What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
DT reporting Sivo has rejected our 3 year $ deal and will go to the open market on Nov 1. Union interested as well. Apparently another Sydney club has priced him at $600k a season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...o/news-story/d8b7838400e7f3ecc972e0fdbf9314e6

If this is true, I reckon its more to do with his agent getting in his ear saying your worth a fortune on the open market so you can line my pockets

Sivo doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke that would hold us to ransom like that

Eelementary

Post Whore
If this is true, I reckon its more to do with his agent getting in his ear saying your worth a fortune on the open market so you can line my pockets

Sivo doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke that would hold us to ransom like that

I would agree - but the game he played last night came across as that of a bloke with something weighing on his mind.

He was absolutely terrible.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree - but the game he played last night came across as that of a bloke with something weighing on his mind.

.yeh true but wont stop his agent from pointing at the Ken Irvine medal when negotiating a deal

I could be wrong as I don know the details, its just my take on it influenced by my opinion on the bottom feeders they call agents

Eelementary

Post Whore
.yeh true but wont stop his agent from pointing at the Ken Irvine medal when negotiating a deal

I could be wrong as I don know the details, its just my take on it influenced by my opinion on the bottom feeders they call agents

I agree - Sivo comes across as a man with genuine humility, and I think his agent may have distracted him by getting in his ear.

I don't have any inside info or anything, but I am confident he will remain an Eel.

emjaycee

Coach

Possibly it was simply nerves. Look where he has come from in such a short period of time... Fiji village to NRL big time with the expectations of a maniac fan base on his shoulders via country football in 3 yrs.

Not blaming him for feeling the pressure TBH.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Possibly it was simply nerves. Look where he has come from in such a short period of time... Fiji village to NRL big time with the expectations of a maniac fan base on his shoulders via country football in 3 yrs.

Once put on report he seemed very hesitant. Given his inexperience thats totally understandable.
Fergo is nothing like the Fergo that played Origin. His determination to play post his illness is a credit to him.
Both will be better next year. I just hope they work on Sivos speed and confidence. Both need attention.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Not at all - and it was simply smart tactics from Melbourne to target Sivo, rather than Fergo.

I am sure Sivo will stay.

And as painful as last night's loss was, our core, key players - Sivo, Mahoney, DylBro, Moses, Gutho - would all have gained invaluable experience yesterday.

Short-term pain, for long-term gain.

IFR33K

Coach
Not at all - and it was simply smart tactics from Melbourne to target Sivo, rather than Fergo.

I am sure Sivo will stay.

And as painful as last night's loss was, our core, key players - Sivo, Mahoney, DylBro, Moses, Gutho - would all have gained invaluable experience yesterday.

Short-term pain, for long-term gain.

This is all well and good. But a team like parra only gets a small window of opportunity every few years. We need to capitalise before another rebuild is needed.

emjaycee

Coach
This is all well and good. But a team like parra only gets a small window of opportunity every few years. We need to capitalise before another rebuild is needed.
Or we need to build our club to a point where the Premiership window remains open for longer than a couple of years.

Develop a proper juniors pathway incl. having our own Canterbury cup team. :heavy_check_mark:
Build a Centre of Excellence that provides the whole playing group with the tools they need to be their best :heavy_check_mark:
Put in place a long term retention and recruitment strategy that combines junior development and promotion from within and with external buying to fill gaps from development and keep the squad fresh:heavy_check_mark:
Have a coach that is passionate about the club, works hard, maintains the respect of the playing group, learns year to year and adapts game plans to game scenarios :interrobang:
Build and maintain front office stability :heavy_check_mark:

Pazza

First Grade

This

I hope the young blokes gain some insight and experience from last night. But i've been supporting the club for 20 years now and usually when we have a successful season like this one it is usually followed up by a lean one.

I have a feeling it's not going to happen this time around but unfortunately building sustained success is something this club seems to be allergic to.

IFR33K

Coach
Or we need to build our club to a point where the Premiership window remains open for longer than a couple of years.

Develop a proper juniors pathway incl. having our own Canterbury cup team. :heavy_check_mark:
Build a Centre of Excellence that provides the whole playing group with the tools they need to be their best :heavy_check_mark:
Put in place a long term retention and recruitment strategy that combines junior development and promotion from within and with external buying to fill gaps from development and keep the squad fresh:heavy_check_mark:
Have a coach that is passionate about the club, works hard, maintains the respect of the playing group, learns year to year and adapts game plans to game scenarios :interrobang:
Build and maintain front office stability :heavy_check_mark:

Not sure it’s possible for a Sydney based club unless your name is politis or Crowe.

Bazal

Post Whore
This

I hope the young blokes gain some insight and experience from last night. But i've been supporting the club for 20 years now and usually when we have a successful season like this one it is usually followed up by a lean one.

I have a feeling it's not going to happen this time around but unfortunately building sustained success is something this club seems to be allergic to.

Unfortunately there is no doubt that certain clubs have greater advantages than us when it comes to the salary cap and so forth.

Hopefully some off field stability might change that, but while people like Spags and Eagleston still breathe I'm not confident

Eelementary

Post Whore

We will be much better for it, mate - I'm confident of that.

Arthur (or any other coach, for that matter) can get up on his soap box, and tell his players what is expected of them to be a genuine force - but the best way to learn is through actions, and physically seeing what a genuine title threat looks like first-hand would do this young squad the world of good.

Djay

Juniors
100%.

That is the fear, this club has a proven track record of not being able to follow up on a successful season when "premiership windows" are open for us. 2009 GF, 2010 tipped to win it and didn't even make the 8, 2017 4th went within a whisker of beating Melbourne in Melbourne, tipped to win it in 2018, got a spoon. That is the concern and I am severely concerned about next year, this club struggles to deal with any expectation and that is the worry. We have managed to assemble a roster that has a brilliant backline most likely capable of winning a competition but we are severely lacking about 2-3 forwards and I fear if we don't get those forwards then this premiership window will close also. History doesn't bode well for us, next year is going to be so interesting to see. And it is going to be a real test of character and ability for BA too, he needs to start showing he can get this team singing weekly and threatening to win a comp otherwise opportunity wasted.

On Sivo, love him and love his story, but if he thinks he is worth more then what has been offered then whatever he can go, the greed and bullshit involved along with player managers is a joke, we can't afford to be paying overs on a winger and last night should be a reality check, because he was pretty awful.

Fergo had never been the same since he broke his nose and had his rib injury, the off season hopefully will give him time to recover and get healthy again, earlier on in the year he was devastating out of our own end prior to injuries.

Latest posts