What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

possm

Coach
I know Denis look at the players you speak of are the best. It was just a line Frank Facer made about certain players coming to the Dragons to play like John Raper when playing for the blue bags.
Frank said how would you like to play with the Dragons, John goes along the line I’d love too, he signed the following season.
But Wests were called the Millionaires at that time in the early 60’s when we played them in 3 grand finals. I suppose they were trying to fight fire with fire.
Frank was a great CEO a player leaving or retiring with the Dragons he would go into the market place and find equal or a better player to continue the Dragons winning ways.
Let’s face it Denis right across footy at that time there were some very good footy players in all the teams just imagine what they would be worth today playing.
The Dragons always had a large number of juniors in their system many of whom made the first grade side. Yes there was a mix of juniors and imports but that is how it always should be. Whether junior or import, selection to first grade should be based on form and talent - not favouritism, no because he is a local junior and not because he was signed at a high price or is contracted long term.

possm

Coach
You have to admire Mcgregor, he is arguably the worst coach in Dragon's history and yet has become the longest serving Dragons coach in the modern era. Then when he is in danger of losing his job he comes up with calling in his mate to do the season's review. The politicians in Canberra have got nothing on him.
Backroom deals are the only reason Mary, Millward, Dean Young and some others keep their cosy positions at SGI. You can throw in BJ and Craig Young in there as well. Just take a look and you will see why our club is performing so poorly on and off the field:
  1. Mary - one of the worst performing Dragon coaches in the club's history. No way can anyone justify his early season extension.
  2. Millward - Providing the team with one of the worst performing backlines in the competition and yet there is still talk of being under salary cap pressure.
  3. Dean Young - although our defensive record is one of the worst in the competition and he is our forwards and defence coach, he is retained as reserve grade coach.
  4. Brian Johnston our CEO - heads off a committee to select the replacement for Doust as CEO, makes way for Gordon to be chairman of the Board only to appoint himself as CEO.
  5. Craig Young - although failing in nearly every off field job he has been given at the club, manages to somehow be appointed as a Board member.
  6. To top it all off, after a long and protracted negotiation period the Board endorses a lower bid from WIN to be its partner. Even though this bid was clearly much more valuable to Illawarra and WIN than it was to SGI by about 6m. A coincidence that key appointments and recent decisions made by the Board directly after this agreement all favour power brokers with the club and clearly are not in the best interest of SGI.

Dorsai

Juniors
Saw Gould’s latest comment in the media today about his review for his mate McIdiot.

He actually states he is doing it for free as a favour for McIdiot to ensure his views on the club are correct.

Those expecting anything from this review to help move McIdiot on should now rest easy. It will not happen. The board obviously can’t read otherwise they might catch onto McIdiot’s master plan to shift the blame to everyone else. Situation normal.

Gotta love this stupidity.

BLM01

First Grade
Backroom deals are the only reason Mary, Millward, Dean Young and some others keep their cosy positions at SGI. You can throw in BJ and Craig Young in there as well. Just take a look and you will see why our club is performing so poorly on and off the field:
  1. Mary - one of the worst performing Dragon coaches in the club's history. No way can anyone justify his early season extension.
  2. Millward - Providing the team with one of the worst performing backlines in the competition and yet there is still talk of being under salary cap pressure.
  3. Dean Young - although our defensive record is one of the worst in the competition and he is our forwards and defence coach, he is retained as reserve grade coach.
  4. Brian Johnston our CEO - heads off a committee to select the replacement for Doust as CEO, makes way for Gordon to be chairman of the Board only to appoint himself as CEO.
  5. Craig Young - although failing in nearly every off field job he has been given at the club, manages to somehow be appointed as a Board member.
  6. To top it all off, after a long and protracted negotiation period the Board endorses a lower bid from WIN to be its partner. Even though this bid was clearly much more valuable to Illawarra and WIN than it was to SGI by about 6m. A coincidence that key appointments and recent decisions made by the Board directly after this agreement all favour power brokers with the club and clearly are not in the best interest of SGI.
re Point 3. Where is it written he will be our reggies coach going forward into 2020?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Saw Gould’s latest comment in the media today about his review for his mate McIdiot.

He actually states he is doing it for free as a favour for McIdiot to ensure his views on the club are correct.

Those expecting anything from this review to help move McIdiot on should now rest easy. It will not happen. The board obviously can’t read otherwise they might catch onto McIdiot’s master plan to shift the blame to everyone else. Situation normal.

Gotta love this stupidity.
Its intersating Gould say free and a favour wheereas Johnston indicated he was hired as an external consultant which suggests he was paid. The BS continues.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am sure if they hired any one of us to do a review we would have done it for free. It would take me 5 mins. Pretty sure if they sack Mary and every part of the club will improve that is sales, membership, performance etc. Keep Mary and most of those will defiantly not improve. Too easy. You don't need to be a high profile NRL media buff to see this. All you need is anyone bar Mary;s mate but unfortunately they went for Mary's mate.

