What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we all finally accept that stadiums are better than suburban parks?

Generalzod

Immortal
What upgrades? All I’ve seen is a few hundred extra uncovered seats put in when they do the LC upgrade. What else is planned in the next 2-3 years and whose paying for it?
Well did it bother you that your tax payers dollars went to build bankwest stadium??its seems to bother you when it comes to the Sharks..

taipan

Referee
I’ve seen the early release plans. It looks great. I can’t say too much but the COE on the western side will incorporate new corporate boxes and heaps of seats both behind- and not behind glass.
The changes to the leagues club side and the removal of the hills on that side will mean the game day offering at Shark Park will be one of the most unique in Australian sport and the sharks precinct will be one of the best conference, entertainment and accomodation destinations in the country.

The bill is being picked up by the developer and the government depending on which part of the ground you are talking about.

I go through it in pretty comprehensive detail in this interview I do with Richard Munro. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podca...arks-nrl-podcast/id1038411132?i=1000445848550

It's OK PR is an authority on every Sydney NRL club, it's all supposed to happen overnight else the club should be relocated.

taipan

Referee
Well did it bother you that your tax payers dollars went to build bankwest stadium??its seems to bother you when it comes to the Sharks..

Mate, your'e dealing with tunnel vision, a not so rare condition.
Of course the WA state Govt didn't chip in for the SOO to be played there. The ACT Govt does pay the GWS Gnats a couple of million each year to play a couple of matches in Canberra a 10 year deal, plus contribution to better oval amenities.That's Ok .
No the Shark's member/fans/visitors do not pay taxes, they therefore cannot access any Govt Gants.

TheFrog

Coach
Can we all finally admit that stadiums are better for the clubs than these shitty suburban parks?
Yes of course they are better. New cars are better than old ones too. Everything is nice when its new. It's who pays for them that is the issue., and the other issue is that some clubs are getting taxpayer funded new toys whilst others have to pay for their own.

VictoryFC

Bench
Both WSS and Aami are in the same location as the stadiums they replaced. In the case of WSS, it is a suburban stadium.

What you are essentially saying is that new, modern stadiums are better than decrepit, old stadiums. Not much of an insight there.

TheFrog

Coach
So do you live in Sydney??? Do you know it used to take me after finishing night shift 2 hours and half HRS just get home from the Norwest to South of Sydney, Windsor road is attrocious it took me nearly 45 minutes just to get to the M4 at Rosehill, and please dont talk about King Georges Rd.
M7/M5 would take care of that but at a price.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’ve seen the early release plans. It looks great. I can’t say too much but the COE on the western side will incorporate new corporate boxes and heaps of seats both behind- and not behind glass.
The changes to the leagues club side and the removal of the hills on that side will mean the game day offering at Shark Park will be one of the most unique in Australian sport and the sharks precinct will be one of the best conference, entertainment and accomodation destinations in the country.

The bill is being picked up by the developer and the government depending on which part of the ground you are talking about.

I go through it in pretty comprehensive detail in this interview I do with Richard Munro. https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podca...arks-nrl-podcast/id1038411132?i=1000445848550

How much will capacity be increased by?

Perth Red

Post Whore

No as its Govt owned. I wouldn't be bothered at all if Shark Park got the $100mill (est) it needs spending on it, but can you realistically see that happening? It would be a good outcome to see the Sharks not be one of the unstable clubs holding back growth, a new or seriously refurbed stadium would be a great outcome.

It's OK PR is an authority on every Sydney NRL club, it's all supposed to happen overnight else the club should be relocated.

Not overnight but whats the plan? Hope the State Govt finds a few hundred mill to upgrade stadiums it doesn't own? Sounds like a doomed plan to me.

Trying to use the AFL system of stadiums for Melbourne teams is diabolical for the NRL Sydney teams. You can lay a handkerchief over all the locations of the Melbourne AFL teams they are that close together, so it makes sense for them. In Sydney we are spread out to all corners of the city.

As for the EPL, there are Premier League teams with sub-30k seat stadiums (and 2 barely above 20k). Not everyone is a Man City or Arsenal with a monster home ground.

