What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

didn't they sell standing tickets for the Tigers semi a few years back to boost capacity

Since there is a two week gap before the Raiders home prelim. Is there any way of installing temporary seating at Canberra Stadium to increase the capacity slightly?

The demand for tickets in Canberra will be massive for this game.

Stallion

First Grade
I don’t want to get bogged down with these dumb arguments yet again but the AFL’s crowds can’t just be explained away because of the differences between Melbourne and Sydney. The AFL get massive crowds in Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Hell even their Brisbane crowds are big compared to every club bar the broncos.

Agree. That sport has expanded in a timely manner. Rugby league was on the right track until superleague happened. It's not to say rugby league can make amends but it's been usurped by another code whilst sitting on its hands for over two decades. The AFL has wisely ensured two clubs in each city/region in its expansion and maintained it's historical fabric and credibility in existing VFL clubs located in the Melbourne area. Smartly done! With rugby league having negative discourse and infighting whilst procrastinating on welcoming additional clubs for it's overall growth.

greenBV4

Bench
I support Melbourne but I still agree. Hopefully next year a few more teams step up to challenge the roosters and Melbourne. I obviously want Melbourne to win but it’s nice seeing different teams competing at the top.
I was rooting for a Melbourne v Canberra GF for that reason, obviously still want Melbourne to be there but at the same time its great seeing different teams than the usual go well.

I though they'd get there the other way around but that matchup is still possible!

taipan

Referee
I don’t want to get bogged down with these dumb arguments yet again but the AFL’s crowds can’t just be explained away because of the differences between Melbourne and Sydney. The AFL get massive crowds in Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Sydney. Hell even their Brisbane crowds are big compared to every club bar the broncos.

Look I'm the first to admire the crowds AFL get, and wish we'd get even 3/4 of their average.
I'm just fed up to the balls, with some people continually implying or suggesting NRL crowds must achieve these levels or close enough to them.So why the hell people continually bring up AFL crowds, to justify getting rid of Sydney NRL clubs ,is beyond my understanding of the reality of the situation.

Sydney is not Melbourne,,Sydney is not Adelaide,Sydney is not Perth.Let's try and improve what we've got from centralised stadiums to outer suburban ones, instead of the usual suspect or two continually bagging outer suburban clubs, just for the sole purpose of getting a team in their area, and stuff those Sydney fans.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Agree. That sport has expanded in a timely manner. Rugby league was on the right track until superleague happened. It's not to say rugby league can make amends but it's been usurped by another code whilst sitting on its hands for over two decades. The AFL has wisely ensured two clubs in each city/region in its expansion and maintained it's historical fabric and credibility in existing VFL clubs located in the Melbourne area. Smartly done! With rugby league having negative discourse and infighting whilst procrastinating on welcoming additional clubs for it's overall growth.
You do know that Fitzroy and south Melbourne are dead and the afl tried to amalgamate Melbourne and Hawthorn by force? Inconvenient truth.

Stallion

First Grade
Look I'm the first to admire the crowds AFL get, and wish we'd get even 3/4 of their average.
I'm just fed up to the balls, with some people continually implying or suggesting NRL crowds must achieve these levels or close enough to them.So why the hell people continually bring up AFL crowds, to justify getting rid of Sydney NRL clubs ,is beyond my understanding of the reality of the situation.

Sydney is not Melbourne,,Sydney is not Adelaide,Sydney is not Perth.Let's try and improve what we've got from centralised stadiums to outer suburban ones, instead of the usual suspect or two continually bagging outer suburban clubs, just for the sole purpose of getting a team in their area, and stuff those Sydney fans.

It should be noted that Melbourne has ten top flight clubs with a million less in population than Sydney, and that city clearly embraces such a strength. Instead some people in rugby league would rather weaken it's strength on Sydney!(this 'weakening' has already happened in northern Sydney )

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
It should be noted that Melbourne has ten top flight clubs with a million less on population and that city clearly embraces such a strength. Instead some people in rugby league would rather weaken it's strength!
Its nine clubs. Not ten. And the Afl has been trying to get clubs to either die or relocate for decades. Stop making stuff up. Provide facts and evidence. By the way melbournes population is 260000 less than Sydney’s and the gap decreases every year. Another fact.

Stallion

First Grade
Hope we see a genuine 30000 sellout crowd at Bankwest today. It would be nice to see no vacant areas in this stadium when a sellout has been announced.

greenBV4

Bench
It should be noted that Melbourne has ten top flight clubs with a million less in population than Sydney, and that city clearly embraces such a strength. Instead some people in rugby league would rather weaken it's strength on Sydney!(this 'weakening' has already happened in northern Sydney )

If your going to throw around facts based on population make sure they are correct

Sydney's population hasn't been a million more than Melbourne's for a long time now, and if you are going to dump Geelong in with Melbourne then include its population as well - That makes the population larger than Sydney's

From a quick google search:
Greater Sydney - 5,029,711
Greater Melbourne - 4,936,000
Greater Geelong - 233,429
Geelong + Melbourne - 5,169,429

Bojackhorseman

Juniors

My view, for what it’s worth, is that manly should own the north of Sydney through to Gosford. It’s so obvious but it isn’t happening. It’s a huge area and they have a great brand. South of Sydney is tougher as there is so much congestion. St George don’t seem to know where they belong anymore. Given the sharks secure financial situation and massive juniors if they can have a few quiet controversy free years they could be anything.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
If your going to throw around facts based on population make sure they are correct

Sydney's population hasn't been a million more than Melbourne's for a long time now, and if you are going to dump Geelong in with Melbourne then include its population as well - That makes the population larger than Sydney's

Truth facts and evidence aren’t his strong points. Emotional drivel - yes!

Stallion

First Grade

Think you forgot the Illawarra champ!? St George Illawarra exists in the NRL . Add that in just like you have with Geelong and you are getting closer ! Also suggest the Central Coast should and could be factored in as well. No figures there champ just areas/ regions you have omitted in the count.

taipan

Referee
My view, for what it’s worth, is that manly should own the north of Sydney through to Gosford. It’s so obvious but it isn’t happening. It’s a huge area and they have a great brand. South of Sydney is tougher as there is so much congestion. St George don’t seem to know where they belong anymore. Given the sharks secure financial situation and massive juniors if they can have a few quiet controversy free years they could be anything.

Agree Manly's owner and the NRL should be getting off their a*ses to grow the game in Nth Sydney.
The Sharks are work in progress ,trouble is they have had a history of stuffing up, and therein lies my concern ,hope I'm wrong though.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Think you forgot the Illawarra champ!? St George Illawarra exists in the NRL . Add that in just like you have with Geelong and you are getting closer ! Also suggest the Central Coast should and could be factored in as well. No figures there champ just areas/ regions you have omitted in the count.
In other words your figure of 1 million was utter rubbish as usual.