What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we all finally accept that stadiums are better than suburban parks?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Maybe all grounds should upgraded to modern standards! Don’t spend billions on Allianz for the SCG Trust. Give them a SWS type stadium and spend the rest upgrading Penrith, Cronulla and Brookvale to 25k modern grounds. Then crowds will grow.

Would love to see a 25k Bank West-style stadium north of the Harbour Bridge in the Sydney area.

Being realistic, this is never going to happen....

Maybe if we can get two teams playing out of the same ground (Sharks/Dragons) or if a club relocated out of the city and claimed the stadium as regional development (Sea Eagles to Gosford) they could get funding. But short of that, it aint happening.

Danish

Referee
Well....

Storm in their last 2 years at Olympic Park couldnt break a 12k average. Now they are sitting at +18k and growing.

Parra’s last year at PS was 12k and the highest they EVER got to was 16k. At WSS, they are already at 21k.

Just this weekend, Brooky pulls 15k while WSS pulls 30k. Does anyone really think it was better watching the Brooky crowd?

Can we all finally admit that stadiums are better for the clubs than these shitty suburban parks?

Even you know your point doesn’t really hold up to scrutiny considering you deliberately shortened parramatta STADIUM to PS when trying to use its 2018 attendances as an example of a park ground.

People go to watch good footy. The fact the eels were hopeless spooners in 2018 compared to top 8 contenders had much more effect on their crowds.

In 2-3 years when the shine is off the new stadium, don’t expect parras crowds to remain high if they have another shitty season.

IMO there is room in the NRL for stadiums and traditional parks. I’d love to see all teams playing out of stadiums, but then having a select 1-2 home games taken to traditional grounds per season

mave

Coach
IMO there is room in the NRL for stadiums and traditional parks. I’d love to see all teams playing out of stadiums, but then having a select 1-2 home games taken to traditional grounds per season

That is the obvious solution, and one I think most punters could get behind.

I have no doubt that this is also what the NRL will attempt to force clubs to do after Allianz gets rebuilt.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wests and bulldogs moving all games to bankwest would be a good start.
Then a 35k allianz replacement for roosters and Souths.
Then start the lobbying for Dragons and sharks to share a new stadium south of Sydney
Manly and Penrith are screwed sadly as you can’t justify $250mill for one club venues.
At least we’d have 80% of Sydney clubs playing in suitable venues in this scenario.

There was absolutely no comparison on the look for the game between the aami/bankwest games and the brookvale game. Manly v sharks looked like a second division game in comparison.

Between the 3 new stadiums (assuming we arent about to get f*cked over on SFS or ANZ) we have already solved the majority of Sydney games...

Parra are committed to WSS. Souths and Dogs will jump between WSS and the new ANZ. I think the Tigers will move to a 2-2-8 set-up (Campbeltown - Leichhardt - WWS) when they see how much larger their WWS are. Dragons, as well, will probably begin to move more games to one of these central stadiums as crowds pick up.

As usually, the 3 problems are Panthers, Sharks and Sea Eagles.
- Penrith are fine, i guess. Theyre 50k away from the CBD so they are pretty much a regional town.
- Sharks will send themselves broke again i expect, and this time they wont be able to flog off assets
- Manly are being inexplicable babies about Gosford. By all measures, they should be playing at least some of their games there. They draw great crowds and they actually a chance of getting gov. money to build it further.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Even you know your point doesn’t really hold up to scrutiny considering you deliberately shortened parramatta STADIUM to PS when trying to use its 2018 attendances as an example of a park ground.

People go to watch good footy. The fact the eels were hopeless spooners in 2018 compared to top 8 contenders had much more effect on their crowds.

Their last year at PS was 2016. But fair point, we should go back further.

In the 19 years they played their between the NRL forming and PS getting knocked down, they only broke a 15k average twice (both times they won the Minor Premiership)

They have never even gone close to the 20k average they have at WSS.

In 2-3 years when the shine is off the new stadium, don’t expect parras crowds to remain high if they have another shitty season.

