What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This same thing has been posted on this forum for the past 10+ years and no one ever backs it up with any data. Facts are that storm games continue to rate highly and I believe the highest rating finals game this week involved the storm. This idea that everyone is tuning out because they don’t want to watch the storm is demonstrably BS.

Good points! Plus their extended run of dominance has increased the visibility, membership, attendances and TV ratings of RL in Melbourne. Let's not forget that pre 2005, despite already having won one premiership, the Storm were relatively unknown and ignored in Melbourne with their games appearing at midnight at best on channel 9. What they have done to grow the game outside of the traditional heartlands can't be understated and is very timely considering the AFL's increased presence in traditional NRL areas.

Slater1

Juniors
I think tonight will be an interesting crowd size for the Melbourne Storm-- having 85-90k across the road @ the MCG will make it difficult (as all car parking is already full & PT will be chaotic with Storm starting around the same time as Pies/Giants finishing), Melbourne's weather has turned in the past 24 hours-- but it hasn't rained quite as much as expected.

It appears that the two end zones are either sold out (or close to) as they are now selling some of the Cat 2 areas for Cat 3 prices. Could see today being around 23-24k; but not as big a crowd as some of our other prelims in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stallion

First Grade
BTW. Their is certainly not even 70000 @ the MCG today? It's wet and they are hosting a club with near to no.fans. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slater1

Juniors
Weather is well and truly shyte here in Melbounre, will be next to no walk ups.

Where are you SLR Broncos?

I'm currently in Richmond before the game and the weather isn't anywhere near as bad as forecasted. The occasional shower, but no worse than average for a Melbourne winter.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Where are you SLR Broncos?

I'm currently in Richmond before the game and the weather isn't anywhere near as bad as forecasted. The occasional shower, but no worse than average for a Melbourne winter.

I'm in Williamstown and its been steadily raining, albeit lightly here since about 3:45pm - looks like its on the way over to you now. The weather was so much better around midday, I suppose I am comparing to a Brisbane and even Sydney winter..!

The Great Dane

First Grade
They should totally get some temporary seating in.
I saw some articles early in the week suggesting they were trying to get approval for temporary seating, but then never heard anything else and ticketek released the map with no suggestion of it. I hope something can be organised.
The Raiders selling out 30k seats wouldn't be ideal for Andrew Barr and Labour's agenda, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for them to put in the temporary seating if I was you.

DIOGENES

Juniors
This sort of Stallion vs Rest of World nit-picking really destroys some of these threads,
Sometimes its good to not get in the last word - other readers have respect for the person who shuts down this shit

Slater1

Juniors
So crowds, eh??

The weather looks like it’s scared more people away than I thought. Looks like less than 18k at the moment from where I’m sitting.

Stallion

First Grade
This sort of Stallion vs Rest of World nit-picking really destroys some of these threads,
Sometimes its good to not get in the last word - other readers have respect for the person who shuts down this shit

Whats been missed is that some don't start it in the first place. Will leave that to others to work out.
Crowd has been impacted by very wet weather ! Mid 20 thousands would be a good figure.

Stallion

First Grade
Same hear as the Storm are great for Melbourne but not for Sydney finals.

Agree. Although the tv audience will be massive on both nights next weekend. Think the Roosters v MELBOURNE final will be a very close match. A true final of top performing teams. It will be a real tussle. Winner to face ? (my tip Canberra Raiders) Raiders v South Sydney will be a sellout. (hopefully a record crowd for that stadium ) Easts v Melbourne can push 40000 if promoted & marketed well.

T-Boon

Coach

Agreed. People tend to have a lot of respect for me and they way I contribute. I post my ideas, then defend them against all comers then win the debate handily all the time. But I don’t rub it in the losers face much.