What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Diesel

Referee
i just hope he can manage the game for the whole game, the clubs, players and fans at all levels.

My big fear is that he will run it like Racing NSW where the real stakeholders now are the gambling industry.
Gambling is a huge part of racing but only a minor part of RL.

He’s out Todd on notice so he’s off to a good start when he becomes chairman

Saxon

Bench
Gambling is a huge part of racing but only a minor part of RL.
Gambling is a huge part of racing but only a minor part of RL at the moment.
As I say, his current masters are the gambling industry. He has shown no concern for the welfare of the punters or trainers (or indeed the horses) - everything he has done has been with the aim to get more people to bet more money.

Hope that's not how he plans to run Rugby League.

taipan

Referee
How much do they need? They’ve tripled revenue in ten years.

Look at how much the AFL had in the kitty at one stage $200m? to help fund expansion ,in which they have spent an absolute fortune on GWS/Suns and assisting Lions losses up til 2018.
Be thankful they (NRL)made about $7m more than budgeted in 2019 after the off season from hell.so they are getting there.
If Beattie a lawyer hadn't pushed for the no fault stand down clause, we may be looking at a profit of $20m not $32. He may be a clown at times, but knows how the law operates.

You know yourself how much it costs to fund new clubs, normal grants plus expansionary assistance.
The real test will come next year, if as stated the NRL negotiates then .If V'Landys can get an increase with 18 teams and that is one of the options, then IMO expansion Is off and running.
If you haven't got the money,the choice is to cut clubs, and good luck with that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Look at how much the AFL had in the kitty at one stage $200m? to help fund expansion ,in which they have spent an absolute fortune on GWS/Suns and assisting Lions losses up til 2018.
Be thankful they (NRL)made about $7m more than budgeted in 2019 after the off season from hell.so they are getting there.
If Beattie a lawyer hadn't pushed for the no fault stand down clause, we may be looking at a profit of $20m not $32. He may be a clown at times, but knows how the law operates.

You know yourself how much it costs to fund new clubs, normal grants plus expansionary assistance.
The real test will come next year, if as stated the NRL negotiates then .If V'Landys can get an increase with 18 teams and that is one of the options, then IMO expansion Is off and running.
If you haven't got the money,the choice is to cut clubs, and good luck with that.

Afl have funded expansion predominantly by having a lot of financially successful clubs who they don’t have to pay big grants to.

taipan

Referee
Afl have funded expansion predominantly by having a lot of financially successful clubs who they don’t have to pay big grants to.

Which reinforces my point, they had the money and lots of it ,to expand.If they didn't have cash on hand ,GWS and Suns would be really struggling, and GWS may not have eventuated.
And you know full well the lesser clubs get more than their wealthier clubs in grants.
Most of our dumb clubs relied too much on poker machines,and need to be weaned off them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which reinforces my point, they had the money and lots of it ,to expand.If they didn't have cash on hand ,GWS and Suns would be really struggling, and GWS may not have eventuated.
And you know full well the lesser clubs get more than their wealthier clubs in grants.
Most of our dumb clubs relied too much on poker machines,and need to be weaned off them.

How they going to do that? Clubs haven’t or can’t build the fan bases afl clubs have which is where the difference in wealth is coming from. How is cronullla going to attract 30k fans to games so it has the revenue it needs for the nrl to give you a grant of $10mill instead of $13mill (as an example)?
Not to mention how much clubs and the media would scream inequity if some clubs got more funding than others.

taipan

Referee
How they going to do that? Clubs haven’t or can’t build the fan bases afl clubs have which is where the difference in wealth is coming from. How is cronullla going to attract 30k fans to games so it has the revenue it needs for the nrl to give you a grant of $10mill instead of $13mill (as an example)?
Not to mention how much clubs and the media would scream inequity if some clubs got more funding than others.

They won't be doing that.Spending huge sums of confetti on areas ,that have not asked for a new club nor parachute one in because they cannot because its unwanted.

From what I've heard V'Landys is not a spendthrift and CEOs are required to justify large expenditure .He also cuts down on waste.

