What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack bird??

getsmarty

Immortal
You’re free to leave: Broncos give $800k Jack Bird permission to walk
The Brisbane bloodletting has begun with another massive big-money star set to be moved on from the club for 2020.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSSeptember 19, 20198:16pm
Under pressure Broncos to be moved on
8153d0abe0fc51a9ab69009b12807240

Embattled Brisbane has given their 2018 marquee signing Jack Bird permission to leave the club.

The Daily Telegraph first reported Bird’s management approached the Broncos asking for the permission to speak to rivals, and the Red Hill club granted it.

“It was Jack and his manager who approached us,” coach Anthony Seibold said.

“It’s a shame injuries have held him back.”

Bird won the 2016 grand final with Cronulla and made his State of Origin debut while at the Sharks, considered one of the game’s best young players.

Stream NRL Finals on KAYO SPORTS. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

But he was injured when he went north to Brisbane at the end of 2017 and has failed to find that form again at the Broncos.

Bird was in decent form earlier this year before another injury ended his 2019 campaign.

He was poached by Brisbane as a marquee player on $800,000 a year but the club is prepared to let him walk away to free up significant salary cap space.

The report claims the Bulldogs, Panthers, and Tigers are all in a position to try to lure him back to Sydney.

46a557812d58b2b06da6cf19bc9d621a

Jack Bird may not be long for Brisbane.Source:News Corp Australia

The Broncos have promised a wholesale review of the playing roster following an embarrassing 58-0 loss to Parramatta last week which ended their season.

But Immortal Andrew Johns is convinced one player must be in their 17 if the former glamour club wants to bounce back next year - Canberra playmaker Aidan Sezer.

Captain Darius Boyd and veteran hooker Andrew McCullough were reportedly told on Wednesday by coach Anthony Seibold that they are not in his round one plans for next year and have “lost the right to wear the jersey”.

Anthony Milford also appears at a crossroads after Broncos director Darren Lockyer put the $1 million-a-season fullback on notice amid rumours Brisbane would make a play for NFL hopeful and ex-Sharks flyer Valentine Holmes.

While plenty of team changes appear on the cards there seems to be no quick fix for Brisbane after their embarrassing 58-0 elimination final loss to Parramatta.

But rugby league Immortal Johns reckoned Brisbane could take the first step by signing a quality halfback - Sezer.

cdb329eb102eb21a76288aaefccd2a67

Could Aiden Sezer be the difference for Brisbane?Source:Getty Images

Teenager Tom Dearden is being groomed as Brisbane’s long term No.7 however Johns believed the Broncos must sign Sezer ASAP.

Sezer, 28, is not off contract at the Raiders until 2020 but Johns believed he may be tempted to leave if provided the right offer with English halfback George Williams vying for his position when he lobs in Canberra next year.

“If Brisbane have any nous, they’d be buying Aidan Sezer tomorrow,” he told Wide World of Sports.

Brisbane would no doubt welcome a world class halfback after battling to fill the No.7 jersey since the legendary Allan Langer retired in 2002.

Remarkably, the Broncos have used 22 halfbacks in the 17 seasons since Langer hung up his boots.

And overall they have had 47 halves combinations since winning the last of six titles in 2006.

with AAP

Originally published asBroncos’ $800k star asks to leave

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/y...k/news-story/119fcf5c2d826fe0a88b260614ccdf9f

Brutalitops

Juniors
I think he may be one of those sign and take the money players
I think this is way off. Bird tried very hard to make it work in Brisbane, before his unfortunate injury this season he was their best player, you could see the effort he put in especially compared to those around him. And he went hard in pre season too.

Last year he had a perfect opportunity to move on from Brisbane, with Bennett moving on, a season ending injury and reports he was told he could leave, but he stayed and put in work to regain shape and start 2019 very well. He would have likely played Origin this year. He's had horrible luck with injuries and his arthritis.

I would love him back at the Dragons if he could get his injuries sorted for a few years.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Within the next fortnight, I expect Bird will be linked to SGI. However, he is one of many who fled the club because of McIdiot,

I doubt he would want to come back (unless massive “overs” plays a part).

Crush

Coach
Mary wont be interested in Bird.
He has his team. Lafai and Aitken are due for contract extensions this year. Norman and Hunt are our halves.
Lomax is a good backup if Aitken gets injured (lafai doesnt get injured because he doesn't actually run)
What would Mary want with Bird?

possm

Coach
Remember that Jack Bird suffers badly from Rheumatoid Arthritis and has to have expensive injections to cope with the pain and inflammation that goes with the condition. These injections are very expensive and I would imagine he would need to live a disciplined lifestyle-very difficult for a young man with a high profile footy career.
With the money Jack is on these days, I'm sure he can afford to take care of his medical bills.

possm

Coach
What are you talking about? Lafai was out 6 weeks this year for an ankle injury, then rushed back before he was ready in a forlorn attempt by McGregor to rescue the season.
I would welcome a centre pairing of Lomax and Bird providing Mary is not the coach and we finally dropped Aitken and Lafai or got rid of them altogether.

hewi

Bench
I would welcome a centre pairing of Lomax and Bird providing Mary is not the coach and we finally dropped Aitken and Lafai or got rid of them altogether.

Man you crazy, Lafai and Aitken best centres in the competition it’s the wingers outside them that are no good. :joy::joy:

Crush

Coach
What are you talking about? Lafai was out 6 weeks this year for an ankle injury, then rushed back before he was ready in a forlorn attempt by McGregor to rescue the season.
He must have done that injury slipping on a banana peal at Coles because there is no way he gets injured playing football. He only owns 1 Jersey and its never been washed.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that Bird has peaked with the Sharks and that his best and injury free days have waned with the Broncos. We should look elsewhere for a quality gamebreaker who is a good team player.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Yes, our honour board of useless centres since the days of Gaz and Coops is long and distinguished.
and to think we have now been coached for 6 years by an Australian and NSW rep centre. If he can't get the centres to work at least then what hope the rest of the team. He is a useless waste who is playing a major role in the downfall of a once great club (and I do not mean Illawarra!).

On another note, if Flanagan was to be appointed coach and Bird wanted to play under him again then I would be inclined to take him on, but under the current destructive fool I wouldnt bother.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Very much the same as when we decided Mitch Rein was a better option for us than Damien Cook.
gawd our club has shown some very poor judgment over the past 8 years. Our backline is very ordinary yet we have passed on Bird, Herbert, Garrick and no doubt others - as well as the best hooker in NSW. No one seems to be accountable for this.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think this is way off. Bird tried very hard to make it work in Brisbane, before his unfortunate injury this season he was their best player, you could see the effort he put in especially compared to those around him. And he went hard in pre season too.

Last year he had a perfect opportunity to move on from Brisbane, with Bennett moving on, a season ending injury and reports he was told he could leave, but he stayed and put in work to regain shape and start 2019 very well. He would have likely played Origin this year. He's had horrible luck with injuries and his arthritis.

I would love him back at the Dragons if he could get his injuries sorted for a few years.

Unfortunately the way that I have worded my post was not as it should had been . My main concern was his arthritis and if it was having more of an effect upon the man then a few years ago .

That would basically make him a player whom would be in and out of football due to his illness . Not a value for money signing , but after reading your post I now realize that he was indeed putting in the effort in which case he could be well worth looking at .

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Within the next fortnight, I expect Bird will be linked to SGI. However, he is one of many who fled the club because of McIdiot,

I doubt he would want to come back (unless massive “overs” plays a part).

I heard he was told to look elsewhere because of asthma or something. Not because of McFlop

Latest posts