TruSaint

Referee
I don't think that Gould has been offered a job. If he has its news to him, as he was quoted as saying that his assistance to Saints was an unpaid favour for a mate.

I have said many times in this forum that i see his next step being at the NRL. Have believed so ever he left Penrith. Now Saints, with a limited budget may offer him a role as come obscure consultant, which would be part time and very little direct impact.

He is even quoted as suggesting he would take on a role at NRL and bring along his crew.

from sporting news site today... ( under league tab ).

Phil Gould would help fix the NRL 'for nothing' as legends call for former Panthers boss to step in

Before leaving his post earlier this season, Gould took over the football operations at the Panthers in 2011, where he completely transformed the club's dire financial state, and reconfigured its grassroots and development systems.

Gould declared he would happily step in alongside Todd Greenberg to help do a similar job and resolve some of the NRL's key issues.

"I'd do it for nothing," the former coaching great said.

"I should just go down there and wait on the doorsteps.

"I'm prepared to do it for nothing. And I'd bring half a dozen good people with me."

Since leaving his post at Panthers in April, Gould has reportedly been courted by a number of clubs.

Gould was recently assigned by the St. George Illawarra Dragons to conduct a review of its football operations, after the most disappointing season in the club's history as a joint venture.

He told 100% Footy his role at the Dragons was simply a favour for coach paul McGregor, a man he coached during his days with New South Wales.

"I'm doing Paul McGregor a favour, he asked me a couple of weeks ago," he said.

"Paul just wants an outside set of eyes and ears over his review process that he has at the end of every season.

"It's not even a paid job, I'm just doing it as a favour for an old player of mine."[

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
The Dragons always had a large number of juniors in their system many of whom made the first grade side. Yes there was a mix of juniors and imports but that is how it always should be. Whether junior or import, selection to first grade should be based on form and talent - not favouritism, no because he is a local junior and not because he was signed at a high price or is contracted long term.
Well said Poss

RedVDragon

Juniors
The review is no complete. Confirmed so where are the findings and plans to address this unacceptable season and past season

SaintPauli

Juniors
It really proves loyalty don't often = talent. Definetly at the dragons.

Angela Smith

Juniors
Brisbane make the 8 and has a bad game - time for a review with potentially heads to roll.. Press are all over it..

Dragons come second last, won 2 games by 1 point so could have finished last. Review time... Lets call my best mate Phil Gould.. Nothing being mentioned in the press so they are hoping we will all calm down or go away so Mary can continue his sh*t job... So so frustrating..

hazzbeen

Bench
Brisbane make the 8 and has a bad game - time for a review with potentially heads to roll.. Press are all over it..

Dragons come second last, won 2 games by 1 point so could have finished last. Review time... Lets call my best mate Phil Gould.. Nothing being mentioned in the press so they are hoping we will all calm down or go away so Mary can continue his sh*t job... So so frustrating..
Exactly this ..... The way its going we won't be around much longer if nothing doesn't change quickly not just with the coach going , All structures within the management and football side have to change ...

BLM01

First Grade

How could we have finished last when we beat the titans by 4 games + 2-3 games worth of F & A.
But you are right....the coach, recruitment, culture and finishing 15th is frustrating...and needs to change

denis preston

First Grade
Still trying to be positive with "no news is good news " The Board simply have to make some sort of announcement regarding the review.The longer they take may suggest that moves are in place that will take time and confirmation that personnel changes contracted in.

Or it could be the Board laying low and waiting for the issue to be forgotten !

possm

Coach
I'd say the Board won't be saying a thing about this review. I am sure they have already told our CEO what to say and the timing of that announcement is up to Johnston.

sco22

Juniors
Exactly this ..... The way its going we won't be around much longer if nothing doesn't change quickly not just with the coach going , All structures within the management and football side have to change ...
How true Hazza maybe that’s what the NRL and media want only if some of us were on the inside to actually see what is going on

mickeylane

Bench
I believe there are going to be some massive changes put into place so don't expect any answers too quickly.

I think the changes could look like this to protect Mcgregor as much as possible which is ludicrous but I think Parras feats this year of coming from last to prelim semis will excite the board that a huge comeback is achievable especially as they believe they have the cattle to make this happen (albeit missing 2-3 classy backs) .

Football Director (Gus Gould or Similar to manage the football operations)
Senior Ass Coach (Furner,Flanagan,Brown etc...)
Appointment of new Attacking and Defensive coaches
Young potentially Moved to Coach CC so no longer defensive coach..
Millward stays as is..
Mcgregor given a performance KPI for start of next season w Ass Coach being the safety net if needed.

This is what I think will eventuate..w

Latest posts