Clubs in most cases have increased membership.And better facilities and better scheduling will attract more fans.
However, ideally clubs would like huge AFL type fan bases.It's not going to happen.Simply because
rugby league whilst popular in Sydney ,does not have the religious domination that AFL does in Melbourne, not by a long shot.Other codes barely get a look in ask the Storm,A league and Super union.
Growth in Sydney will be marginal ,but should keep up with population growth at least.

I followed Cronulla many years ago and if they used those averages then now, they'd be out of the comp.Cronulla is doing something to improve their financials ,clearly spelt out.They'll have nearly 1,000 apartments (880 to be precise) surrounding their very field, and a retail set up involving Woolworths, Aldi, Hotel ,medical centre ,restaurants etc, plus a new Leagues club.

Bruno Cullen who spent time there going through books ,potential etc.stated ATT ,the club is is a position to be one of the top financially strong clubs. Who knows.
Anycase you cannot build better facilities(and it's not going to happen overnight,) unless you have financial strength.

"30k "fans.Who says it has to be 30K fans? In an ideal world yes ,but we live in a country that has 25m shared between many codes.More so in Sydney.
You can't get 30K fans in Melbourne with their new stadium, lucky to average it at Suncorp.Certainly not in Perth, nor the GC .If you;re going to use the 30k criteria ,you've just included most NRL clubs.
If suburban clubs outer ones,average 20K or have facilities to handle 20k in comfort ,the NRL and the clubs themselves would be more than happy.
The clubs to my knowledge didn't scream in unison :"inequity" when the Titans and Knights were taken over and the NRL did the financing.Nor when the Storm received the extra funding, nor when the Tigers/Dragons/Sharks. A few of teh clubs did at time, but made no big deal out of it.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Even growing the fan base from 15k to 20k

Needs a plan that suits that club

Killing another club won't make 5k of fans walk across the road and follow another team

True long term fan growth begins when you engage kids 7 to 11 ie mid to late primary school years

By creating a FG TV product without RG an U20s has caused a long term issue for kids

Many kids who used to go to games would also associate with lower grade players and watch them progress to FG in club colours

Be it kids they played with or against or just having easier access to players who in general are happy to give them time

Perth Red

Post Whore
They won't be doing that.Spending huge sums of confetti on areas ,that have not asked for a new club nor parachute one in because they cannot because its wanted.

From what I've heard V'Landys is not a spendthrift and CEOs are required to justify large expenditure .He also cuts down on waste.

Clubs in most cases have increased membership.And better facilities and better scheduling will attract more fans.
However, ideally clubs would like huge AFL type fan bases.It's not going to happen.Simply because
rugby league whilst popular in Sydney ,does not have the religious domination that AFL does in Melbourne,not by a long shot.Other codes barely get a look in ask the Storm,A league and Super union.
Growth in Sydney will be marginal ,but should keep up with population growth at least.

I followed Cronulla many years ago and if they used those averages then now, they'd be out of the comp.Cronulla is doing something to improve their financials ,clearly spelt out.They'll have nearly 1,000 apartments (880 to be precise) surrounding their very field, and a retail set up involving Woolworths,Aldi,Hotel ,medical centre ,restaurants etc, plus a new Leagues club.

Bruno Cullen whopspent time there going through books ,potential etc.stated ATT the club is is a position to be one of the top financially strong clubs.
Anycase you cannot build better facilities(and it's not going to happen overnight,) unless you have financial strength.

"30k "fans.Who says it has to be 30K fans? In an ideal world yes ,but we live in a country that has 25m shared between many codes.More so in Sydney.
You can't get 30K fans in Melbourne with their new stadium, lucky to average it at Suncorp.Certainly not in Perth, nor the GC .If you;re going to use the 30k criteria ,you've just included most NRL clubs.
If suburban clubs outer ones,average 20K or have facilities to handle 20k in comfort ,the NRL and the clubs themselves would be more than happy.
The clubs to my knowledge didn't scream in unison :"inequity" when the Titans and Knights were taken over and the NRL did the financing.Nor when the Storm received the extra funding, nor when the Tigers/Dragons/Sharks. A few of teh clubs did at time, but made no big deal out of it.

