What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is why we hate the storm

lazza

Juniors
Low penalty count gives the storm a massive advantage - there should be bets on how many penalties will be blown.

moffla

Bench
I've bitten my tongue because Raiders deserves the win, but 2 missed sin bins, a phantom line drop out followed by the debacle at the end...if it happened in reverse this page would be 62 pages long.

The refs made mistakes, I'm alright with it, they're human.
But they're not immune from punishment. I'm sure he'll be back reffing our prelim if we make it.

moffla

Bench
I love how much shit the Touch Judge gets for a call that had millimetres in it and he couldn't see, yet little to nothing is said about Addo-Carr literally throwing the game away 2 minutes before.
In storm circles a lot has been said. But that doesn't sell papers, controversy does

SBD82

Coach
I've bitten my tongue because Raiders deserves the win, but 2 missed sin bins, a phantom line drop out followed by the debacle at the end...if it happened in reverse this page would be 62 pages long.

The refs made mistakes, I'm alright with it, they're human.
But they're not immune from punishment. I'm sure he'll be back reffing our prelim if we make it.
*sigh*

How the hell are we supposed to have a good old Melbourne bashing when you respond with rational posts like this?

You’re really taking the fun out of this thread. What about thinking of the greater good for a change?

adamkungl

Immortal
the wrestle is a relatively new thing, I became a storm fan in 1999. Sadly the refs and nrl have allowed it to become a very successful tactic for winning games. I can’t see how they can claw it back unless they do something radical like change the rules or have a massive clamp down but then we know how much everyone will whinge at penalties.

They could just call held a second earlier and make players get up as soon as the ball carrier hits the ground.

That said - I don't really buy the argument that the faster ruck makes SL more entertaining, and i watch SL most weeks.
The playing quality of SL certainly isn't higher.
The balance of attack vs defence might be skewed too far in favour of attack - a constantly scrambling defence means simpler, faster attacking structures get easier rewards.
No team in Super League could pull off the attack the Roosters and Storm are engineering this year. And that's come from working hard to pull apart a set defensive line that has the advantages of a 3 second hold in the ruck and the attacker actually playing the ball properly (unlike the touch-footy roll ball in SL).

Super League might feature more end-to-end play but it comes at the expense of a more intense battle between attack and defence - which ultimately results in lower quality for both.

Springs09

Juniors
They could just call held a second earlier and make players get up as soon as the ball carrier hits the ground.

That said - I don't really buy the argument that the faster ruck makes SL more entertaining, and i watch SL most weeks.
The playing quality of SL certainly isn't higher.
The balance of attack vs defence might be skewed too far in favour of attack - a constantly scrambling defence means simpler, faster attacking structures get easier rewards.
No team in Super League could pull off the attack the Roosters and Storm are engineering this year. And that's come from working hard to pull apart a set defensive line that has the advantages of a 3 second hold in the ruck and the attacker actually playing the ball properly (unlike the touch-footy roll ball in SL).

Super League might feature more end-to-end play but it comes at the expense of a more intense battle between attack and defence - which ultimately results in lower quality for both.

I agree Super League isn't more entertaining and definitely isn't higher quality, I think it has more to do with the sloppy touch football rucks, poor ball control and poor defence in Super League. The NRL's wrestle and slower rucks do require the need for good attacking structure, but I much prefer watching off-the-cuff and second phase football than I do block plays.

There won't be any way to fully stop wrestling without lots of penalties which everyone will whinge about - but one way to start is to reward one-on-ones and legs tackles more than these 3-man catch-and-hold tackles. I'd much rather see a player allowed to flop on top of a one-on-one legs tackle than these 10-second rucks we have where 3 players hold the ball carrier up then they all fall over once the ref calls held and slowly peel off, the last player taking forever cause he is 'tangled'.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree Super League isn't more entertaining and definitely isn't higher quality, I think it has more to do with the sloppy touch football rucks, poor ball control and poor defence in Super League. The NRL's wrestle and slower rucks do require the need for good attacking structure, but I much prefer watching off-the-cuff and second phase football than I do block plays.

There won't be any way to fully stop wrestling without lots of penalties which everyone will whinge about - but one way to start is to reward one-on-ones and legs tackles more than these 3-man catch-and-hold tackles. I'd much rather see a player allowed to flop on top of a one-on-one legs tackle than these 10-second rucks we have where 3 players hold the ball carrier up then they all fall over once the ref calls held and slowly peel off, the last player taking forever cause he is 'tangled'.

I find it more entertaining mostly, but I like fast open flowing RL. for me 24-22 will always be the ideal RL score showing balance of attack and defence, Probably somewhere in the middle is the ideal.
One thing I've noticed between then and now is that refs call held then tell players to release. Maybe if they made players release as soon as called held like the old days then it takes a second or two out of the wrestle?

T-Boon

Coach

If there are 3 in the tackle the defense should not be allowed any markers.

lazza

Juniors
*sigh*

How the hell are we supposed to have a good old Melbourne bashing when you respond with rational posts like this?

You’re really taking the fun out of this thread. What about thinking of the greater good for a change?

Lol - I actually really liked the Storm when they won it in 1999. I do like their attack esp when Cronk was there, just really hate their defence and how they get away with so much. So much so that if a ref blows too many penalties against them gets benched.

ACTPanthers

Bench
If there are 3 in the tackle the defense should not be allowed any markers.
I don’t normally bite, well in a serious manner anyway, but introducing additional rules for the refs to enforce is just silly. Refining our current rules (and the possibility of scrapping a few) is the way to go in my opinion. The held call for example. If you refine that, you could speed up the ruck more than enough to make a difference.

Someguy

First Grade
Low penalty count gives the storm a massive advantage - there should be bets on how many penalties will be blown.

Would normally agree with this statement but I believe Parra like a more flowing game and do not rely on consecutive penalties to make things happen in attack, Storm may even benefit from more penalties in this match up as they can reset defence structure and control the ruck. Could actually see Parra getting more bogged down and frustrated than Storm if this was to be a stop start affair.

taxidriver

Coach
NRL is desperate for a successful franchise in Melbourne, absolutely desperate.

the rules wont change

it's short sighted because they have allowed the product to suffer to benefit the Victorian franchise

Billythekid

First Grade
NRL is desperate for a successful franchise in Melbourne, absolutely desperate.

the rules wont change

it's short sighted because they have allowed the product to suffer to benefit the Victorian franchise

Not only is this conspiracy theory about as dumb as believing the earth is flat it also just doesn’t reflect the reality posters on this forum want to believe. The storm are successful for so many more reasons than just grappling in the ruck and if you think slightly speeding up the play the ball will suddenly make the storm shit you’re in for a rude awakening.

I don’t normally bite, well in a serious manner anyway, but introducing additional rules for the refs to enforce is just silly. Refining our current rules (and the possibility of scrapping a few) is the way to go in my opinion. The held call for example. If you refine that, you could speed up the ruck more than enough to make a difference.

The rules are already there they just need to be enforced. How many times a game do you hear the ref call held only to see a player then brought to the ground and held down? Or a red tell the players to get up only for them to sit around for a few more seconds before reacting?

A lot of this is down to fan reaction as well. If too many penalties are blown everyone freaks out. If you want the ruck speed changed you just need to actually enforce the rules.