What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

BLM01

First Grade
No chance he comes as assistant. Why would he ? He should know his fate tomorrow.

Also, it seems the NRL / ARLC are not firm on his suspension for 2020. As quoted in the SMH yesterday..

Flanagan, the history-making former Sharks boss, is expected to know within weeks if he can be sounded out about potential NRL jobs as early as next year - at either a head coach or assistant level - as the ARLC consider the issue.

Flanagan's role in the game will be one of the final points of business for the commission under Peter Beattie's chairmanship, with Greenberg to present recommendations about his re-introduction to the game on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...eenberg-makes-final-call-20190918-p52sp8.html
That was my thoughts.initially...but we'll see...stay tuned!

TruSaint

Referee
That was my thoughts.initially...but we'll see...stay tuned!

You may be right buddy.. Who knows. Just doesn't make sense if he gets clearance tomorrow. Jobs will open up in 2020, and if he is free to coach then being an assistant to Mary would be the last option he takes.

BLM01

First Grade
You may be right buddy.. Who knows. Just doesn't make sense if he gets clearance tomorrow. Jobs will open up in 2020, and if he is free to coach then being an assistant to Mary would be the last option he takes.
Just maybe....GUS helped him write the 10 page apology and the timing of it..is all I am saying.
But anything goes when you set foot into...."The Twilight Zone"!...with that epic background music

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
No chance he comes as assistant. Why would he ? He should know his fate tomorrow.

Also, it seems the NRL / ARLC are not firm on his suspension for 2020. As quoted in the SMH yesterday..

Flanagan, the history-making former Sharks boss, is expected to know within weeks if he can be sounded out about potential NRL jobs as early as next year - at either a head coach or assistant level - as the ARLC consider the issue.

Flanagan's role in the game will be one of the final points of business for the commission under Peter Beattie's chairmanship, with Greenberg to present recommendations about his re-introduction to the game on Thursday.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ar...eenberg-makes-final-call-20190918-p52sp8.html

Beattie will not allow Flanagan to come back next year.

He wants to leave the nrl with his footprint to stamping out drug & violence against women related issues.

Methinks he won't allow anything tainted back in during his watch....... plus he hates the Dragons.

TruSaint

Referee

He wants to leave the nrl with his footprint to stamping out drug & violence against women related issues.

Methinks he won't allow anything tainted back in during his watch....... plus he hates the Dragons.

To be honest mate, I have no idea what they will decide. Few weeks back Flanno was gone for 2020. The fact they have opened the door now, after an " apology" is baffling.

blacksafake

First Grade

Would be nice if V’Landys was chairman now because he’s a Dragons supporter

Crush

Coach
Flanno allowed back as an assistant only from December. Must serve 2 years as an assistant before allowed to be a head coach.

Coffs dragon

Bench
So it's been confirmed by Buzz Rothfield on NRL 360 tonight that Flanno has been granted permission to return in 2020 as an Assistant Coach! He still must serve another 2 year suspension, before he can become a Head Coach again in 2022.
Not sure where he's going to end up at this stage.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Flanno allowed back as an assistant only from December. Must serve 2 years as an assistant before allowed to be a head coach.
If that is true I wouldn't bother with him, that means there will be no chance he will be interim coach if Mary is sacked early. We need an assistant that can and will step in halfway through next season. If we have to wait 2 years for a coach id prefer to target bigger fish than Flanno.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well thats that then.

No chance of coming to us, unless we are willing to wait until post 2022 to make a change.

And you can bet that is exactly the way the Dragons would like it . Mary sees out his contract and IF and it’s a big IF Flanagan is still available the Dragon heirachy will make a play for his services only to have been well and truly beaten to the punch by another club before our fools even contemplate making an offer .

SaintPauli

Juniors
Flanno would be a very handy & valuable Assistant Coach to someone like Craig Fitzgibbon as a new Head Coach. Only problem being Dragons would be too gutless to make this decision and sack the Peanut.
You all remember the english comedy Yes Minister?
I would get Flannery and make it " yes Mary" !
Even if Mary is sacked during next season or even better quits! the new interim coach ( who cares who) would sit in the box but believe me Flannary would be the one really mentoring the players. Win Win IMO.
Even if its 2 years.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
And you can bet that is exactly the way the Dragons would like it . Mary sees out his contract and IF and it’s a big IF Flanagan is still available the Dragon heirachy will make a play for his services only to have been well and truly beaten to the punch by another club before our fools even contemplate making an offer .

