these are strong soccer cities. Marseille could possibly do something: they have a confirmed league history and a compentent women's team. Bordeaux has a long way to go get near elite. Forget the Basque country - too union.

Nevertheless, it would be a solid base to work off for a more mediatised national comp. Would need an elite team in Paris to be taken seriously though.

adamkungl

Immortal

Lyon-Villeurbanne would be next in line for Elite 1, then possibly Montpellier if the Sharks works out, but that is a long way off.

With those extra teams it would provide a good coverage of southern major populaces - Lyon, Avignon, Toulon, Montpellier, Perpignan, Toulouse and to a lesser degree the satellite towns around Toulouse (Carcassonne/Albi/Villeneuve etc). Missing in there are Marseille and Nice, but these are strong soccer cities. Marseille could possibly do something: they have a confirmed league history and a compentent women's team. Bordeaux has a long way to go get near elite. Forget the Basque country - too union.

Nevertheless, it would be a solid base to work off for a more mediatised national comp. Would need an elite team in Paris to be taken seriously though.

Get on the Powerball $150M next week
We need a Rugby League expansionist to win it hahaha

Walter sobchak

First Grade

Cities like Marseille, Bordeaux and even Paris which would be harder for the domestic French RL to crack should be targeted for future expansion French teams playing in the U.K. league structure alongside the likes of Catalan and Toulouse.

Latest posts