What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Ricky really dropping some wisdom in the presser tonight whilst still managing to squeeze in some well deserved self-praise.

Ricky’s foresight to carry an outside back on the bench to combat any potential pyrotechnical catastrophes was a master-stroke.

And I for one believe Ricky when he says he wouldn’t have blamed that incident if the result was to go the other way.

A nice gentle swipe at people that have questioned his coaching ability was then rounded out by some hawt bubble talk.

Who wouldn’t want to jump in the jacooze and share a bubble bath with the Stick Man?

Avenger

Immortal
Ricky is a narcissistic f**kwit. Those comments in the presser prove that he reads too much of his own press and deep down it must affect him.

Ricky is a narcissistic f**kwit. Those comments in the presser prove that he reads too much of his own press and deep down it must affect him.

He's human. That's what I like about him. If I was in his position I'd probably get caught up in reading my headlines too.

Anyway, he's a great coach and I've never doubted him. He's taken guys from the scrap heap like CNK & Rapana and turned them into world class players. Blake Austin too. It didn't work out with Blake, so he moves Wighton to 5/8 and unlocks his full potential. He realizes the game is changing direction with the interchange reduction, so sheds Boyd & Paulo. He then moves Papalii to prop and unlocks his full potential. Cotric becomes an origin player under his watch. Then there's the best of british masterstroke.

Genius.

BadnMean

Juniors
He's human. That's what I like about him. If I was in his position I'd probably get caught up in reading my headlines too.

Anyway, he's a great coach and I've never doubted him. He's taken guys from the scrap heap like CNK & Rapana and turned them into world class players. Blake Austin too. It didn't work out with Blake, so he moves Wighton to 5/8 and unlocks his full potential. He realizes the game is changing direction with the interchange reduction, so sheds Boyd & Paulo. He then moves Papalii to prop and unlocks his full potential. Cotric becomes an origin player under his watch. Then there's the best of british masterstroke.

Genius.

People can argue some of those are luck (or genius born of desperation). But not ALL of that.

He moved on Boyd & Paolo not so much for interchange reasons but to improve the defence mobility in linespeed & not being exposed behind the ruck by lumberers with no movement. It worked.

Travitoh

First Grade
The fact that he made 3 grand finals in a row notwithstanding, he only won one of those, in his debut year. That was 2002. Ever since then, he has tread water in a pool of shit, hopping from one responsibility to the next, whether it be club or representative level, and failing at every single one. And don't bring up his stint as the Kangaroos coach, that was all the unified skill of the players.

Why is it then, that these talent bankrupt clubs (Cronulla 2007-2010, Parramatta 2013, Canberra 2014) put so much stock in those first 3 years of his career? That is ancient history by today's standards. His name always manages to find its way into the headlines, whether be over one of his signature whinges or something else, while actual amazing coaches like Hasler, Bennett and Bellamy with a proven pedigree get on with the job without making a big song and dance in the press over every little thing.

The only other challenger I could think of for the most overrated coach of the modern era would be Tim Sheens. Coaches who have had more than their fair share of chances, come up naught and continue to get them.

Anthony Seibold

RedVDave

First Grade
If Canberra win the big one who gets this tag? Hope there's room left on the Raiders bandwagon cause I am jumping on it.

Exsilium

First Grade
Well if he wins the GF, thread should be closed and a new one started....

“Is Paul McGregor the most overrated coach ever?”

Latest posts