What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players let go by other clubs.

jeffdragon

Bench
Dogs have let Liccha and a few others go, Panthers have let Frank Winterstein, Hame Sale and a few others go.
Now the Broncos might lose a few.
I suppose we are waiting till after CC ends to announce who's leaving us .
Other than Robson lats and widdop , I wonder how many more will go.

possm

Coach
Dogs have let Liccha and a few others go, Panthers have let Frank Winterstein, Hame Sale and a few others go.
A good club official would already have made this decision on the vast majority of players within the club. Delay in acting usually ends up badly, so why wait until 1 Nov unless there is no suitable player available in the market?

Gareth67

First Grade
A good club official would already have made this decision on the vast majority of players within the club. Delay in acting usually ends up badly, so why wait until 1 Nov unless there is no suitable player available in the market?

Possum mate , they cannot go signing anyone until their loyal fans start a ‘ go fund me ‘ page . Once the money has been raised then they can look at the usual journeymen available on the market .

BLM01

First Grade
Hame Sele!!!. People were saying how can we let him go...lets get him back, he knows Dragons Footy.
Same fate will apply in a year or 2 re Pat Herbert, Field and Masters.
I also said the same re Garrick but will have to admit I was wrong there...for this year anyway
I want to see how he goes next year. His defence still concerns me.
Robson...hmmm..lets wait & see

Como Connection

First Grade
Hame Sele!!!. People were saying how can we let him go...lets get him back, he knows Dragons Footy.
I also said the same re Garrick but will have to admit I was wrong there...for this year anyway
Agree
Hame back please.
CC

True_Believer

Juniors

It's a no win situation for the club. If we let them go people are up in arms because we've let go of some solid first grade footballers. We don't let them go and we are keeping deadwood or can't foster our youth. Doesn't matter what the club does it will be wrong in this instance.

I agree with you, Garrick has played good attacking footy this year, but he's in a well coached and confident team. However, when you look at the defensive heatmap for Manly, there's a huge red dot for tries scored against them down Garrick's side of the field. I'm actually surprised that more teams didn't exploit that weakness.

Old Timer

Coach
The issue is that we let go some youth yet to be looked at properly in favour of signing
Nicholls, Latimore, Allgood, Maranta.
Try the youth and then discard if warranted rather than discard in favour of proven plodders.
If the youth proves inadequate then so be it but at least we found our before letting a really good one slip through our fingers.
Current coaching system & staff are unable to do the job properly so that makes it even more frustrating.
It’s a mess alright.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Been reported by the Mole that Storm winger Vunivalu maybe released at end of this season due to Salary cap balancing act to compensate Munster & others pay increase.
Now he'd be the one winger that every club would love on their books!
Trade him for the RAV4!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The issue is that we let go some youth yet to be looked at properly in favour of signing
Nicholls, Latimore, Allgood, Maranta.
Try the youth and then discard if warranted rather than discard in favour of proven plodders.
If the youth proves inadequate then so be it but at least we found our before letting a really good one slip through our fingers.
Current coaching system & staff are unable to do the job properly so that makes it even more frustrating.
It’s a mess alright.

Your second last paragraph is the key here OT.
You could also add the continued selection of said journeymen, out of form and injured players, must surely be demoralising for our youngsters.
The big question is, who wants to come to play Dragons footy under McGregor? The fact that we are linked to so many journeymen comes down to the point of blaming Millward for signing them or blaming McGregor for creating the current style of play and roadblocks?

If and when McGregor is finally gone, it will be curious to see under the new coach if our recruitement and retention turns around. If it doesn't the blame would surely rest with Millward.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The big question is, who wants to come to play Dragons footy under McGregor?

I know who would love to come. Any player that has no hope of playing regular first grade for their current club and sits on the bench most of career will jump at the chance to play under Mary. They will get first crack at any spot before a Dragons junior does and will get pick each week on NRL experience alone forget how poor their form is. Ask Latimore, Lafai ect. No other coach would pick them in their starting side bar Mary. Juniors only get a run at Saints if there is no player left due to injury.

denis preston

First Grade
Your second last paragraph is the key here OT.
You could also add the continued selection of said journeymen, out of form and injured players, must surely be demoralising for our youngsters.
The big question is, who wants to come to play Dragons footy under McGregor? The fact that we are linked to so many journeymen comes down to the point of blaming Millward for signing them or blaming McGregor for creating the current style of play and roadblocks?

If and when McGregor is finally gone, it will be curious to see under the new coach if our recruitement and retention turns around. If it doesn't the blame would surely rest with Millward.

I assume a new coach will have more power to TELL Millward who he wants.

hewi

Bench
I know who would love to come. Any player that has no hope of playing regular first grade for their current club and sits on the bench most of career will jump at the chance to play under Mary. They will get first crack at any spot before a Dragons junior does and will get pick each week on NRL experience alone forget how poor their form is. Ask Latimore, Lafai ect. No other coach would pick them in their starting side bar Mary. Juniors only get a run at Saints if there is no player left due to injury.

Not only that but they will,probably be paid overs to come to the club they won’t have to really perform for their pay cheque and can just cruise along until retirement.

qld redvee

Juniors
I assume a new coach will have more power to TELL Millward who he wants.
Denis
I think mary actually gets who he wants . Millward finds players for postions coach wants . then to millwards credit ?? he has to "reject " players we cant afford and then mary decides on the old plodder that suits him .. But you do have to wonder why a signing like Maranta and not a junior

Gareth67

First Grade
Been reported by the Mole that Storm winger Vunivalu maybe released at end of this season due to Salary cap balancing act to compensate Munster & others pay increase.
Trade him for the RAV4!

You are right on that Coffs , just wondering as to whether the chap has an injury with his leg ?

TruSaint

Referee
Trade him for the RAV4!

Wonderful winger and in the modern game, their role has risen greatly.

The fox, Tupou, Siva, Fergo, Morris, Rapana, etc... the list goes on. Return metres, devastating in attack, starting sets 20-30 metres up field, long field try's, powerful and fast. That's why nowadays they are just about reaching "spine" $$$.

As to us getting Vunivalu.. sorry bro. No chance.