What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

draco

Juniors
Draco,
There are many of us thinking likewise each and every day.

The forum and the members that make it, is our lifeline and therapy to the Dragons.

We can offload our frustration.
We can add some decent feedback to comments.

We can laugh & cry with the ups & downs of both the team and ourselves & our families.

We can support our team as one and we can support each other in time of need.

Friendships are formed and valued.

Amongst it all, we can collectively call for the sacking of McGregor and the betterment of our team.
Nicely done. Thanks.

possm

Coach
Compare them to us ...

Hunt = BNE
Norman = Parra
Pearson = BNE
Lafai = Dogs
McInnes = Souths
Graham = Dogs
K Sims = Knights
L Timm = Storm
Vaughan = Raiders
Frizell = Sharks
T Sims = Cowboys
Kaufusi = Cows
The clear difference is the standard of recruitment and football managemen stafft.

Last edited:

sco22

Juniors
Sorry Sco, Dick Huddart,Raper,Rasmussen,Walsh,Goulay,Ryan,Branson,Hawthorne, Whittenberg, Lake ,Lumsden ,Langlands signings may have helped us !
I know Denis look at the players you speak of are the best. It was just a line Frank Facer made about certain players coming to the Dragons to play like John Raper when playing for the blue bags.
Frank said how would you like to play with the Dragons, John goes along the line I’d love too, he signed the following season.
But Wests were called the Millionaires at that time in the early 60’s when we played them in 3 grand finals. I suppose they were trying to fight fire with fire.
Frank was a great CEO a player leaving or retiring with the Dragons he would go into the market place and find equal or a better player to continue the Dragons winning ways.
Let’s face it Denis right across footy at that time there were some very good footy players in all the teams just imagine what they would be worth today playing.

denis preston

First Grade
I know Denis look at the players you speak of are the best. It was just a line Frank Facer made about certain players coming to the Dragons to play like John Raper when playing for the blue bags.
Frank said how would you like to play with the Dragons, John goes along the line I’d love too, he signed the following season.
But Wests were called the Millionaires at that time in the early 60’s when we played them in 3 grand finals. I suppose they were trying to fight fire with fire.
Frank was a great CEO a player leaving or retiring with the Dragons he would go into the market place and find equal or a better player to continue the Dragons winning ways.
Let’s face it Denis right across footy at that time there were some very good footy players in all the teams just imagine what they would be worth today playing.

Agree mate.Whilst most think the opening of the taj was the basis of our ability to buy anyone , our first licensed club at the corner of rocky pt rd & princess hwy must have done pretty well to pay for it ! Admittedly this was the golden era for licenced clubs and badly managed golf & bowling clubs got away with murder due to the two armed bandits .That and the fact that the Dragons area was in a new family growth boom after WW2 gave us the junior product to compliment our signings , Gasnier & Smith being the best of them.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry Sco, Dick Huddart,Raper,Rasmussen,Walsh,Goulay,Ryan,Branson,Hawthorne, Whittenberg, Lake ,Lumsden ,Langlands signings may have helped us !
They wanted to play for us. The systems and training methods were the best in the League at the time. We also had some great juniors as well.

All clubs were paying players, but at Saints it was a better deal apart from the money. Raper was of the view that if he stayed at Newtown he would have had ended up with "busted shoulders."

Plus some of the players you mentioned came much later on towards the end of the 11-in-a-row, or afterwards. Phil Hawthorne for example played for us in 1968-1971.

Gareth67

First Grade
They wanted to play for us. The systems and training methods were the best in the League at the time. We also had some great juniors as well.

All clubs were paying players, but at Saints it was a better deal apart from the money. Raper was of the view that if he stayed at Newtown he would have had ended up with "busted shoulders."

Plus some of the players you mentioned came much later on towards the end of the 11-in-a-row, or afterwards. Phil Hawthorne for example played for us in 1968-1971.

I recall Phil Hawthorne winning the Dragons a Saturday Match of the Round ( against Manly I think ) by drop kicking 3 penalty goals , instead of the normal place kicks .

Weren’t they fuming as I believe that they had scored a converted try and were beaten by the solidarity point 6 - 5 . Good on you Phil , an ex- rugby boy made good with the mighty Saints .

denis preston

First Grade

Sure but as good as Frank Facer is lauded as the greatest Sec manager ever ( and do we need him now ) for balance no other club could compete with our Leagues club money apart from Wests in the 61-64 era and Manly from 67 onward.Some of the money we threw away, because we could, was criminal. The Dick Huddart contract for instance would be worth 2 million on todays value just so he didn't play for another club ! Offering blocks of land at Slyvania waters for our 3 grades player of the year was another example of over the top expenses we paid out.

Bench

And we played home games at Kogarah or the SCG, never a trouble having full house then.
I am not knocking Win but I feel a lot of players might br tempted if the Gong was in the picture

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Interested to see how Gus talks up the Saints next season during games after this review. If Mary gets moved on he will bag them delux, if Mary stays he will talk Saints up.If Saints imporve he will call himself a Messiah. One thing for sure all this crap in the past on how much he loved Saints as a kid is now proven to be false as I am sure if he was a fan, he would not want a coach who just managed to escape wooden spook at the helm nest season.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Interested to see how Gus talks up the Saints next season during games after this review. If Mary gets moved on he will bag them delux, if Mary stays he will talk Saints up.If Saints imporve he will call himself a Messiah. One thing for sure all this crap in the past on how much he loved Saints as a kid is now proven to be false as I am sure if he was a fan, he would not want a coach who just managed to escape wooden spook at the helm nest season.

Yes, well said, SM.
If Gould WAS a genuine Saints fan, like us ( he would be for life ) ....... so he would want to make sure that the right people were put in place, possibly, himself to start with.

Either way, as you say, he would 'make it happen at the Dragons.
So, we can only assume, he ain' one of us.

Wittenberg

Juniors

Part of your response reminds me of the Roosters now.

redVinme

Juniors
Its a Seinfeld Review................. nothing more, in fact, nothing in it!

Yep this would be Gould
george-costanza-with-penske-file.jpg

Pro Dragons

Juniors
You have to admire Mcgregor, he is arguably the worst coach in Dragon's history and yet has become the longest serving Dragons coach in the modern era. Then when he is in danger of losing his job he comes up with calling in his mate to do the season's review. The politicians in Canberra have got nothing on him.