What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Matterson and bird:

“If the Titans don't come to the negotiating table, Parramatta are watching the Matterson situation with keen interest despite coach Brad Arthur and the rising star falling out when he was last at the club.

The Eels are also set to enter the race for another star looking for a new football home in Jack Bird.

Bird approached the Broncos requesting permission to negotiate with rival clubs - which has since been granted - and is now on the radar of several Sydney clubs.

Bird returned to the form which earned him his $800,000 price tag prior to injuring his ACL this season in Brisbane's centres but the Herald has been told the Eels view him as a back rower.

Parramatta continue to eye marquee forwards, having been raised as potential homes for several stars who are entering the free agent market in the next 12 months.“

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tigers-prepare-for-life-without-matterson-20190920-p52tdu.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Matterson and bird:

“If the Titans don't come to the negotiating table, Parramatta are watching the Matterson situation with keen interest despite coach Brad Arthur and the rising star falling out when he was last at the club.

The Eels are also set to enter the race for another star looking for a new football home in Jack Bird.

Bird approached the Broncos requesting permission to negotiate with rival clubs - which has since been granted - and is now on the radar of several Sydney clubs.

Bird returned to the form which earned him his $800,000 price tag prior to injuring his ACL this season in Brisbane's centres but the Herald has been told the Eels view him as a back rower.

Parramatta continue to eye marquee forwards, having been raised as potential homes for several stars who are entering the free agent market in the next 12 months.“

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tigers-prepare-for-life-without-matterson-20190920-p52tdu.html

If Matterson is just being a mercenary like the media are alluding to, then f**k him. He is on $350K and reckons he is worth more if you believe the reports. I like him but not $500K worth of like. I'd go $400 or so.

Bird is broken and currently on $800K so Donkeys would have to pay half his freight for mine. He's a utility back which is not really a priority for us compared to the need to replace Tep which Matterson would do nicley.

Surprised to see us linked to Bird.

Yep. I’m getting the feeling that other clubs are more desperate than us, so any player that we sign will not come for huge coin, they will come for a solid $contract$ and moreso opportunity. Go us.
i remember back when we were the ones paying overs for plodders while the bright prospects went elsewhere for less

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
If Matterson is just being a mercenary like the media are alluding to, then f**k him. He is on $350K and reckons he is worth more if you believe the reports. I like him but not $500K worth of like. I'd go $400 or so.

Bird is broken and currently on $800K so Donkeys would have to pay half his freight for mine. He's a utility back which is not really a priority for us compared to the need to replace Tep which Matterson would do nicley.

Bird wouId be looked at as an edge forward, it was mentioned in the article.

Happy MEel

First Grade

But we do need to replace Mau (and to a lesser extent, Tep). We are an edge forward short at the moment and it would be good to have at least our starting 17 locked in ASAP so they can get a full preseason in with us. I rate Matto higher than Bird and I reckon he’d cost less. If he continued to play like he did this season he’d be worth $500k IMO.

Happy MEel

First Grade
And provided that he passes his medical, could very well be a Victor Radley, Cameron Murray type of lightweight mobile and very skillful back rower.
Except both of those guys play predominantly in the middle. They may spend some time on the edge if required but their lack of height would be trouble against most edge forwards in the comp if they played there on a permanent basis. Bird is a bit taller though and I reckon we’d be hoping he becomes a wade graham type edge forward.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I hope some other club is way more desperate then us for Jack Bird. I'm afraid his best days may be past him and the gamble on him is to great to take.

If we want to take a gamble I would be offering someone like Moses Suli a contract. But not for now, since we have both Blake and particularly Jennings on our books for the next two years.

I believe Suli is on a 3 year deal worth around a $1m. It would be ending just as Jennings is finishing up. If Suli is still playing like he is now or better, he would be the type we should be working towards signing.