More can be done with the existing grounds and bringing them up to a better standard. As much as I love Kogarah Oval, it needs to get with the future and finally ditch the grassy hill. Same goes for the other suburban grounds with this make up, their existence is purely about cost with the sentimentality of it being used as the “reason” for staying as is. This would also bring the facilities at these grounds into the modern age, making the game day experience more enticing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Trying to use the AFL system of stadiums for Melbourne teams is diabolical for the NRL Sydney teams. You can lay a handkerchief over all the locations of the Melbourne AFL teams they are that close together, so it makes sense for them. In Sydney we are spread out to all corners of the city.

As for the EPL, there are Premier League teams with sub-30k seat stadiums (and 2 barely above 20k). Not everyone is a Man City or Arsenal with a monster home ground.

More can be done with the existing grounds and bringing them up to a better standard. As much as I love Kogarah Oval, it needs to get with the future and finally ditch the grassy hill. Same goes for the other suburban grounds with this make up, their existence is purely about cost with the sentimentality of it being used as the “reason” for staying as is. This would also bring the facilities at these grounds into the modern age, making the game day experience more enticing.

First point is a bit of furphy, when you look at size of crowds attending the afl games they are coming from all corners of the city, not just the local area the team is called. Sure Melbourne has far better transport infrastructure than Sydney but to suggest all the AFL fans live within 30-40min of the MCG is a myth.

Not many of those EPL clubs with small grounds sustain their existence in the EPL. They are the yo yo teams.

Agreed but it costs a lot of money when you have 5 or 6 grounds to "do up" and with only one tenant its not really a good external investment. Sydney is stuck in 1970's old mentality and I see no change likely, especially with the new Chair's comments. Only hope is your parras, warriors, storm, broncos etc can continue to grow significantly and force change elsewhere for others to feel the need to keep up.

taipan

Referee
No as its Govt owned. I wouldn't be bothered at all if Shark Park got the $100mill (est) it needs spending on it, but can you realistically see that happening? It would be a good outcome to see the Sharks not be one of the unstable clubs holding back growth, a new or seriously refurbed stadium would be a great outcome.

Not overnight but whats the plan? Hope the State Govt finds a few hundred mill to upgrade stadiums it doesn't own? Sounds like a doomed plan to me.

You've been alerted to the initial plan re the C of E and the surrounds (a grant already provided by the Ste Govt).
You understand nothing can be done til the retail /Leagues rebuild is completed, that is a 2 year job for a start.A hell of a lot of work is going on just to realign ,lift the height of the Woolooware Rd Nth and Can cook drive with lights for a start, before the retail is started.
Everything in your world appears doomed ,unless it involves your mob.
At least the club is doing something.
Some of the growth clubs have been a little unstable of late.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
First point is a bit of furphy, when you look at size of crowds attending the afl games they are coming from all corners of the city, not just the local area the team is called. Sure Melbourne has far better transport infrastructure than Sydney but to suggest all the AFL fans live within 30-40min of the MCG is a myth.

Not many of those EPL clubs with small grounds sustain their existence in the EPL. They are the yo yo teams.

Agreed but it costs a lot of money when you have 5 or 6 grounds to "do up" and with only one tenant its not really a good external investment. Sydney is stuck in 1970's old mentality and I see no change likely, especially with the new Chair's comments. Only hope is your parras, warriors, storm, broncos etc can continue to grow significantly and force change elsewhere for others to feel the need to keep up.

Seriously mate Melbourne and suburbs geographical area is 9,990 sq kms .Sydney and suburbs area is 12,368 sq kms.Melbourne is clustered around /emanates from Port Phillip Bay .

Imagine a game at Shark Park at 7-50pm Friday night with the Panthers, how long by train after work for Panthers to get to Woolooware and get home after the game.How long by road after work.I've taken over 1h15 m to get home by car from the city after work.No chance with 6pm.
I've driven from my place to Castle Hill, thought I would need to stay overnight ,it took forever.

