What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
They’re good if you want to be a static, semi-professional sport. Park footy is for low grade footy. Centralise stadiums for Sydney teams. It will take a while but if not, the 15k average won’t be improving much for a while

Dissagree. They have their place. It's a boutique experience full of cultural significance and banter. Doesn't have to be every game but should be used over the season to keep a crucial local cultural aesthetic in place. It helps garnish local fanbase loyalty and interest in club tribalism. The: your ground/our ground scenario between opposing fans. Neutrals actually like the concept of such culturally significant home grounds and their specific individuality . It's not a fabricated or mass produced thing . It's a look into genuine local culture and the Aussies from that part of the city that host and enjoy their footy which is clearly the best in the world! Sure the stadiums are a good look too where appropriate and I'm not against that. But the charm of the grounds with the hill is Aussie to the core. And this should not be lost. It engenders a more powerful fan loyalty to this great code we so much admire and love. It's special! Just like our rugby league!

Last edited:

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Dissagree. They have their place. It's a boutique experience full of cultural significance and banter. Doesn't have to be every game but should be used over the season to keep a crucial local cultural aesthetic in place. It helps garnish local fanbase loyalty and interest club tribalism. The: your ground our ground scenario between opposing fans. Neutrals actually like the concept of the culturally significant home grounds and their specific individuality . It's not a fabricates or mass produced thing . It's a look into genuine local culture and the Aussies from that part of the city that host and enjoy their footy which is clearly the best on the world! Sure the stadiums are a good look too and I'm not against that but the charm of the grounds with the hill is Aussie to the core. And this should not be lost. It engenders a more powerful fan loyalty to this great code we so.much admire and love. It's special! Just like our rugby league!

Rubbish. I live in a city where tribalism is significant and it fills large stadiums regularly. Centralised stadiums where people travel from all over to attend and cheer their team. The NRL can do this if they have enough balls to push for it long term. Park stadiums should be for local park footy. Not a sport worth billions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rubbish. I live in a city where tribalism is significant and it fills large stadiums regularly. Centralised stadiums where people travel from all over to attend and cheer their team. The NRL can do this if they have enough balls to push for it long term.

Dave smith knew this, he was run out of town.

Stallion

First Grade
Rubbish. I live in a city where tribalism is significant and it fills large stadiums regularly. Centralised stadiums where people travel from all over to attend and cheer their team. The NRL can do this if they have enough balls to push for it long term. Park stadiums should be for local park footy. Not a sport worth billions.

Are you Aussie born and if so did you grow up in Australia?

Stallion

First Grade
Yes, Aussie born bred and eyes open to hard decisions needed to progress a large scale, popular, professional sport.

Lol. Did you grow up in Sydney? And have you been on a hill at the footy or cricket?
Remembering most fans are not against the stadium scenario(I'm not against stadiums ) but having a bit of both is great! You would be surprised at neutrals whom relish the opportunity to witness the local sporting culture. Scenes like we see at Leichardt Oval last Sunday are very Australian and do impress others believe it or not.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Lol. Did you grow up in Sydney? And have you been on a hill at the footy or cricket?

No, not Sydney, been there, but I have seen first hand what success looks like and you can either sit on your hands and say “that’ll do” and be average, or strive to grow and modernise. I’ve been on plenty of hills at the footy and cricket. Park sport that is, not professional sport. It’s great, but nothing beats a stadium shaking with thousands of excited supporters.

taipan

Referee
Dave smith knew this, he was run out of town.

Like the others before him, so he should.
Gould asked him about where rugby league should be in 10 years, and apparently he had no idea.IOW he's just a banking version of Gallop or Grant.Did not understand rl politics, the game itself and the fans who followed it.He had some good points with lobbying Govt,and handling ASADA.

Anyway it's in the past now, and the State Govt has already allocated decent sums to Manly/Souths/Wets Tigers/Sharks for Centres of Excellence for their suburban grounds.The Govt see a future for the outer city stadiums.

People forget we get half full stadiums at Melbourne,Titans,Auckland.,North Qld at times
Even Suncorp at times gets around the 22,000 mark.All city stadiums.If that's a good look, I'm not here.They look good with crowds at least 3/4 full.

Stallion

First Grade
No, not Sydney, been there, but I have seen first hand what success looks like and you can either sit on your hands and say “that’ll do” and be average, or strive to grow and modernise. I’ve been on plenty of hills at the footy and cricket. Park sport that is, not professional sport. It’s great, but nothing beats a stadium shaking with thousands of excited supporters.

Sydney is different. It's geography necessitates a territorial rivalry like no other. A balance of stadium and local ground use is the prudent way to harness fan connection. It's not an all in one scenario for Sydney. Sure upgrade the grounds with new grandstands and facilities but never lose the character of the Aussie hill. It's gold! And yes ofcourse use stadiums for the games as well. A balance is better for Sydney fans and this great and unique competition.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I was saying to friends at the game before the crowd was posted that it is a good crowd but not a great crowd, the upper deck of the Brewongle and Churchill were very sparsely populated and the upper deck of the Bradman didn't look very full either. Just over 30,000 Is just a pass mark.

Latest posts