What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Slater1

Juniors
6% of the Northern Beaches population went to the Manly game, whereas only 0.4% of the Melbourne population went to the Storm game.

Make of that what you will.

That if 6% of the Northern Beaches population turned up to the Manly game and the crowd was still only 15.5k-- maybe the Northern Beaches is too small of a catchment zone for a top level NRL team.

Maybe they should relocate them? I've heard there's a large population in Perth that's looking for a side to follow.

The facts remain that a TRADITIONAL club in their TRADITIONAL home ground to their last Brookvale game of the year got a smaller crowd than an Expansion club in a Non-NRL market which knew they'd have another home game coming up in the next fortnight.

greenBV4

Bench
6% of an area of only 254 km² and against another team from the same city went to the Manly game, whereas 0.4% an area of 9,990 km² went to the Storm game.

Made of it what I will, and fixed your quote for you

If many can only represent and draw from an area the size of the Northern Beaches of Sydney and no further it doesn't deserve a license in a national competition. Not saying Manly should be kicked out, just that they need to expand their vision a bit, and actually move forward as a club.

oval

Juniors
Relocate a club and alienate their fans so there can be 5k extra people at a final? What’s the point? And that’s assuming a relocated Sea Eagles team in Perth could generate a following as large as the Storm.

I’m all for having a Perth team in the comp, but the Sea Eagles, small catchment and all, have won 8 premierships and they ain’t going anywhere.

oval

Juniors
Made of it what I will, and fixed your quote for you

If many can only represent and draw from an area the size of the Northern Beaches of Sydney and no further it doesn't deserve a license in a national competition. Not saying Manly should be kicked out, just that they need to expand their vision a bit, and actually move forward as a club.

I agree - some vision for expansion would be welcome. But unfortunately the North Shore hates Manly because of their role in the demise of the Bears. So I guess the end result is Manly keeps being a threat to the premiership, and people will continue to whinge.

greenBV4

Bench
I agree - some vision for expansion would be welcome. But unfortunately the North Shore hates Manly because of their role in the demise of the Bears. So I guess the end result is Manly keeps being a threat to the premiership, and people will continue to whinge.

A (vocal) majority might complain and oppose at first but stick with it and they'll get used to it, and they'll be more and more chance kids, and the kids kids, will pick up the eagles as the local team.

That generation won't have a clue who the bears were and TBH the sooner the current bears "supporters" accept the bears most likely won't be back, especially as a "North Sydney" club, the better, and the Sea Eagles integrating the whole of North Sydney up to and even including the CC will help.

looking 20 or so years into the future the only way I can see the Sea Eagles fit in to the NRL still based in Sydney is as the Northern Sydney Sea Eagles.

Stallion

First Grade
A (vocal) majority might complain and oppose at first but stick with it and they'll get used to it, and they'll be more and more chance kids, and the kids kids, will pick up the eagles as the local team.

That generation won't have a clue who the bears were and TBH the sooner the current bears "supporters" accept the bears most likely won't be back, especially as a "North Sydney" club, the better, and the Sea Eagles integrating the whole of North Sydney up to and even including the CC will help.

looking 20 or so years into the future the only way I can see the Sea Eagles fit in to the NRL still based in Sydney is as the Northern Sydney Sea Eagles.

Television replays of past games and people whom are still very much alive and are still Bears fans would keep knowledge of the North Sydney Bears alive. The Bears can be a very valuable asset to the NRL. Just some people can't see this!?

Last edited:

oval

Juniors

One thing I don’t really understand, probably because I’m a one eyed Manly supporter, is the obsession with ‘growing the game’. Why does it matter if there are small clubs like Manly or the Sharks? Yes the crowds are smaller than the big clubs, and marginally smaller than some of the other Sydney clubs, but people still watch the games on TV...

The league has evolved naturally over time, and is growing gradually every year as populations rise, including those in the shire and the beaches. As more people move to Penrith, Bankstown, Parramatta & Manly, so the supporter base will grow.

I may be in the minority but I like the state of league as it stands now. I like seeing a small club like the Sharks take on a big club like the Broncos and get a win.

