What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Saint or sinner

Juniors
Brent read on mmm rush hour said that the dragons and MARY have spoken to flan no about a possible asst coach job after phil Gould recommended that he has a more expirenced assistant..

ViceVersa

Juniors
Shane Flanagan won’t be allowed to take a head coach role until 2022

Michael Carayannis and Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
September 20, 2019 1:10pm

Shane Flanagan’s return as an NRL head coach won’t happen until at least the 2022 season.

But the Cronulla Sutherland premiership-winning coach will be allowed to return to the game as an assistant coach in December.

It is understood Flanagan will need to spend two seasons — 2020 and 2021 — as an assistant coach before he is given the green light to resume a head coaching role.

The Australian Rugby League Commission met on Thursday and part of the discussion centred around Flanagan’s future.

The NRL on Friday announced Flanagan would will be eligible for registration as an assistant coach for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

“I have spoken to Shane at length and he has expressed significant remorse andaccepted responsibility for his past actions and the detrimental impact they have had on the game,’’ NRL boss Todd Greenberg said.

“We have created a pathway for Shane to return to the coaching ranks. Today’s decision gives Shane an opportunity to be registered in the NRL.

“This is not a set and forget approach. Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the Integrity Unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons.”

Flanagan has been linked with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

In December, Flanagan will have been sidelined from the game for 12 months.

But there will be strict conditions put on Flanagan to ensure he does not overstep the boundaries of an assistant coach and puts time into junior rugby league — something he did during his time at the Sharks.

“Today I met with the NRL and I both respect and accept the course of action they have taken,’’ Flanagan said.

“I look forward to returning to the coaching ranks, firstly as an assistant coach and hopefully one day a head coach again.”

Flanagan was banned from the NRL indefinitely after a salary cap audit of Cronulla found the coach breached the terms of his year-long suspension in 2014.

He recently wrote a 10-page apology letter to Greenberg and the commissioners.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...2/news-story/dd0fc1842b87665d64f993bcf4531024

Dragons 09

Juniors
Seems strange if true.

Why would you appoint an assistant who can't take on the top gig for 2 years and then set KPI's for McGregor to meet or he will be moved on? Who the f**k takes over the big gig if McGregor did get the ass after a dismal start to 2020?

We are probably incompetent enough at board level to allow this to occur. If i was a sceptic, i might think things were being strategically arranged for a "come on down Dean Young" moment.

FlameThrower

Bench
Surely we are now clutching at straws ... and this crazy idea of Flanno as assistant coach with Mary calling the shots...how will that work.?
I’m so disappointed with our Club, that we have let this get to rock bottom and yet they fail to see the root cause of the problem.
The BOD is inept and not capable to make the required tough calls. I don’t know what they are waiting for...2nd last this year, major losses, record loses and a team on paper that should be in the finals this week. Terrible crowd numbers, terrible stats on the field and a disgruntled fan base ....yet they avoid and ignore the facts.
You tell me how this ad up to Business as Usual back at the Dragons,,,,!!

TruSaint

Referee
Posted this in another thread.

So we are willing to have another 2 years of Mary so as to satisfy Flanno...?

No thanks.

If Flanno does come as assistant ( big if ), whats to say after 2 years of working in the shite system we have, dealing with the likes of Mary, he pisses off to the first available head coaching role, and there will be plenty.

If Mary fails next year and he will, what happens? Flanno cant take charge, so another novice comes in ? Its 2 more years of Mary 0r equivalent.

TruSaint

Referee
Flanno has already had 2 strikes with the NRL, and to quote Greenberg, on the NRL site.

"This is not a set and forget approach. Shane and any future club who employs him has numerous conditions which they must comply with and the Integrity Unit will continue to monitor his conduct over the next two seasons."

If he does come, he will buy his time and make a decent living. Impact will be minimal.

Depending on who you believe Mary is on between 600-800k, and Flanno as assistant will probably earn half of that. That's over 1 million per year for the collective. To still have Mary in charge.

