What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Gigot

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Its always fun guessing who HAS to go and who is going.
Players may have been asked to look around, however, if they are currently under contract for 2020 or beyond any club wanting to pick them up would be, without a doubt, asking us to dip in for their salary. No way (if) they go to their new club on 100% freight. No negotiation will prevent that, its pay or you keep the player until their contract expires and you can release them. The inly way around this, I believe, is when the player asks for the release.
In any case, we dont know for certain who is leaving the club, only Masters (whose salary wasnt part of the top 30), Latimore (who was really playing for a base salary), Robson (who probably was close to base salary). Have I forgotten anyone?

possm

Coach
I am glad he is not. Possm thinks we have unlimited funds and forgets we are in 2019 and cant offload players who are on contract and expect to save much money.. cause clubs are not going to take em of your hands for big money while your obliged to pay a contract...that includes James Graham
Look at Penrith and RCG for example for the next 4 years paying part of his contract
Buy Ash Taylor on similar money to replace Hunt?...that is what his manager wants?. After his year in instiutions, rehab, reserve grade or wherever else he languished 2019 and then ask him to play and perform under Mary.
Possm's 1st paragraph is sort of correct but hard to sign someone like that put on a pedestal overseas and have him playin reggies is a stretch.
His ideas are sound if you are starting a new club or are the Eastern Suburbs Roosters, Brisbane, or Melbourne squads but to fit 17 tried and tested players in your 1st grade squad and then another 13 just as good mixed up with the best Juniors under a cap. Good luck with that.
Well your comments are no surprise to me. Let's just keep doing the same thing season after season with the same people in charge; everything will be OK.

There needs to be change and a big change each season until we are back were we should be; in the top 4.

Players on contract who we want gone and who do not want to move on should be dropped to reserve grade. The player and his manager know that spells a disaster for them when they are looking for a new contract elsewhere at end of contract. I am very confident player mangers will seek a release and move on rather than risk having their client's value - and of course their commission - drop for the next contract. Players like Dufty, Field, Aitken and Lafai are very suitable for the ESL competition. They will be in demand for ESL.

Taylor to be offered a two year deal at 500k with a sizable upgraded extension if things work out well. That gives Millward two years to organise for a 750k contract extension.

Finding cap space for a first grade fullback, a centre and a winger would easily be covered by using the cap of Dufty, Field, Aitken, Lafai, Hunt (500k) and Widdop (200k):

1. Mitchell - Hunt half 500k Widdop 200k, Dufty 200k, Field 200k (1.1m).
2. Saab - under contract
3. Lomax - under contract
4. Ramien - on Lafai money
5. Oats - on Aitken, Ravalawa and Maranta money
6. Norman - under contract
7. Taylor - on 500k, half of Hunt money

And of course a new coach. This has the makings of a great backline.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Well your comments are no surprise to me. Let's just keep doing the same thing season after season with the same people in charge; everything will be OK.

There needs to be change and a big change each season until we are back were we should be; in the top 4.

Players on contract who we want gone and who do not want to move on should be dropped to reserve grade. The player and his manager know that spells a disaster for them when they are looking for a new contract elsewhere at end of contract. I am very confident player mangers will seek a release and move on rather than risk having their client's value - and of course their commission - drop for the next contract. Players like Dufty, Field, Aitken and Lafai are very suitable for the ESL competition. They will be in demand for ESL.

Taylor to be offered a two year deal at 500k with a sizable upgraded extension if things work out well. That gives Millward two years to organise for a 750k contract extension.

Finding cap space for a first grade fullback, a centre and a winger would easily be covered by using the cap of Dufty, Field, Aitken, Lafai, Hunt (500k) and Widdop (200k):

1. Mitchell - Hunt half 500k Widdop 200k, Dufty 200k, Field 200k (1.1m).
2. Saab - under contract
3. Lomax - under contract
4. Ramien - on Lafai money
5. Oats - on Aitken, Ravalawa and Maranta money
6. Norman - under contract
7. Taylor - on 500k, half of Hunt money

And of course a new coach. This has the makings of a great backline.
No I want things to change dramatically including players but you want to do it in 1 go and is impossible.
Your arguments are sound until you start putting it into money context
Dufty I think 250K if not more now + Aitken & Lafai are on contract so you have to pay them some money next year out of your cap for a club (if in fact a club) takes them off you so you do not have their cap money to spare.
Play em in reggies but it will still cost you.
You cant budget that they will cut ties and walk away with nothing and want to go to the ESL.
No way will you be able to negotiate Taylor on 500K to start with with a manager by his side. You are dreaming. And Hunt is a better player on his day. Taylor hype is still a mystery to me.

