What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack bird??

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack Bird turned Cronulla around at 5/8 in 2016. They were in the pack and then when he hit 1st grade everyone lifted including Matt Prior ( his best season). Fit and healthy ( big if) Jack Bird is a game changing player.

I thought; is there going to be some sort of swap with Ben Hunt returning to Brisbane? If so, then we need to be big winners out of the deal.if the swap is a net $500K - $600k in our cap favour. Say Brisbane agree to take Ben Hunt at our reported $1.2 for the next 3 years to finish contract and we take Bird for $600 until the end of his deal.

You might say ‘it won’t happen’. I think Ben is a top class player and really wants to be back in Qld where family ties are. Ben may also take a pay cut say $100 -150k to return in that sort of situation. I don’t think Ben hates the Dragons or Mary etc but is caught with needing to stay for that Extra big pay packet and now finds himself a bit homesick.

Think; Broncos get the top class half they need and we potentially have a risky but exciting halves team of Norman and Bird and another $ 500k cap space to buy a top centre. Also, is Nene a possible return? Apparently burned a few bridges up north. Truly, Nene was very good for us in our charge in 2018.

I believe only rotten injuries at the death to Gareth, Tariq and Frzz prevented us being in the 2018 Grand Final.

Hunt is not on 1.2 mill....not even close...( would almost be a swap for swap..we would be better off keeping hunt and getting a proper coach. )...anyway, I doubt there will be any swap deal...PURE FICTION.

A no from me re Bird...900K...Broncos would more than likely only subsidize 2020...lets say they pay 300 to 400 K...that means you are paying 500 to 600 K 1st year and 900 the 2nd...he is not a 700K plus player currently....massive risk...Better options on the market, but we will more than likely get some sub standard reserve grader.

Carlton

Juniors
Hunt is not on 1.2 mill....not even close...( would almost be a swap for swap..we would be better off keeping hunt and getting a proper coach. )...anyway, I doubt there will be any swap deal...PURE FICTION.

A no from me re Bird...900K...Broncos would more than likely only subsidize 2020...lets say they pay 300 to 400 K...that means you are paying 500 to 600 K 1st year and 900 the 2nd...he is not a 700K plus player currently....massive risk...Better options on the market, but we will more than likely get some sub standard reserve grader.

If we are going to try to get a Bronco go for Kotoni Staggs.

matPORTS

Juniors
This view on things might not go down well with some, but I'm looking at things alternatively:

On the Jack Bird situation - I am completely on the fence for a number of reasons. No doubt if fully fit he is a world class player and someone we could definitely use in our team. But what's his motivation for wanting to come back? Looking for an 'easy way out' rather than saying to Broncos Management "nope I want to stay and fight for my spot"?

Additionally, no world class player signing is going to make any difference under the current coaching hierarchy. Goes to prove yet again how little business sense our board has. Sadly (and cringe) it looks like McGregor will be staying (and will likely see out the bulk or even the remainder of his current contract)...!!

If the board had any business sense, balls or an ounce of professional fibre within them, they would be telling McGregor you're not signing anyone, use what you have got i.e. promote the juniors. Then if he can prove that he can get what he has got playing to the best of their abilities, then we can talk about enhancing the squad prior to the June 30 deadline and also go into the market for 2021. This would also allow for the de Belin situation to run it's course as well. *Disclaimer - this is likely to backfire in a big way (it is Mary afterall)... but having a bulk of our salary cap tied to lazy players guaranteed spots in the 17 each week on big deals is also just as bad in my opinion, and leaves an even bigger mess for the potential next coach to go clean up.

Some clubs (particularly the big names) seem to be able to move players on mid-contract willy nilly, and more often than not, it doesn't benefit the clubs receiving those players who've been moved on.

Here is another thought... how about the Broncos & Bird actually honor the deal, and not have the next club (whether it's us or someone else) be held to ransom? The Ryan Matterson situation at the Tigers is also in the same boat here...

getsmarty

Immortal
JDB money is about $550,000 per season I reckon, so thats my figure for Bird.
CC

Not if he is on the reported 900K for the next 2 years....Can't see the Broncos paying 700K or thereabouts for the next 2 years.Also, isn't the relationship between our club and his father still tense ?

Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

possm

Coach
Not if he is on the reported 900K for the next 2 years....Can't see the Broncos paying 700K or thereabouts for the next 2 years.Also, isn't the relationship between our club and his father still tense ?

Will be interesting to see what unfolds.
Penrith are offering Bird the coin he is asking. For Penrith it is a matter of Bird for Maloney - like for like. Why can't Millward get this formula through his thick head?

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Bird left us with bad feelings and under dark skies.
He then left Sharks with bad feelings and under dark skies.
Has barely played since being in Brisbane and somehow we think it would be happy days and clear skies if we pick him up.
FMD some people just have no idea how ridiculous this scenario would be.
Let Jack go to another club and see if he can resurrect and play out his career.

getsmarty

Immortal
Penrith are offering Bird the coin he is asking. For them it is a matter of Bird for Maloney - like for like. Why can't Millward get this formula through his thick head?

Firstly...it's up to the coach to want the player.

Secondly..player may not want to come here...tension between his father and the club in the past

Thirdly....Penrith pay massive overs for players...that is why they are paying for players to play at other clubs eg, next year RCG @ the Eels and that is even with the greater third party payments they have available...

We have one of the weakest third party in the comp...

Continue on with your narrative and believe what you want ,

Have a good Day.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Bird left us with bad feelings and under dark skies.
He then left Sharks with bad feelings and under dark skies.
Has barely played since being in Brisbane and somehow we think it would be happy days and clear skies if we pick him up.
FMD some people just have no idea how ridiculous this scenario would be.
Let Jack go to another club and see if he can resurrect and play out his career.

Spot on OT.

Bird is in it for the money only, which for a young man with his ailments is understandable. He was at his peak 3 yrs ago and has only played in 35% of available games since.
He's undoubtably a very good player when switched on, however, it appears than on button has been stuck in the off position for a while now and McGregor is not the coach to fix his ways.
Good luck Ivan!

TruSaint

Referee
You know where your club is at when there is discussion of a once contracted player, whom has since left to 2 other clubs, has had bad blood with our management via his dad, is injury prone, has barely played in recent times, is on massive coin, we are nearly capped out...... becomes a priority.. Yes ladies and gents, this is STGI v2019...

Latest posts