What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 106 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 109 50.7%

• Total voters

Bandwagon

Staff member
I wonder how much the improvement in our recruitment can be put down to having finally putting to bed decisions from our previous management that saw us not even having a top 30 ( or 25 back then? ) due to the number of players we were paying to play elsewhere, and the situations that would have created in the way we managed our roster ( ultimately leading to the salary cap debacle of 2016 ).

I reckon it'd be a fair bit.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I wonder how much the improvement in our recruitment can be put down to having finally putting to bed decisions from our previous management that saw us not even having a top 30 ( or 25 back then? ) due to the number of players we were paying to play elsewhere, and the situations that would have created in the way we managed our roster ( ultimately leading to the salary cap debacle of 2016 ).

Additionally we finally have juniors to promote into the squad or play NRL, which gives us more cap space to spend.

84 Baby

Referee

Are we still paying Morts?

Gronk

Staff member
Thankfully the Titans are paying part of his contract these days. That's how poorly run they are.

IIRC the Tits are still paying off the car that ECG Snr and Paul Mares torched.

PS look what I found !

parramatta-rugby-league-players-eric-grothe-27-paul-mares-23-with-picture-id1081459178

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
All things considered I'd give BA a pass mark for this season. Huge improvement from winning the spoon.

Lets see how he goes next year.

One thing tho, we need to recruit but thats not all down to him now but he will have a say in who and how much I assume.

Avenger

Immortal
t’s not that we lost, the Storm were always going to be tough.
It’s how we lost.

Mentally piss weak. Again. How can you destroy a team one week and then get destroyed yourself?

It’s been an obvious improvement and you cannot take away from that but a top 4 spot next year is the aim. Anything less should not be acceptable and if we miss out in 2020 like we have in previous years after a breakout season (2010 and 2018 immediately come to mind) we bite the bullet and seek a new direction under a new coach.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
We have the makings of a top 4 side with some smart buys. We definitely need another big quality prop. We also need a leader out there. Why dopey Arthur did not go for James Graham is beyond me.

Unfortunately, I dont think Arthur is the coach that can turn them onto a top 4 side. I dont think he instills confidence and respect, and I believe the players treat him more as a mate rather than their coach.

If Bennett or Bellamy had this team he would turn them into something special.

Gronk

Staff member
t’s not that we lost, the Storm were always going to be tough.
It’s how we lost.

Mentally piss weak. Again. How can you destroy a team one week and then get destroyed yourself?

It’s been an obvious improvement and you cannot take away from that but a top 4 spot next year is the aim. Anything less should not be acceptable and if we miss out in 2020 like we have in previous years after a breakout season (2010 and 2018 immediately come to mind) we bite the bullet and seek a new direction under a new coach.

One game does not define a group or the season. Yes we did not handle the job yesterday, but we are not mentally piss weak. We have shown this on numerous occasions this year. Are we at the level of Storm Roosters and possibly Canberra? No. That does not mean that we should be happy with the result or content with our progress, but we should also not panic and make knee-jerk emotional decisions. We are on a good trajectory and are certainly the best placed team (with Manly) to make the step up in the coming years.

Avenger

Immortal
One game does not define a group or the season. Yes we did not handle the job yesterday, but we are not mentally piss weak. We have shown this on numerous occasions this year. Are we at the level of Storm Roosters and possibly Canberra? No. That does not mean that we should be happy with the result or content with our progress, but we should also not panic and make knee-jerk emotional decisions. We are on a good trajectory and are certainly the best placed team (with Manly) to make the step up in the coming years.
We have been smashed on more than one occasion this season. The loss during magic round to these merkins followed by this one shows we are mentally piss weak.

I’m not sure BA can consistently motivate and his tactics last night were horrible.

Gronk

Staff member
We have been smashed on more than one occasion this season. The loss during magic round to these merkins followed by this one shows we are mentally piss weak.

I’m not sure BA can consistently motivate and his tactics last night were horrible.

Yes but getting beat by the top three teams is in fact the common denominator of all the teams that sit below them. We (the teams from No.4 down) have all copped floggings and have been inconsistent. That is precisely why we are not as good as them.

Avenger

Immortal
Yes but getting beat by the top three teams is in fact the common denominator of all the teams that sit below them. We (the teams from No.4 down) have all copped floggings and have been inconsistent. That is precisely why we are not as good as them.
We won only 4 away games all season and all those teams were bottom 4. We are mentally piss weak and have been since Ray Price retired.

Tooooks

Bench

First graders shouldn’t need a coach to motivate them. It isn’t under 6s.

Also, we don’t know what his tactics were. We dropped the ball on our first set and didn’t get it back for ten minutes. By then it was game over.

Gazzamatta

Coach
BA is our coach for the next two seasons. Period.
That said I believe the players need new voices in the camp.
The game was won and lost on defence. There's was great ours was average particularly the first half. Defence includes dealing with kicks etc not just tackling. In this we were very poor. Individually we wernt too bad but as a team we were horrible. When they were down to 12 they still had us covered easilly.
If we run around next season with a similar coaching group l dont think we are taking advantage of this seasons improvement. Change is good.
The first half last night was eerily similar to our 64 to 10 defeat earlier in the season. It means we learned little from that disaster and thats a worry.
Compare roster to roster the conclusion to me is obvious. We were out coached. Theres no crime in that given Bellamy is a master but we need to be moving towards that level.

Tooooks

Bench
BA is our coach for the next two seasons. Period.
That said I believe the players need new voices in the camp.
The game was won and lost on defence. There's was great ours was average particularly the first half. Defence includes dealing with kicks etc not just tackling. In this we were very poor. Individually we wernt too bad but as a team we were horrible. When they were down to 12 they still had us covered easilly.
If we run around next season with a similar coaching group l dont think we are taking advantage of this seasons improvement. Change is good.
The first half last night was eerily similar to our 64 to 10 defeat earlier in the season. It means we learned little from that disaster and thats a worry.
Compare roster to roster the conclusion to me is obvious. We were out coached. Theres no crime in that given Bellamy is a master but we need to be moving towards that level.

All week it was “we’re a very different side from round 9” etc. That first half was worse than the round 9 effort. Three things saved us from another 60 score line:

1) The rain
2) Missed conversions
3) They clocked off early knowing they have a very tough game next week.

Our defence is rubbish and if we don’t get new defensive coaches in who actually know what they’re doing, next year will be a similar ride for us. Plenty of great wins mixed with woeful performances.

Latest posts