What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year

age.s

First Grade
Edwards 6 - Solid as usual. Intercept try was a poor ball but he was safe as a house otherwise.
Crichton 6 - Looked a bit ginger in open space which surprised me. Injured? Not that involved but one really good take of a high ball.
Whare 6 - Really good hands for To'os try. Hope he's here next year in some capacity.
Luai 8 - Great effort being drafted pre game into an unfamiliar position. Some excellent cover work in defense too. We're a better team with him in it.
To'o 7 - Big meters and electric work for his try. He's just great. Shame about the injury.
Maloney 6 - Quiet game. A few poor plays but some nice long passes to feed our edges. Going through the motions a bit. All the best Jimmy.
Cleary 9 - Outstanding game. 4 tries and some really nice subtle work outside of it.
Tamou 7 - Good effort and even got himself a line break.
Egan 8 - Excellent performance. Api will need to watch his back. Service was good, defense was good, the deception for Leotas try was sublime.
Leota 8 - Thriving in his new role. Loads of energy with and without the ball. Hope theres a plan to keep his minutes high. Deserved his try.
Kikau 7 - A poor miss led to a line break but much more damaging with the ball. Some good cover defense too.
Martin 6 - Some good runs and big hits sprinkled with some poor hands. Needs to improve that side if his game.
JFH 8 - Leader of a dominant pack.

Leinu 7 - Barnstorming. Runs with so much venom. Got more time and ball which was nice.
Burns 8 - Outstanding. Two well deserved tries. Great hands on several occasions got the ball to his winger fast. We need a centre next year. Just saying...
RCG 8 - Quite the statement in probably his last game for the club. Shame he couldn't play like that more often.
Katoa 5 - Not much time to impress. Has such a good looking pass off the ground.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Edwards 7
Crichton 6
Whare 5
Luai 7
To'o 8
Maloney 5
Cleary 10
Tamou 7
Egan 8
Leota 8
Kikau 8
Martin 7
Fisher-Harris 8

Leniu 6
Burns 7
Campbell-Gillard 9
Katoa 5

Pomoz

Bench
Edwards 7
Crichton 7
Whare 7
Luai 7
To'o 8
Maloney 7
Cleary 9
Tamou 7
Egan 8
Leota 7
Kikau 8
Martin 7
Fisher-Harris 7

Leniu 7
Burns 7
Campbell-Gillard 8
Katoa 7

The Knights were awful, but you can only play what's in front of you. Nobody really played badly for us and the forwards all made 100m+ except for Leniu who only had 29 minutes. Somehow Too managed to rack up 130m in only one half of football and was on track for 200M plus game, the man is a star. Other points:
  • Cleary deserves MOM status and the question you ask is where is that running game in the other 21 games of the season? If we played the Sharks and Knights on a rotational basis, he would be a superstar. At the moment he needs to lose any idea that he is a ball player. If he does that, runs at the line frequently and lets others do the ball playing, we might finally see our attack click in the opposition 20.
  • Burns looked comfortable in the centres and dare I say, seems to have footy IQ, which most of our team lack.
  • RCG. Where have you been? You would be welcome to stay if you played like that every week. How sad it is that he will go after coming through all the grades and is Penrith to the core. Sigh.
  • Ponga won't stay at the Knights. He looks completely disinterested and nothing like the player who played at lock in SOO and was cutting NSW players in half with his tackles. Sad to see. I hoped the Knights would get value out of him after investing in his talent, but he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

TheFrog

Coach
I'll close this on Friday midday and post final placings that afternoon. All that's really in doubt is whether Edwards can go any higher than his current 5th place.

soc123_au

Staff member
Edwards 7
Crichton 7
Whare 7
Luai 7
To'o 8
Maloney 6
Cleary 9
Tamou 7
Egan 8
Leota 7
Kikau 8
Martin 7
Fisher-Harris 8

Leniu 7
Burns 8
Campbell-Gillard 8
Katoa 6

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Edwards 7
Crichton 7
Whare 7
Luai 7
To'o 8
Maloney 7
Cleary 9
Tamou 8
Egan 8
Leota 7
Kikau 8
Martin 7
Fisher-Harris 8

Leniu 6
Burns 7
Campbell-Gillard 8
Katoa 5

Kilkenny

Coach
Edwards 7.
Crichton 6.
Whare 6.
Laui 7.
To’o 7.
Maloney 6.
Cleary 9.
Tamou 8.
Egan 7.
Leota 7.
Kikau 8.
Martin 6.
JFH 8.

Lenui 7.
Burns 7.
RCG 8.
Katoa 5.

TheFrog

Coach
Average Ratings for Round 25 (Knights)

Edwards 6.8
Crichton 6,5
Whare 6.1
Laui 7.1
To’o 7.7
Maloney 6.5
Cleary 9.4
Tamou 7.5
Egan 8.0
Leota 7.5
Kikau 7.9
Martin 6.9
JFH 7.9

Lenui 6.5
Burns 7.5
RCG 7.7
Katoa 5.3

Nathan Cleary's 9.4 was the highest average of any player all season. It also allowed him to just hold onto 4th place. An average of 8.3 or less for the final game would have seen Dylan Edwards take 4th place.

Second highest was Edwards with 9.0 in round 21 vs Sharks. Brent Naden also picked up a 9.0 in round 15 vs Warriors

Final Standings (games)
Only 20 best scores are counted.
We've known for a while who the winner would be, he just had to stay standing really, and he did that and then plenty. Tamou has also had his best season with us and Jimmy Maloney has done deceptively well despite well documented issues. So it was the year of the Jimmies.
Fisher Harris achieved an average of 7.1 over his best 20 games.
Panthers Forum Rookie of the Year goes to Brian To'o, quite the find, nowhere near the brute strength of a Maiko Sivo, who might well nab Dally M ROTY, but footwork and finesse that is quite pretty to watch.