Good points there Gareth.

I see it this way: No-one would be really in the market for Flanagan, all clubs bar our seem to have their assistants pretty well tied down, even the new appointees at Newcastle and Titans have or have employed new assistants to help them.
So, back to the Dragons, with the rumours of Head and Hornby being moved on, with only Young appearing to be the keeper atm, this could play out 2 ways, assuming Flanagan gets the green light.

1. Flanagan is appointed assistant coach and coach of the CC team in place of Head. Young stays on as direct assistant to McTeflon.
2. Young is appointed CC coach and Flanagan straight assistant to McTeflon.

Personally, I think option 1 has more appeal to him making the commitment to come to the Dragons. At least this would keep his hands in coaching directly and give him a better feel for the "fringe" players.

Now, if McTeflon fails miserably early next season, then obviously Young steps into the caretaker roll until Flanno is cleared, with him obviously calling the shots from a distance.

The positive here is, and it may seem a dim light in the distance, is that if Flanno does come to the Dragons, in whatever capacity, this would be the final 2yrs max of McTeflon for certain.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

That's crazy and downright heartbreaking.

Two years as an assistant to McIdiot will coach any coaching qualities out of Flanagan.
He'll be decoached.
He'll be unable to string two words together.
He'll be losing all his hair.
He'll need to be on something just to survive!

It must be a ploy to then send him back to the Nulla Narks, coachless for the next decade.

SAP58

Juniors
We all know McIdiot has a massive ego and cannot be told anything (eg. Lachlan Timm) so it wouldn’t work with Flanagan and i cannot see a coach such as him wanting to work with McIdiot unless he has absolutely no choice. I understand his ban doesnt stop him from going to England to coach so I would expect that’s where he will go now he has a definite date from the NRL. Besides I honestly couldn’t cope with another two years of McIdiot’s selections and inept game plans.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Flanno would be a very handy & valuable Assistant Coach to someone like Craig Fitzgibbon as a new Head Coach. Only problem being Dragons would be too gutless to make this decision and sack the Peanut.

Fitzgibbon?

Not a third consecutive rookie coach please.

Gareth67

First Grade
Good points there Gareth.

I see it this way: No-one would be really in the market for Flanagan, all clubs bar our seem to have their assistants pretty well tied down, even the new appointees at Newcastle and Titans have or have employed new assistants to help them.
So, back to the Dragons, with the rumours of Head and Hornby being moved on, with only Young appearing to be the keeper atm, this could play out 2 ways, assuming Flanagan gets the green light.

1. Flanagan is appointed assistant coach and coach of the CC team in place of Head. Young stays on as direct assistant to McTeflon.
2. Young is appointed CC coach and Flanagan straight assistant to McTeflon.

Personally, I think option 1 has more appeal to him making the commitment to come to the Dragons. At least this would keep his hands in coaching directly and give him a better feel for the "fringe" players.

Now, if McTeflon fails miserably early next season, then obviously Young steps into the caretaker roll until Flanno is cleared, with him obviously calling the shots from a distance.

The positive here is, and it may seem a dim light in the distance, is that if Flanno does come to the Dragons, in whatever capacity, this would be the final 2yrs max of McTeflon for certain.

Agree D.Slayer , I would much prefer your point 1 coming to fruition , a far better outcome for all , especially the C.C players and eventually the top grade .
Perhaps Gould may have just that in mind - should he actually become affiliated with the Dragons in a capacity other than the current review process .

Gippsy

Bench
I dunno. Our assistants apparently sacked. McGregor with 2 years left to run, Flanagan can only be an assistant for two years. It seems to be lining up.

The board can save face by keeping McGregor there, but we all know if Flanagan is there he will have a big input to the team. Let McGregor be the figure head, let Flanagan coach the side on assistants wages and sign him straight away to be head coach in 2022.

That's what I'd do anyway!!

Latest posts