What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Depends what the alternative is. If in this case its the 80k ANZ then you wouldnt move it from Bankwest, but moving the Tigers game to a state of the art 30k stadium isnt silly at all, unless your still stuck in the 1980's mentality of the game.
All this shows is that you don't understand the complexity of what attracts an NRL crowd in Sydney.

Part of the pull of the crowd figure on Sunday was Leichhardt. It was one of the factors that contributed to the full house 19k.

Take that factor out, and the other factors probably aren't enough to bump it up to 30k. WT didn't even fill Bankwest when they hosted the Eels (who accounted for the bulk of the crowd) and their remaining games there drew poorly. Add in that Cronulla are the away team and Bankwest is further from the Shire than Leichhardt, then their fans would be less inclined to travel.

Sure, it probably would've topped the 19k Leichhardt got, but it could be argued the occasion would've been lesser for it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All this shows is that you don't understand the complexity of what attracts an NRL crowd in Sydney.

Part of the pull of the crowd figure on Sunday was Leichhardt. It was one of the factors that contributed to the full house 19k.

Take that factor out, and the other factors probably aren't enough to bump it up to 30k. WT didn't even fill Bankwest when they hosted the Eels (who accounted for the bulk of the crowd) and their remaining games there drew poorly. Add in that Cronulla are the away team and Bankwest is further from the Shire than Leichhardt, then their fans would be less inclined to travel.

Sure, it probably would've topped the 19k Leichhardt got, but it could be argued the occasion would've been lesser for it.

Id say the Robbie/Gallen end of an era and the battle for the playoffs were bigger pulls but we are both just putting forward unprovable hypotheticals. Humans are humans and behaviour is pretty predictable, NRL fans are really not any different to any sports fans all over the world despite what some of you like to think about sydney being some unique factor.
You may be right about the occasion (though personally for me sell out crowd at an amazing stadium like Bankwest would top it but that's me, I'm not a living in the past sort of guy) but lets not sugar coat it and certainly not think because all factors came together for one good day at at a shthole that they really have any significant future place in a modern professional sport.

Stallion

First Grade
Id say the Robbie/Gallen end of an era and the battle for the playoffs were bigger pulls but we are both just putting forward unprovable hypotheticals. Humans are humans and behaviour is pretty predictable, NRL fans are really not any different to any sports fans all over the world despite what some of you like to think about sydney being some unique factor.
You may be right about the occasion (though personally for me sell out crowd at an amazing stadium like Bankwest would top it but that's me, I'm not a living in the past sort of guy) but lets not sugar coat it and certainly not think because all factors came together for one good day at at a shthole that they really have any significant future place in a modern professional sport.

Seeing a sea of heads on that Leichardt Oval hill was an impressive sight for any sports fan. Shame it wasn't on FTA tv! The packed house sends a message of culture and intense rivalry and importance in a ground that isn't their to attract such a crowd but does so because the importance and following of the game did!

Quicksilver

Bench
There are few things better than sitting on a grass hill on a sunny spring day, drinking beer and watching footy.

It is actually enjoyable.

It’s not like people are going along to have a shit time.

Quicksilver

Bench
And it’s really bad on a Saturday night when it’s pouring with rain and there no where to sit.

So don’t play there on a Saturday night too often. Not hard considering they only play a handful of games there anyway.

On the upside it can be pleasant of a night too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The number of people who think the world is black-and-white and absolute is remarkable.

There is no doubt the NRL needs to look at the AFL's model more closely when it comes to stadium centralisation and playing more matches at larger modern venues, but dismissing them out of hand is ridiculous - the Tigers for example have already moved to minimise the games they play there and at Campbelltown.

Stallion

First Grade
The SCG holds 45000. So looks like at least 30000? I was there on Anzac Day (38000)and it's not far from that. I'd say approaching 35000.

Latest posts