1. Fisher-Harris 1476 (24)
2. Tamou 1362 (24)
3. Maloney 1239 (22)
4. Cleary 1230 (21)
5. Edwards 1220 (20)
6. Campbell-Gillard 1168 (23)
7. Leota 1148 (24)
8. Kikau 1110 (18)
9. Yeo 1054 (18)
10. Mansour 1037 (18)
11. To'o 988 (15)
12. Egan 984 (18)
13. Martin 962 (16)
14. Whare 886 (18)
15. Naden 706 (12)
16. Kenny 689 (12)
17. Luai 627 (13)
18. Katoa 620 (14)
19. Winterstein 596 (12)
20. Blake 501 (10)
21. DWZ 467 (10)
22. Grant 335 (7)
23. Sele 278 (5)
24. Leniu 259 (5)
25. Fuimaono 255 (6)
26. Crichton 222 (4)
27. MWZ 206 (4)
28. Aekins 152 (3)
29. Burns 119 (2)
30. Hetherington 98 (2)
31. Burton 71 (1)
32. Ellis 54 (2)
33. Cartwright 46 (1)

Thanks for playing everyone. Maybe we do it again next year, who knows?

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
There were times I struggled to even rate the mess I'd been watching. No way I'd have been able to diligently compile and track it.

Awesome effort Froggy. Much appreciated.

Must be pretty depressing work. Takes some strength of character to analyse so close for so long.

TheFrog

Coach
There were times I struggled to even rate the mess I'd been watching. No way I'd have been able to diligently compile and track it.

Awesome effort Froggy. Much appreciated.
Excel is a big help.Once you've got the system worked out its about an hour a week.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Some observations from our Forum Player of the Year.

- three players (Mansour, RCG and Edwards) that were dropped for poor performance made our top 10
- two of the players (RCG and Maloney) that are leaving and, most seemed to be happy with them going, are also in our top 10
- none of our hookers made our top 10. Recruiting Api makes sense.
- Leota was a surprise. Not one of our big names but quietly went about his business and made number 7. Higher than Kikau.
- Future of the club rests on the shoulders of Nathan Cleary. We rate him as one of our best 4 players so hopefully he can deliver.
- the two players (Blake and DWZ) we let go were averaging 5's or less. Not first grade standard.

Again, thanks to Frog for running this and to everyone who contributed. Could have easily been derailed during our poor run and end up being meaningless. Would love to see this run again next year but with the players averaging 7's and 8's.

TheFrog

Coach
Leota was a surprise. Not one of our big names but quietly went about his business and made number 7. Higher than Kikau.
What held Kikau back was his early season injury followed by his suspension, so he ended up playing only 18 games. Whereas pretty much all the leaders got their scores over 20 games and were able to discard some poor scores. Two more games at his average would have put him very close to the top 5.

Leota has benefited from his durability, and he had a pretty decent season all the same.

Kilkenny

Coach
Some observations from our Forum Player of the Year.

- three players (Mansour, RCG and Edwards) that were dropped for poor performance made our top 10
- two of the players (RCG and Maloney) that are leaving and, most seemed to be happy with them going, are also in our top 10
- none of our hookers made our top 10. Recruiting Api makes sense.
- Leota was a surprise. Not one of our big names but quietly went about his business and made number 7. Higher than Kikau.
- Future of the club rests on the shoulders of Nathan Cleary. We rate him as one of our best 4 players so hopefully he can deliver.
- the two players (Blake and DWZ) we let go were averaging 5's or less. Not first grade standard.

Again, thanks to Frog for running this and to everyone who contributed. Could have easily been derailed during our poor run and end up being meaningless. Would love to see this run again next year but with the players averaging 7's and 8's.

Thanks for your summary and for Frog for taking the time and effort to compile and track the Forum Player of the Year.

The player ratings pretty accurately summed up the individual performances of our players and in many respects captured what was a disappointing season all round.

The only question mark for me was that Jimmy Maloney should have finished up much higher and his average ratings probably reflected an anti Jimmy sentiment on here from some. He was much better than his ratings, IMO, and would have been in our top five performers if not higher.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Thanks for your summary and for Frog for taking the time and effort to compile and track the Forum Player of the Year.

The player ratings pretty accurately summed up the individual performances of our players and in many respects captured what was a disappointing season all round.

The only question mark for me was that Jimmy Maloney should have finished up much higher and his average ratings probably reflected an anti Jimmy sentiment on here from some. He was much better than his ratings, IMO, and would have been in our top five performers if not higher.
Lol oh poor Jimmy is so unfairly treated. The prick has coasted all the way to France since July

TheFrog

Coach
Maloney finished 3rd.

Kilkenny

Coach
Lol oh poor Jimmy is so unfairly treated. The prick has coasted all the way to France since July

I’m not sure where you deep seated hatred towards Jimmy Maloney stems from I would thought he gave his all in his two years with the Panthers right the way thru until the last game of the season.

I enjoyed his two years at the club, a great personality, real competitor and in a team that didn’t have a lot of points in them he helped contribute to most of the points we were able to score so I was thankful for that even if he doesn’t have the highest effective tacking efficiency in the NRL.

He and the club knew he was off to Catalans as far back as April so he could have turned his toes up then I guess as opposed to waiting until July as you put it.

Latest posts