What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we believe the "jounos" we will be paying near 1 MIL of our cap to other clubs next year (RCG, DWZ, Blake). Unlikely but if anywhere near true.....ouch.

The same journos who said we have to pay $400k for RCG told me we hardly had to pay anything if DWZ’s deal, and it was only for this year.

It’d be closer to 500k than $1 million

Abacus

Juniors
We have an established fullback who is decent and two up and comers who are pretty talent.

We also have two potentially up and coming 5/8’s would you really want Matt Moylan to return. Seriously, given his history with our club, injury issues, inconsistent form and whatever else and welcome him back with open arms.

I couldn’t, surely Ivan Cleary would even entertain the thought. Surely?
Just making the point that IF he were to return, FB is not his spot.

But I'm not against his return. Sometimes players find out the grass is actually greener at home.

Abacus

Juniors
Look at injury history alone. We'd be paying good money for someone to miss 1/4 of the season.
Maybe. But there is a long history of players that have had a few interrupted seasons then come good once they're over them.

And how many matches would he contribute to wins during the 3/4 of the season he's not injured?

The Realist

Juniors
So if we believe the "jounos" we will be paying near 1 MIL of our cap to other clubs next year (RCG, DWZ, Blake). Unlikely but if anywhere near true.....ouch.

If you believe the journos it is actually 1.2M. I don't think it is quite that but 1M I'd almost bet on it.

More disturbing is the reports that we will be paying Part of that for multiple seasons! This club is the stupidest in NRL history.

Abacus

Juniors
@Abacus

Here’s RCG’s form in the first ten weeks of 2018, this was before he broke his jaw.

89 meters per game! Down from the 130m the previous year.

Gus had to totally ignore this rubbish 10 weeks and decide to give RCG a massive 5 year deal on the basis of his 2017 form. And to top it off he gives him the big deal after his broken jaw.

Note RCG signed his deal in late June 2018View attachment 33068
Nice stats. From avge 10 hitups per game, 9 metres per hit up is not bad. And 2 or 3 good returns in amongst them.

Always difficult to judge raw stats in isolation. Team playing styles (predominantly backs hitting up), whether your team has the ball while your on and poor completion rates will all obviously influence the interpretation of the raw stats. Comparatively, the NSW selectors were apparently happy with his form in the 1st half of the year.

Anyway, points still stand - WW doing the boards dirty work spreading unsubstantiated rumours & will argue in hindsight, as you are, that Gould signed him too high. I'm not even arguing that he wasn't.

However, there has been nil reference to his achievements nor why Cleary has decided he is unable to get the required level of performance from RCG, when Hook did and the Eels apparently think they can. Unless he just seen something newer and shinier come along.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe. But there is a long history of players that have had a few interrupted seasons then come good once they're over them.

And how many matches would he contribute to wins during the 3/4 of the season he's not injured?

No doubt in some cases you can paying $500k plus for a bench prop when you have many holes to fill makes no sense

Nice stats. From avge 10 hitups per game, 9 metres per hit up is not bad. And 2 or 3 good returns in amongst them.

Always difficult to judge raw stats in isolation. Team playing styles (predominantly backs hitting up), whether your team has the ball while your on and poor completion rates will all obviously influence the interpretation of the raw stats. Comparatively, the NSW selectors were apparently happy with his form in the 1st half of the year.

Anyway, points still stand - WW doing the boards dirty work spreading unsubstantiated rumours & will argue in hindsight, as you are, that Gould signed him too high. I'm not even arguing that he wasn't.

However, there has been nil reference to his achievements nor why Cleary has decided he is unable to get the required level of performance from RCG, when Hook did and the Eels apparently think they can. Unless he just seen something newer and shinier come along.

Meters per run is fine, but his lack of involvement is telling. It was way down from the previous year under the same coach, there’s no reason Hook would’ve changed what was working successfully.

Pretty sure I argued a 5 year deal was too much at the time, so it’s not just hindsight.

forby

Juniors
Spencer Leinu can do the same job as RCG at less than half the price. I think the Eels are taking a massive chance on RCG getting his form back. The 5year contract would indicate that Parra aren’t greeting the freight from Penrith that they hoped for. 5 years for a non impact bench forward is a gamble.

Abacus

Juniors
The same journos who said we have to pay $400k for RCG told me we hardly had to pay anything if DWZ’s deal, and it was only for this year.

It’d be closer to 500k than $1 million
So the WW journos are your source of information? Sorry Herb, you've just lost credibility if you're unable to discern that they are operating to enhance the board's reputation. Even if it means they employ sometimes contradictory tactics.