Clubs had no choice with titans and knights one Because half of them knew it could be them and would hope the nrl would rescue them and two because they knew the nrl had to fulfill its tv contract.

30k gets game day revenue to a level that would see clubs extremely profitable without relying on pokies. Even 25k would make a massive difference. Hopefully eels maintain tis opportunity and the other clubs wake up to what is possible.

Ah the old Cullen statement. Reality is you won’t be. For all the development you’ve only managed to clear your debts, got a nicer LC and ended up with $18mill in the bank. For a club that has been losing $2-3million a year that isn’t going to go far. Unless you sort out your stadium and start getting 20k to games your still going to struggle.

The point I’m making is the afl has been able to expand, and pay for it, because it has a large core of its clubs financially very sound and can therefore divert funding from them to expansion. In the nrl’s case it needs around $30-40mill a year ideally to fund two new start up clubs. IF we had financially successfully clubs, or at least a majority of them, they could reduce the grants to those clubs to cover this extra spend and we could expand tomorrow. Part of the Sydney problem is there just doesn’t seem to be the support for clubs that are needed to get all clubs financially sound enough to do this.

Anyway we are drifting into expansion here and the new chairman believes suburban grounds are the games future so there really isn’t a lot of hope in the short term to see a turn around in club financial strength. Maybe he can bring in more betting money and we can expand using that, fleecing poor saps of their money is what RL has been built on after all.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Clubs had no choice with titans and knights one Because half of them knew it could be them and would hope the nrl would rescue them and two because they knew the nrl had to fulfill its tv contract.

The point I’m making is the afl has been able to expand, and pay for it, because it has a large core of its clubs financially very sound and can therefore divert funding from them to expansion. In the nrl’s case it needs around $30-40mill a year ideally to fund two new start up clubs. IF we had financially successfully clubs, or at least a majority of them, they could reduce the grants to those clubs to cover this extra spend and we could expand tomorrow. Part of the Sydney problem is there just doesn’t seem to be the support for clubs that are needed to get all in e clubs financially sound enough to do this. Anyway we are drifting into expansion here and ten new chairman believes suburban grounds are the games future so there really isn’t a lot of hope in the short term to see a turn around in club financial strength. Maybe he can bro g in more betting money and we can expand using that, fleecing poor saps of their money is what RL has been built on after all.

We know that doesn't mean they liked the idea ,when money could be spent elsewhere,.
The Titans were hardly a long term traditional club, and there were other clubs in Sydney ATT just as worthy.The Knights had to be supported full stop.
But don't think for one moment the NRL didn't spend money on supporting clubs in need, with limited funding available.

You're just going around in circles.I know the AFL's clubs ,the overwhelming majority have huge membership sand make money, so as not to put a monetary strain on the AFL.
What I've been trying to get through, the NRL is not and IMO will not have clubs with memberships like the Magpies or the Tigers.

Simply the AFL can put clubs in Darwin,Tasmania and another in Perth,because of their huge financial resources.

That's what the Sydney NRL clubs are trying to do,reduce reliance on poker machines, get better facilities and thus increase crowds, so they won't have to cry poor mouth.
What I've found in Sydney just about all NRL clubs have decent casual or bandwaggoner bases>That was shown by the Tigers and the Sharks in the last few weeks, and in G/F.
They like all other Sydney clubs need to have either new stadiums or upgraded facilities to encourage more as members or attendees.
Quite frankly what the AFL does with their crowds and members, cannot be used to state teh NRL must reach those heights.It simply can't ,much as I would love it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We know that doesn't mean they liked the idea ,when money could be spent elsewhere,.
The Titans were hardly a long term traditional club, and there were other clubs in Sydney ATT just as worthy.The Knights had to be supported full stop.
But don't think for one moment the NRL didn't spend money on supporting clubs in need, with limited funding available.

You're just going around in circles.I know the AFL's clubs ,the overwhelming majority have huge membership sand make money, so as not to put a monetary strain on the AFL.
What I've been trying to get through, the NRL is not and IMO will not have clubs with memberships like the Magpies or the Tigers.

Simply the AFL can put clubs in Darwin,Tasmania and another in Perth,because of their huge financial resources.