I thought we couldn't pay Mary out, or use the dispensation of 300k for JDB that the NRL gave us, yet we can afford to add Flanno's salaries to a our coaching bills? Doesn't stack up to me and I doubt it will happen. Time will tell.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I don't want Flanno at all to be honest but it seems very coincidental that he is given the exact probation length as Mary's contract. I feel the board will see this as the perfect solution to guaranteeing they won't have to pay out Mary while at the same time taking a slight edge off us rabid saints supporters.
I don't like the idea at all. Flanno won the GF with a ridiculously stacked team remember. Fifita, Ennis, Maloney, Gallen, Val Holmes and the list goes on. He won't get away with salary cap cheating with us, the NRL hates the Dragons.

possm

Coach
There is a simple soluton:
Sack coaches Mary and Young
Retain Head in CC for another two years
Sign Brown and Flanagan as head coach and assistant on a two year deal
Sack Millward. Flanigan can assist Brown with recruitment/pathways as well.
Coaching problems and junior transition problems solved for two years.
Maybe Craig Young will spit the dummy and so we get rid of 5 of the Illawarra trouble makers; Mary, the Youngs and the Millwards.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Sack Millward, Flanigan can assist Brown with recruitment/pathways as well.
Maybe Craig Young will spit the dummy and so we get rid of 5 of the Illawarra trouble makers; Mary, the Youngs and the Millwards.
There is only 1 Millward left in the joint..Ian's dad left a couple of years ago
The rest of your stuff I agree with except no to Brown as head coach.

BLM01

First Grade
Posted this in another thread.

So we are willing to have another 2 years of Mary so as to satisfy Flanno...?

No thanks.

If Flanno does come as assistant ( big if ), whats to say after 2 years of working in the shite system we have, dealing with the likes of Mary, he pisses off to the first available head coaching role, and there will be plenty.

If Mary fails next year and he will, what happens? Flanno cant take charge, so another novice comes in ? Its 2 more years of Mary 0r equivalent.

TS..I think you will find it is more than a 50/50 bet now that he will be announced and it is not a good outcome for Mary and I hoping what I am told will prove correct..so far so good. Mary is a gooonneeerr...but when?
Someone said it before..Gus's review basically was easy, you need someone with experience beside you....or...the hole just gets deeper
But....the club is stuck in the hole as well...and will not pay him out.
So....He either walks or stays in the format forced upon him.
Flanno may be assistant by title and by contract...an assistant with quite a long job description and we all know who will do the coaching anyway and how would anyone prove it.
We just have to listen to Mary's press conferences where he will blame Flanno for the losses and dob him in to the NRL by saying. "It is not me...Flanno is doing the coaching'. That could be a problem ;)
If he fails next year they will release him after 2020 anyway me thinks and bring a caretaker in for him. If he walks same same
Flanno will apply for coach from 2022 and if he likes what he sees he will be starting now to get a handle on the squad he wants with recruitment
That is how i see this all panning out.

If Flanno signs tomorrow as a Roosters assistant...well..I am wrong.

Bench
Sack Millward, Flanigan can assist Brown with recruitment/pathways as well.
I like that scenario, could work for us if we can’t get a decent coach

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think Flanagan coming to the Dragons is near enough to a sure thing.

Who else needs an assistant coach and would employ him on so many (reported) restrictions? Sharks need an assistant but I think his time is done there and the rumour is Brown will be the most likely. Roosters? they already have an assistant in Fitzgibbon (who just signed a 3yr extension), and yes, they are losing an assistant but I think they will promote from within to fill that role.

I also found this statement to be interesting - But there will be strict conditions put on Flanagan to ensure he does not overstep the boundaries of an assistant coach and puts time into junior rugby league. The question here is where does junior RL have its boundary, is it SG Ball, HM, JF or even CC?

Brent read on mmm rush hour said that the dragons and MARY have spoken to flan no about a possible asst coach job after phil Gould recommended that he has a more expirenced assistant..
If Flanagan shows too much initiative, Mary will find a way to get him turfed.
Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that the NRL conveniently gave Flanagan a 2 year assistant's gig before he can coach FG in his own right?
That happens to coincide with Mary's contract extension.
Too much of a coincidence as far as I'm concerned.
NRL trying to take the heat off Johnston and the focus off the McGregor.
All these actions including the "pro bono" Gould review solely perpetrated to soothe the outrage of the St. George fans.
What an insult to our intelligence.
McGregor should have been sacked long ago and here's a simple question for Johnston.
"If you could have looked into a crystal ball and seen the result of 2019 season, would you still have extended McGregor?"

Latest posts