Abacus

Juniors
Spencer Leinu can do the same job as RCG at less than half the price. I think the Eels are taking a massive chance on RCG getting his form back. The 5year contract would indicate that Parra aren’t greeting the freight from Penrith that they hoped for. 5 years for a non impact bench forward is a gamble.
Like I said to Herb, something newer & shinier. Why the certainty that RCG can't have impact? Because Ivan couldn't get it from him this year after a lacklustre preseason?

forby

Juniors
I just don’t think he has the ticker anymore. I think he backs into tackles now to avoid any chance of getting hit in the jaw. He runs hard at times, but I just don’t think he has it anymore.

So the WW journos are your source of information? Sorry Herb, you've just lost credibility if you're unable to discern that they are operating to enhance the board's reputation. Even if it means they employ sometimes contradictory tactics.

They’re not my exclusive source, although that sounds a bit weird. I post info from a range of sources. The WW guys have given me accurate info before, though. They tipped me that Apisai was a target weeks before it happened.

Remember this is a rumour thread. I’m not posting things as fact, I’m posting them for discussion purposes.

*I also posted in a follow up that someone else told me the figures were nonsense. I was completely transparent about that*

I’ve actually mentioned before that there’s a good chance the club is often engaging in misinformation campaigns. So I’m certainly not discounting the possibility that’s what’s going on here.

The Realist

Juniors

RCG was on about 800K a season for 5. Which was too much he was worth 500-600K. We will be paying 400K of that so Parra will be paying 400K for RCG's services. I think he is worth that even in his more ordinary form. If his form improves (under better coaching) Parra have a bargain which we'd be paying for. They aren't taking any real risk, they have far more upside than downside.

Parra have plundered us due to our own stupidity.

@Abacus

Maybe you didn’t see this post, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. But I’m clearly not blindly following what the WW guys told me when I posted this.

As I say, it’s a rumour thread, I post things for discussion purposes.
79473568-D259-4E3F-BE9F-202D5246784E.jpeg

Abacus

Juniors
RCG was on about 800K a season for 5. Which was too much he was worth 500-600K. We will be paying 400K of that so Parra will be paying 400K for RCG's services. I think he is worth that even in his more ordinary form. If his form improves (under better coaching) Parra have a bargain which we'd be paying for. They aren't taking any real risk, they have far more upside than downside.

Parra have plundered us due to our own stupidity.
How do we know all of this? Where does the 800k amount come from? How do we know we're paying 400k for RCG going forward?

If this is the deal that was mustered to flip RCG, anyone involved should be accused of gross incompetence. It would be up there with the worst player release settlement of all time.

I mean think of the insanity of it. You're paying 400k a year for a player not to be here. That is a roster spot gone. Unless the player being released was adversely impacting the playing group (beyond perceived value of performances), then there is no justification to subsidise 50%.

Abacus

Juniors
They’re not my exclusive source, although that sounds a bit weird. I post info from a range of sources. The WW guys have given me accurate info before, though. They tipped me that Apisai was a target weeks before it happened.

Remember this is a rumour thread. I’m not posting things as fact, I’m posting them for discussion purposes.

*I also posted in a follow up that someone else told me the figures were nonsense. I was completely transparent about that*

I’ve actually mentioned before that there’s a good chance the club is often engaging in misinformation campaigns. So I’m certainly not discounting the possibility that’s what’s going on here.
Nah, its all good Herb. My question is really whether Ivan is justified in apparently quitting on RCG. If RCG is not meeting team standards then fair enough, but its all been a bit vague except for a compromised WW willing to shoot off wild rumours.

Abacus

Juniors
I just don’t think he has the ticker anymore. I think he backs into tackles now to avoid any chance of getting hit in the jaw. He runs hard at times, but I just don’t think he has it anymore.
So he has it sometimes but not other times? Sounds a bit wishy-washy.

Is any relevance attributed to the slack preseason where it took him 12 weeks (including being dropped to reggies) to gain any sort of fitness? That will impact your performance, as we saw with so many players this year.

Nah, its all good Herb. My question is really whether Ivan is justified in apparently quitting on RCG. If RCG is not meeting team standards then fair enough, but its all been a bit vague except for a compromised WW willing to shoot off wild rumours.

I don’t rate Ivan Cleary, but I think there’s some good evidence that it was RCG that gave up on himself.

He only played one good year out of three under Hook. So I don’t see how we can lay this at Cleary’s feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.