Sydney is divided by the Harbour/Parramatta River/Georges River.These are just a few physical bottlenecks.Ryde Bridge,Anzac Bridge,Harbour Bridge,Tom Ugly's Bridge,Captn Cook Bridge.

Melbourne was always a better planned city in the past and now than Sydney.

MCG is close to rail,SFS is not, and ANZ is a branch line to a stadium that is hated by one and all ATM.
How many AFL clubs have ground on the fringes of Melbourne? None.

Transport is the big issue in Sydney, and with 1.3m extra people within the next 10 years, unless expressways like the M6 are finished ,it's going to be an even bigger cluster........

How much will capacity be increased by?

You can listen to the podcast and find out. I'm not double handling.

And seriously STFU about "holding the game back". The Sharks just made the finals again for the 7th time in 8 years, had a couple of sell outs at the back of the year, grew their membership, obliterated their debt, increased their cash reserves with the sale of the development and after their exile will return to a modern entertainment precinct with updated stadium, hotel, conference centre and centre of excellence- and if you don't believe its going to happen take a drive down to Woolooware where the cranes have already moved in.

They are not going to draw an average of 20,000 because the are from a small area- but so what? The club has grown its membership and rates really well on TV (The 2 best fox rating games both featured Cronulla) which are KPIs just as important as crowds. The sharks are moving with the times and it isnt that club that is preventing a Perth team get admitted.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Seriously mate Melbourne and suburbs geographical area is 9,990 sq kms .Sydney and suburbs area is 12,368 sq kms.Melbourne is clustered around /emanates from Port Phillip Bay .

Imagine a game at Shark Park at 7-50pm Friday night with the Panthers, how long by train after work for Panthers to get to Woolooware and get home after the game.How long by road after work.I've taken over 1h15 m to get home by car from the city after work.No chance with 6pm.
I've driven from my place to Castle Hill, thought I would need to stay overnight ,it took forever.

Sydney is divided by the Harbour/Parramatta River/Georges River.These are just a few physical bottlenecks.Ryde Bridge,Anzac Bridge,Harbour Bridge,Tom Ugly's Bridge,Captn Cook Bridge.

Melbourne was always a better planned city in the past and now than Sydney.

MCG is close to rail,SFS is not, and ANZ is a branch line to a stadium that is hated by one and all ATM.
How many AFL clubs have ground on the fringes of Melbourne? None.

Transport is the big issue in Sydney, and with 1.3m extra people within the next 10 years, unless expressways like the M6 are finished ,it's going to be an even bigger cluster........

Good points ..

The NRL essentially were more advanced than the AFL as they gradually added more teams in the outer ring suburbs in30s 40s and the 60s

If the NRL was the AFL we would have these teams in Sydney .. and yes they all could play out of 1 or 2 stadiums..

Glebe
University
Balmain
Souths
Easts
Newtown
North's
West's ( lidcombe West's not campbelltown )

Fangs

Coach
When you sell out every finals game I'll accept it.

What are we predicting for the Souths final next week? 25k? Gotta get at least 35-40 or the atmosphere will stink.

Never said that all their fans live anywhere near the 2 stadiums. What I said is that every AFL team in Melbourne is practically next to each other geographically. For someone who follows Richmond living in the northern suburbs to change from visiting Punt Road to the MCG is nothing. For a Sharks fan living in the Shire to have to visit the SFS is a massive move. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Again, not the point. These are grounds that are up to standard for the world leading soccer league. They sustain their club, which is what they should be doing. Would the EFL make London teams like Crystal Palace play at Wembley because it’s a bigger stadium than Selhurst Park and theoretically could have greater attendance for their League & Cup ties? No chance.

A lot of these grounds are no longer one tenant grounds. Kogarah Oval is the home of the FFA now (and the Cronulla Sharks for a few seasons coming up) and along with Leichhardt Oval is the home for Sydney FC while the SFS is renovated. Leichhardt Oval also plays host to the majority of the important NSWRL games, as well as NRC games in the past. Campbelltown Stadium and Penrith Park host Western Sydney Wanderers games. Calling these grounds one tenant grounds is ignorant at best, and deliberately misleading at its worst.

Latest posts