The difference is that their shitty average here will still be better than any of the park teams in Syndey

I agree, Dogs have the perfect set-up with their Back To Belmore. It keeps the excitement of the park grounds alive....

Generalzod

Immortal
Between the 3 new stadiums (assuming we arent about to get f*cked over on SFS or ANZ) we have already solved the majority of Sydney games...

Parra are committed to WSS. Souths and Dogs will jump between WSS and the new ANZ. I think the Tigers will move to a 2-2-8 set-up (Campbeltown - Leichhardt - WWS) when they see how much larger their WWS are. Dragons, as well, will probably begin to move more games to one of these central stadiums as crowds pick up.

As usually, the 3 problems are Panthers, Sharks and Sea Eagles.
- Penrith are fine, i guess. Theyre 50k away from the CBD so they are pretty much a regional town.
- Sharks will send themselves broke again i expect, and this time they wont be able to flog off assets
- Manly are being inexplicable babies about Gosford. By all measures, they should be playing at least some of their games there. They draw great crowds and they actually a chance of getting gov. money to build it further.
I think your consultation are way off, Cronulla will be broke again,??

BennyV

Referee
The obvious solution is to move all Sydney home games to Kogarah.

Except Dragons home games. Apparently.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Their last year at PS was 2016. But fair point, we should go back further.

In the 19 years they played their between the NRL forming and PS getting knocked down, they only broke a 15k average twice (both times they won the Minor Premiership)

They have never even gone close to the 20k average they have at WSS.

The difference is that their shitty average here will still be better than any of the park teams in Syndey

I agree, Dogs have the perfect set-up with their Back To Belmore. It keeps the excitement of the park grounds alive....
They averaged 20k in their first season at the new ground in 1986.

firechild

First Grade
Why would Manly want to play at Gosford? It would make as much sense as the Sharks playing at Bankwest or the Roosters playing at Penrith.

Generalzod

Immortal
brilliant, but people will still blame the sydney traffic when it gets stuck in grid lock on Parramatta road. That's why it needs to be able to be lifted off the ground using drones.

So do you live in Sydney??? Do you know it used to take me after finishing night shift 2 hours and half HRS just get home from the Norwest to South of Sydney, Windsor road is attrocious it took me nearly 45 minutes just to get to the M4 at Rosehill, and please dont talk about King Georges Rd.

Last edited:
You derricks all seem to be forgetting Shark Park is going to be updated. It won’t be BankWest status but it’ll be a nice boutique ground.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You derricks all seem to be forgetting Shark Park is going to be updated. It won’t be BankWest status but it’ll be a nice boutique ground.

What upgrades? All I’ve seen is a few hundred extra uncovered seats put in when they do the LC upgrade. What else is planned in the next 2-3 years and whose paying for it?

What upgrades? All I’ve seen is a few hundred extra uncovered seats put in when they do the LC upgrade. What else is planned in the next 2-3 years and whose paying for it?

I’ve seen the early release plans. It looks great. I can’t say too much but the COE on the western side will incorporate new corporate boxes and heaps of seats both behind- and not behind glass.
The changes to the leagues club side and the removal of the hills on that side will mean the game day offering at Shark Park will be one of the most unique in Australian sport and the sharks precinct will be one of the best conference, entertainment and accomodation destinations in the country.

The bill is being picked up by the developer and the government depending on which part of the ground you are talking about.

I go through it in pretty comprehensive detail in this interview I do with Richard Munro. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podca...arks-nrl-podcast/id1038411132?i=1000445848550

Quicksilver

Bench

Yes. There are people on here that argue that Central Coast Stadium is ok, but Shark Park and Penrith aren't. It's stupid because all these ground provide a pretty similar experience.

The blanket use of the term "suburban ground" is stupid because there is a vast difference between the facilities at say Penrith and Leichardt.

Not that Leichhardt is a bad day out though.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Has the OP ever been to a quarter filled echo chamber like homebush or sfs for a regular season game. its pretty depressing?

I went to the SCG on Froday and even though there was 30K there, was only 3/4 full and the atmosphere was only ok.