Or any other hotshot centre that would be available at that time. You never know young Bronson Xerri maybe an option by that stage if the sharks are a crap team by then and Parra is a powerhouse that looks very attractive. But that would be my strategy from here on in. We have a very good team now, so as other players become available, that we could use to replace current Parra players that are either retiring or we want to improve on, pounce on the best available from teams that are struggling in particular. Like we have been with the Panthers and Tigers recently.

Our recruitment strategy has be awesome the last 2 years now. More of the same please. But this Bird thing if true is not the direction I would be going in at all. To high risk for mine. Also another option could be looking at the best centres coming through in the juniors that sure would be under lock and key with their current clubs, but I am thinking for 3 years from now. I am referring to a Xerri or Latrell Mitchell type and take a gamble on that type of player. One that ticks all the boxes and is a real standout.

We have 2-3 years to get it right and make an offer the potential player can't refuse.

Gronk

Staff member
I hope some other club is way more desperate then us for Jack Bird. I'm afraid his best days may be past him and the gamble on him is to great to take.

If we want to take a gamble I would be offering someone like Moses Suli a contract. But not for now, since we have both Blake and particularly Jennings on our books for the next two years.

I believe Suli is on a 3 year deal worth around a $1m. It would be ending just as Jennings is finishing up. If Suli is still playing like he is now or better, he would be the type we should be working towards signing.

Or any other hotshot centre that would be available at that time. You never know young Bronson Xerri maybe an option by that stage if the sharks are a crap team by then and Parra is a powerhouse that looks very attractive. But that would be my strategy from here on in. We have a very good team now, so as other players become available, that we could use to replace current Parra players that are either retiring or we want to improve on, pounce on the best available from teams that are struggling in particular. Like we have been with the Panthers and Tigers recently.

Our recruitment strategy has be awesome the last 2 years now. More of the same please. But this Bird thing if true is not the direction I would be going in at all. To high risk for mine. Also another option could be looking at the best centres coming through in the juniors that sure would be under lock and key with their current clubs, but I am thinking for 3 years from now. I am referring to a Xerri or Latrell Mitchell type and take a gamble on that type of player. One that ticks all the boxes and is a real standout.

We have 2-3 years to get it right and make an offer the potential player can't refuse.
It’s very easy to target the young form players, but the chances off Suli or Xeri ever being on the market are really zero. Even if they do decide to “test the market” our club will rightly not pay overs for either of them. You see a lot of hype around some kids these days (Zac Lomax), but sometimes all that glitters is not gold.

TheRam

Coach
It’s very easy to target the young form players, but the chances off Suli or Xeri ever being on the market are really zero. Even if they do decide to “test the market” our club will rightly not pay overs for either of them. You see a lot of hype around some kids these days (Zac Lomax), but sometimes all that glitters is not gold.

I agree with this to some extent. But you can talk to any player at any stage under the rules of the NRL as long as you don't formally offer him a contract before the 1st of Nov(or is it the 31st, I don't remember?) one year out from the final year of their current contract.

That gives you all the time in the world to show plenty of love and interest to any player under contract that may be open to offers way before they recommit with their current clubs. So if you are a well run club with a strong current football roster have a powerful leagues club, have what will probably be the best COE in the State and have the best Stadium and the best fan support, how hard is it to convince a young star to jump ship?

Sure wont get everybody, that's for sure, but there will be takers, that is also for sure. The point is we now have the luxury of having time on our hands and the clout to impress even the most difficult to impress. As an example, centre is a position we should be planing for right now to fill for 2022 when Jennings retires. There is very little excuse in getting it wrong. We should be always looking at grooming the best and all players love when a club, but in particular a head coach takes personal interest in them. That is the key for many players, that personal attention and bond from a coach and a clear massage on how to play. Add all the other great attractions our club has and we make a very persuasive argument for almost any player.

Bazal

Post Whore

Suli might be.

Fat heap he is. Just cos Dessie has grilled him like a cheese sandwich for a year or two doesn't mean he's a star. The bloke was merkined by every other club he ever played for with good reason

Latest posts