I agree that there should be expansion, perhaps to Perth and a second Brisbane team. But league has a soul, and ripping apart old school clubs that are still well supported in their small catchment areas seems counter productive to me.

Anyway, go the mighty Sea Eagles.

oval

Juniors
Television replays of past games and people whom are still very much alive and are still Bears fans would keep knowledge of the North Sydney Bears alive. The Bears can because a very valuable asset to the NRL. Just some people can't see this!?

A lot of my mates were Bears fans. Bring back the Bears!

Slater1

Juniors
One thing I don’t really understand, probably because I’m a one eyed Manly supporter, is the obsession with ‘growing the game’. Why does it matter if there are small clubs like Manly or the Sharks? Yes the crowds are smaller than the big clubs, and marginally smaller than some of the other Sydney clubs, but people still watch the games on TV...

The league has evolved naturally over time, and is growing gradually every year as populations rise, including those in the shire and the beaches. As more people move to Penrith, Bankstown, Parramatta & Manly, so the supporter base will grow.

I may be in the minority but I like the state of league as it stands now. I like seeing a small club like the Sharks take on a big club like the Broncos and get a win.

I agree that there should be expansion, perhaps to Perth and a second Brisbane team. But league has a soul, and ripping apart old school clubs that are still well supported in their small catchment areas seems counter productive to me.

Anyway, go the mighty Sea Eagles.

That's basically the entire discussion of this thread and has been for almost 300 pages--- that the NRL should be trying to increase crowds and their fanbase.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You can have your expected snipe, but when you only get 20,000 at Melbourne after all the G.Fs and a new stadium,I would be very cautious in bagging .
IMO ordinary crowds(less than there should be ) at the three games so far.
BTW it's in fact new central stadiums plus suburban grounds ,just to correct your usual BS.

That’s 95% one set of fans, manly was two clubs set of fans. Joke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
6% of the Northern Beaches population went to the Manly game, whereas only 0.4% of the Melbourne population went to the Storm game.

99.6% of melbourne are afl fans, imagine if manly and Cronulla clubs had 19500 fans each turn up!

taipan

Referee
Melbourne haven’t had a crowd of 25000 to a first week final ever. 20000 was pass mark. It looked good.

Fair enough, but it again shows the point that our mate from the West can't understand, most Sydney out suburban clubs have no chance of getting 30K(in any criteria),let alone Melbourne with their new stadium in a big city.

taipan

Referee
99.6% of melbourne are afl fans, imagine if manly and Cronulla clubs had 19500 fans each turn up!

So once again comparing the AFL religion and where any one else is there is a barbarian ,to a popular sport ,that has never dominated anywhere near teh extent AFL does in Melbourne and never will.

If you're going to use mathematics ,if 17,800 out 18,800 Cronulla fans turned up to a Shark's game as they did in the last game there this year.That's still a decent % of the Shires' population.In fact 7.6% 2019 population 234K plus and growing.

And you have just reinforced the view with your comments, that you cannot compare NRL crowds and memberships with AFL in Melbourne.
Sydney in particular is a far more homogenous city when ti comes to people having different sporting interests in winter.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Since there is a two week gap before the Raiders home prelim. Is there any way of installing temporary seating at Canberra Stadium to increase the capacity slightly?

The demand for tickets in Canberra will be massive for this game.

Billythekid

First Grade
So once again comparing the AFL religion and where any one else is there is a barbarian ,to a popular sport ,that has never dominated anywhere near teh extent AFL does in Melbourne and never will.

If you're going to use mathematics ,if 17,800 out 18,800 Cronulla fans turned up to a Shark's game as they did in the last game there this year.That's still a decent % of the Shires' population.In fact 7.6% 2019 population 234K plus and growing.

And you have just reinforced the view with your comments, that you cannot compare NRL crowds and memberships with AFL in Melbourne.
Sydney in particular is a far more homogenous city when ti comes to people having different sporting interests in winter.

I don’t want to get bogged down with these dumb arguments yet again but the AFL’s crowds can’t just be explained away because of the differences between Melbourne and Sydney. The AFL get massive crowds in Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Hell even their Brisbane crowds are big compared to every club bar the broncos.

Latest posts