What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty count

mattyg

Bench
Does anybody have any stats on penalties for and against this year?? Even better if it’s broken down by ref.

Need it for an argument.

Cockosh

Juniors
For Against Diff
Souths 190 150 +40
Raiders 186 184 +2
Storm 177 169 +8
Titans 174 161 +13
Manly 172 187 -15
Eels 171 141 +30
Knights 169 177 -8
Panthers 166 189 -23
Cowboys 162 138 +24
Warriors 157 155 +2
Roosters 151 177 -26
Sharks 148 163 -25
Broncos 141 148 -7
Tigers 139 140 -1
Dogs 133 159 -26
Dragons 131 139 -8

SDM

First Grade
Based on those stats I look forward to referees Cummings and Smith awarding more penalties to Parra tonight. :confused:

Saxon

Bench
For Against Diff
Souths 190 150 +40
Raiders 186 184 +2
Storm 177 169 +8
Titans 174 161 +13
Manly 172 187 -15
Eels 171 141 +30
Knights 169 177 -8
Panthers 166 189 -23
Cowboys 162 138 +24
Warriors 157 155 +2
Roosters 151 177 -26
Sharks 148 163 -25
Broncos 141 148 -7
Tigers 139 140 -1
Dogs 133 159 -26
Dragons 131 139 -8
Just making a random connection here

Springs09

Juniors
I think it might be time to remove the kick for touch or something like that - penalties determine way too much of the game.

Yeah you're right. Breaking the rules of the game should be punished as little as possible.

lazza

Juniors
Yeah you're right. Breaking the rules of the game should be punished as little as possible.
The problem is people want low penalty counts or even more crazy an even penalty count - why the hell is hasler bagging out the 9-3 penalty count. When there are 300 tackles made per team and Anywhere between 5-30 penalties given, there is a lot of discretion made by the refs. Not saying that removing the kick for touch is the answer but it might be considered.

Last Week

Bench
These stats aren't a true reflection of the impact penalties have.

Teams that give away penalties on purpose on the try line, referees squaring up the penalty count (we all know it happens), etc.

Also, a penalty on the 5th tackle is more detrimental than on the 1st.

Can't really record a stat for momentum changing penalties.

Galeforce

Bench
The refs could find a penalty in every. single. tackle...... if they wanted to.

This is the problem. Inconsistency.

Sometimes they choose to penalise, other times they don't.
All depends on who you play for, and what your last name is.

Lol whenever I see folks state that Souths are being favoured by penalties.
Penalty count just refers to team discipline , that is all you take out of it.

Take yesterdays game----penalty count was 5-3 Souths favour in first half, included 1 penalty to Souths for head push on Douiehe and in same play , Walker is sent off for 10 minutes.

As for the second half , Souths 4 penalties to nil..........wow could that have been a conspiracy to help Souths win? well consider each penalty

penalty 1 - Roberts tripped when he had a chance to get ball and score. Should have been a penalty try for mine.No one can argue the penalty

penalty 2 - Gagai jersey grabbed , interfered .........resulted in Jake sin binned. Even Des agrees with penalty

penalty 3 - Roberts on his line goes high to catch ball , tackled in the air. Clear penalty, no-one can argue

penalty 4 - Manly have goal line kick and exceed time limit , automatic penalty.

Wow where are the merkins who argue Souths were favoured again in the second half penalty count. No favours except from Manly's discipline.

mave

Coach
Lol whenever I see folks state that Souths are being favoured by penalties.
Penalty count just refers to team discipline , that is all you take out of it.

Take yesterdays game----penalty count was 5-3 Souths favour in first half, included 1 penalty to Souths for head push on Douiehe and in same play , Walker is sent off for 10 minutes.

As for the second half , Souths 4 penalties to nil..........wow could that have been a conspiracy to help Souths win? well consider each penalty

penalty 1 - Roberts tripped when he had a chance to get ball and score. Should have been a penalty try for mine.No one can argue the penalty

penalty 2 - Gagai jersey grabbed , interfered .........resulted in Jake sin binned. Even Des agrees with penalty

penalty 3 - Roberts on his line goes high to catch ball , tackled in the air. Clear penalty, no-one can argue

penalty 4 - Manly have goal line kick and exceed time limit , automatic penalty.

Wow where are the merkins who argue Souths were favoured again in the second half penalty count. No favours except from Manly's discipline.

Im not arguing any penalties. Each penalty South's received was warranted as a penalty.

Like I said, refs could find a penalty in every single tackle if they wanted to.

For 60 minutes last night, they chose not to find any for Manly, just like the last time these two sides played each other.

I'm seeing a pattern. Are you ?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Id be most interested in a table of discretionary penalties. Some have to be given I.e kick off out on the full, picking up a ball in an offside position, shoulder charge etc

A stat of penalties given in the ruck, inside the 10m etc would be the best table

For instance Souths 3 tries in the first half all came from random ruck/10m penalties that seemed the same as 100 other tackles during the game. The one just before halftime was particularly purplexing. These random ones that seem to get pulled out of nowhere often come at opportune times for certain teams

lazza

Juniors
And also don’t forget the no calls too, they’re just as important as is the surrender calls. Sometimes surrender is called and the legs are still pumping!

Springs09

Juniors

Yeah, that must be the reason...

The reason they have to choose to penalise some and let some go is the bitch bitch bitch we hear from everyone when there's too many penalties and 'durrr need to let the game flow, refs don't have feel for game, put whistle away'

lazza

Juniors

And the other problem too is that if you don’t hold down the play the ball yet the ref allows the other team to hold down, then you’re at a disadvantage.

lazza

Juniors
So hold them down, how is that a problem?
Because of the randomness of when a ref will blow the penalty - sorta like playing Russian roulette - you all know you’re breaking the rules, but at some stage someone has to cop the penalty

Springs09

Juniors
Because of the randomness of when a ref will blow the penalty - sorta like playing Russian roulette - you all know you’re breaking the rules, but at some stage someone has to cop the penalty

Holding down is not breaking the rules. Refs blow penalties when they tell players to get off and the players take too long. Of course it is inconsistent because that's the nature of the rule - there is never going to be any 100% perfect black and white rule when the ref controls the speed of the ruck. There are way too many variables. We tried to clean it up a bit last year, penalising a lot more for holding down and punishing deliberate penalties, but what happened? Everyone whinged because let game flow

SBD82

Coach
Holding down is not breaking the rules. Refs blow penalties when they tell players to get off and the players take too long. Of course it is inconsistent because that's the nature of the rule - there is never going to be any 100% perfect black and white rule when the ref controls the speed of the ruck. There are way too many variables. We tried to clean it up a bit last year, penalising a lot more for holding down and punishing deliberate penalties, but what happened? Everyone whinged because let game flow
To be fair, I didn’t hear everyone whinge.

The people I heard whinge most were the commentators, who were continually saying that all of the fans wanted the penalties relaxed.

Weird thing was, I don’t think that was the consensus from the fans at all.