BLM01

First Grade
Its always fun guessing who HAS to go and who is going.
Players may have been asked to look around, however, if they are currently under contract for 2020 or beyond any club wanting to pick them up would be, without a doubt, asking us to dip in for their salary. No way (if) they go to their new club on 100% freight. No negotiation will prevent that, its pay or you keep the player until their contract expires and you can release them. The inly way around this, I believe, is when the player asks for the release.
In any case, we dont know for certain who is leaving the club, only Masters (whose salary wasnt part of the top 30), Latimore (who was really playing for a base salary), Robson (who probably was close to base salary). Have I forgotten anyone?
yeh Mary will ask for a release!....wont he?...please? :)

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There is also the point here that both Saab and Ford would have to be elevated to the top 30 which they are not atm. If so, their salary would have to also be condidered. I think Saab is contracted for 3 more years(?) and Ford 2.

possm

Coach
No I want things to change dramatically including players but you want to do it in 1 go and is impossible.
Your arguments are sound until you start putting it into money context
Dufty I think 250K if not more now + Aitken & Lafai are on contract so you have to pay them some money next year out of your cap for a club (if in fact a club) takes them off you so you do not have their cap money to spare.
Play em in reggies but it will still cost you.
You cant budget that they will cut ties and walk away with nothing and want to go to the ESL.
No way will you be able to negotiate Taylor on 500K to start with with a manager by his side. You are dreaming. And Hunt is a better player on his day. Taylor hype is still a mystery to me.
Of course the cap/salary dollars are indicative. They aren't published and very rarely are reported.

Cast you mind back to when Brett Morris left the Dragons to go to the Dogs with one year left on his contract. Did the Dogs pay any extras - NO, did the Dragons contribute towards his salary for the following year - NO. My point is that if we drop the deadwood who won't leave to reserve grade, their manager will ask for a release for fear the players value will go down. No compensation to be made. The new club can make it's own arangements with the player's manager.

BLM01

First Grade
Of course the cap/salary dollars are indicative. They aren't published and very rarely are reported.

Cast you mind back to when Brett Morris left the Dragons to go to the Dogs with one year left on his contract. Did the Dogs pay any extras - NO, did the Dragons contribute towards his salary for the following year - NO. My point is that if we drop the deadwood who won't leave to reserve grade, their manager will ask for a release for fear the players value will go down. No compensation to be made. The new club can make it's own arangements with the player's manager.
You are comparing apples with Muzbies!...wanted V unwanted player
Brett Morris!!. He wanted to leave for almost fullback money as an elite winger.
Dogs paid overs and extras for a winger when looking what the best wingers were worth on the market at that time.
Thats why....and Dessie wanted him

I understand your point but you cant budget in your cap that they will up and leave straight away and that somebody wants them at full freight becuase they are potentially playing reggies.
Because if they dont get a club..or ask for a release.... or the club may need them as depth and refuse them.. your stuffed.
Lafai career is coming to an end anyway so why would he care getting $400K odd or more (who knows) to play reggies.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
It looks like that Frenchstick will be announced shortly as coming to our club
FMD...I hope it is not true. c'est la vie.

Bench
If Pepe is coming I would love to know how club got interested in him, did Millward fly to France or does our recruitment just watch Utube

Dragsters

First Grade
oh no sorry to scare you! Im just being cynical but sadly, I wouldnt be surprised if we did , the depths weve sunk, a skeleton of a football team thanks to the greedy scum who run the joint with NO care for us or rugby league

Phew...

Most of you are probably unaware that Tony Gigot's brother, Samuel Gigot, is a professional soccer player for the powerful Spartak Moscow side. He plays as a defender.

This is a photo of a pretty ferocious Samuel Gigot:

SparM-Orenburg_%2811%29.jpg

This indicates that the Gigot family is rich in sporting talent.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Most of you are probably unaware that Tony Gigot's brother, Samuel Gigot, is a professional soccer player for the powerful Spartak Moscow side. He plays as a defender.

This is a photo of a pretty ferocious Samuel Gigot:

SparM-Orenburg_%2811%29.jpg

This indicates that the Gigot family is rich in sporting talent.
Well let's sign Samuel as he would be infinitely better than his ponderous brother Tony.
By the way your post indicates that you like to draw a very long bow and use piss poor comparisons to try & justify the unjustifiable.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Who the hell do you think you are calling me a "Phony [sic] Idiot?"
Not you I'm referring too......it's more our useless coach & recruitment at the Dragons!!!

I'm struggling to think of 1 Frenchmen that has made any impact in the NRL or ARL, except John Ribot de Bresac that almost single handily phucked our game with his vision!!

Not you I'm referring too......it's more our useless coach & recruitment at the Dragons!!!

I'm struggling to think of 1 Frenchmen that has made any impact in the NRL or ARL, except John Ribot de Bresac that almost single handily phucked our game with his vision!!

You have forgotten the French prop Remi Casty, who I discussed earlier in the thread, pointing out that he scored two tries in twelve games for the Sydney Roosters in 2014.

There was also the French back rower Benjamin Garcia, who scored a try for Penrith in the Auckland Nines, which was rated by www.nrl.com as the best try of the Nines that year

possm

Coach
You are comparing apples with Muzbies!...wanted V unwanted player
Brett Morris!!. He wanted to leave for almost fullback money as an elite winger.
Dogs paid overs and extras for a winger when looking what the best wingers were worth on the market at that time.
Thats why....and Dessie wanted him

I understand your point but you cant budget in your cap that they will up and leave straight away and that somebody wants them at full freight becuase they are potentially playing reggies.
Because if they dont get a club..or ask for a release.... or the club may need them as depth and refuse them.. your stuffed.
Lafai career is coming to an end anyway so why would he care getting $400K odd or more (who knows) to play reggies.
It could be a plan which may succeed or may not for the reasons you state. At the end of the day Millward caused the mess by extending Aitken and Lafai long term rather than short term even after their previous season was nothing special.

So in the end Millward can rectify the situation by ridding the club of these two centres by off-loading them without compensation or he can accept the mess and take responsibility for these over-priced reserve graders.

Latest posts