What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

hellteam

First Grade
Think about how good Souths’ look would improve by having just one version of their red and green striped jersey - no side panels, no black shoulders or unnecessary trim. They could still wear it with either black or white shorts when appropriate. Then, wear either a white or black version of the old Minties-style jersey for games against the Raiders.

Souths have had shocking jerseys for years.... they finally changed it this year (?) and it looks pretty much exactly the same.

Do fans prefer it now?

GAZF

First Grade
Think about how good Souths’ look would improve by having just one version of their red and green striped jersey - no side panels, no black shoulders or unnecessary trim. They could still wear it with either black or white shorts when appropriate. Then, wear either a white or black version of the old Minties-style jersey for games against the Raiders.
But how would they have their cake and eat it too with sponsors!?!

flippikat

Bench

A white Minties-style jersey or this old Nines design.

images

Although it *is* a bit close to the Raiders white alternate, I do like it

wazdog

Juniors
Souths have had shocking jerseys for years.... they finally changed it this year (?) and it looks pretty much exactly the same.

Do fans prefer it now?

The black and white panels is nothing but a marketing play to sell more jerseys than having a completely seperate away jersey. As the only need for a true away / clash jersey is where we play Canberra in Canberra.

In saying that this is the best jersey we've had in a while.

We will be wearing this next week. Should be wearing it with black shorts to avoid a clash but will probably go with white.

image.axd.png

parrawentyfan

Juniors
To reiterate the point that Souths should be forced to have a white alternate jersey on account of not having any adequately contrasting jersey to their main design.

untitled-11-jpg.29874

Setting aside the colour blindness issue for a moment, the bright red vs bright green is one of the best combos we have for those with regular vision. Love seeing the Raiders play against the Dragons in their Steelers style jersey. We don't have enough bold and bright single colour jerseys. Tigers in Orange is good also but unfortunately rare these days.

Stallion

First Grade
The black and white panels is nothing but a marketing play to sell more jerseys than having a completely seperate away jersey. As the only need for a true away / clash jersey is where we play Canberra in Canberra.

In saying that this is the best jersey we've had in a while.

We will be wearing this next week. Should be wearing it with black shorts to avoid a clash but will probably go with white.

View attachment 33185

It would be better if Rabbitohs wear black shorts for sure. Still think the green and red stripes with black panels and black shorts would be a better look against Canberra with the lime green and white shirts. Anyway it probably will be a dissappointing. alternate version . So that's reality. We move on.

GAZF

First Grade
Setting aside the colour blindness issue for a moment, the bright red vs bright green is one of the best combos we have for those with regular vision. Love seeing the Raiders play against the Dragons in their Steelers style jersey. We don't have enough bold and bright single colour jerseys. Tigers in Orange is good also but unfortunately rare these days.
I'm all for teams using bright colours, but not at the expense of legibility or accessibility. There's a difference between royal blue vs yellow, and red vs medium green.

This simulator gives a good look into how different types of colour blindness affect the contrast of colours:
https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

I uploaded a colour wheel to show where certain colour combinations can be problematic. For red-green colour blindness, green has contrast issues with reds and oranges of a similar luminosity for example, but is ok with pink and yellow. It's not a simple case of predicting clashes with colour wheel adjacency and it becomes even more complex as luminosity is adjusted. Best bet is to evaluate colours on their luminosity, which is independent of hue.

I'm not colour blind or deficient but am of the opinion that sport in general should be pushing to clearly differentiate teams on the field, especially as fans are increasingly watching the game on smaller screens, and also to apply clash rules consistently across the board to avoid idiotic clashes such as the upcoming one this Friday.
10000.png

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I'm all for teams using bright colours, but not at the expense of legibility or accessibility. There's a difference between royal blue vs yellow, and red vs medium green.

This simulator gives a good look into how different types of colour blindness affect the contrast of colours:
https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

I uploaded a colour wheel to show where certain colour combinations can be problematic. For red-green colour blindness, green has contrast issues with reds and oranges of a similar luminosity for example, but is ok with pink and yellow. It's not a simple case of predicting clashes with colour wheel adjacency and it becomes even more complex as luminosity is adjusted. Best bet is to evaluate colours on their luminosity, which is independent of hue.

I'm not colour blind or deficient but am of the opinion that sport in general should be pushing to clearly differentiate teams on the field, especially as fans are increasingly watching the game on smaller screens, and also to apply clash rules consistently across the board to avoid idiotic clashes such as the upcoming one this Friday.
View attachment 33210

Great contribution to the forum. Interesting to see it that way

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So Souths are wearing their black trimmed home jersey with away sponsors. I guess green v. green doesn't clash anymore?
The white shorts split it out enough but it's still ridiculous. There should be more of a contrast.

They have put away sponsor Alcatel on the front though, in a change from their normal home jersey

mn_tibor

Juniors
I really wanted to make a witty comment about not recognizing the raiders because I thought their colours were blue and white but after 58-0 I should probably still keep to myself.

P.S. Now fully on the raiders bandwagon