That's what the Sydney NRL clubs are trying to do,reduce reliance on poker machines, get better facilities and thus increase crowds, so they won't have to cry poor mouth.
What I've found in Sydney just about all NRL clubs have decent casual or bandwaggoner bases>That was shown by the Tigers and the Sharks in the last few weeks, and in G/F.
They like all other Sydney clubs need to have either new stadiums or upgraded facilities to encourage more as members or attendees.
Quite frankly what the AFL does with their crowds and members, cannot be used to state teh NRL must reach those heights.It simply can't ,much as I would love it.

Why do you think that is? There isn’t anything genetically different between Australians living in different cities so why can’t the nrl and its clubs get off their backsides, make some hard decisions and get to where afl is?
Last night I was chatting to someone in the pub and they were telling me despite the Optus stadium increased capacity they still couldn’t get Eagles memberships for the family and had spent 9 years as “in the wings” members paying every year to stay on the wait List! Why can the eagles command such a massive fanbase in Perth yet the Broncos with a larger population catchment and no other nrl team in the city but everything else being similar can only attract half that level of support? Why can swans get 45k whilst storm struggle to get 20k, why can the poorest and lowest clubs in Melbourne get 30k whilst the nrl equivalents are bumbling along on 12k? How can Geelong get 51k against an interstate team whilst Sydney’s two oldest nrl clubs can only get 30k between them?
We need to get our sht together or it’s not hard to see where the Australian sporting landscape will be in 50years.

taipan

Referee
Why do you think that is? There isn’t anything genetically different between Australians living in different cities so why can’t the nrl and its clubs get off their backsides, make some hard decisions and get to where afl is?
Last night I was chatting to someone in the pub and they were telling me despite the Optus stadium increased capacity they still couldn’t get Eagles memberships for the family and had spent 9 years as “in the wings” members paying every year to stay on the wait List! Why can the eagles command such a massive fanbase in Perth yet the Broncos with a larger population catchment and no other nrl team in the city but everything else being similar can only attract half that level of support? Why can swans get 45k whilst storm struggle to get 20k, why can the poorest and lowest clubs in Melbourne get 30k whilst the nrl equivalents are bumbling along on 12k? How can Geelong get 51k against an interstate team whilst Sydney’s two oldest nrl clubs can only get 30k between them?
We need to get our sht together or it’s not hard to see where the Australian sporting landscape will be in 50years.

Seriously mate with comments like that it shows you are still living in the past in Pommy land.
It's got nothing to do with genetics here .It's how citizens of a city are brought up and the influence of a sport in that city, and the sport the schools systems' sports have in place.
I played league in the public school system in Sydney and union in the Private school (Associated)
.Fumbleball has been around in Sydney,small though it may be ,for ages.Try getting rl played in the Sydney GPS and Associated schools system.It's considered a threat to their ingrained ru.

Perth is also an example of that, when did rl make an entrance there not that long ago.Adelaide also.
It's fair to suggest just about every school in the AFL states have AFL played in some form.
And Brisbane has had union played in their private schools historically and rl in the Catholic public ones.

There is not the split in codes' preferences in the AFL states as there are in the Nth rl states.Not by a country mile.Else the Storm would be packing out their stadium.

Maybe whilst you're at it you can put a rocket up the a*se of the RFL, and get them to do something about the code in the North.I've been to a Challenge Cup at the old Wembley with 78,000.

Of course the NRL has to get its act together, no one's suggesting otherwise.That's what new stadiums,getting women involved ,getting clubs to be more self sufficient, getting more kids involved even including touch,getting rl in union private schools in Brisbane is all about.

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors
He just told the VRC they should move the Melbourne Cup from the first Tuesday in November. The Victorians will have a pink fit.

He seems to be not concerned with shaking up the establishment and stepping on toes. Just the kind of guy Rugby League needs.

Diesel

Referee
He just told the VRC they should move the Melbourne Cup from the first Tuesday in November. The Victorians will have a pink fit.

He seems to be not concerned with shaking up the establishment and stepping on toes. Just the kind of guy Rugby League needs.
Melbourne Cup first and SoO next.
Really interested to see what Vlandys has in store for RL

Latest posts