What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club salary cap

Gareth67

First Grade
Completely amazes me how the fools could have the cap in such a precarious position.

Why have other clubs been able to come back from the brink of ruin to sign decent players year after year and still maintain their salary cap . Point in case Parramatta when they were caught cheating the cap a number of years back are now in a healthy financial position - would it be that they don’t have fools running the show ?

getsmarty

Immortal
Completely amazes me how the fools could have the cap in such a precarious position.

Why have other clubs been able to come back from the brink of ruin to sign decent players year after year and still maintain their salary cap . Point in case Parramatta when they were caught cheating the cap a number of years back are now in a healthy financial position - would it be that they don’t have fools running the show ?

Very little 3rd party for starters + coach hanging on to players that are past their Due date.

Tuddy

Juniors
Don’t disagree with you guys on WIN but what has it got to do with CAP space?

Smart business owners would bring in more third party sponsors and would create a model that would encourage better players to come here for less money, not the overs we have to pay now.

That's two very obvious ways straight off the bat. I'm sure there is a myriad of others that the better run clubs are using right now. Just have a look at the roosters line up.

Smart business owners would bring in more third party sponsors and would create a model that would encourage better players to come here for less money, not the overs we have to pay now.

That's two very obvious ways straight off the bat. I'm sure there is a myriad of others that the better run clubs are using right now. Just have a look at the roosters line up.
Sure but still the club being broke, (which I’d suggest is more cash poor and asset rich rather than broke) has nothing to do with salary cap or third parties. Both of those are a direct result of incompetence up to the board.

Believe me, I’ve seen it lol

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sure but still the club being broke, (which I’d suggest is more cash poor and asset rich rather than broke) has nothing to do with salary cap or third parties. Both of those are a direct result of incompetence up to the board.

Believe me, I’ve seen it lol
With respect, you can't compare Saints finances to Sharks finances.

Saints are not broke.

Dragonsamy

Bench

They are much better at tp that we are.
We sould have plenty with Gareth gone etc.
But we don't

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I never said they are. Where did I say it Willow?

Your own said it

Oh and you are correct, sharks aren’t broke
Where did I say you said it? Hmmm....

Sharks have a history of struggling, financially, sometimes it was week-to-week. Saints cannot be compared to that.

As for the "your own said it", I think you may have let your veil slip.

I think the other offers from Bingo and the other from one who own other sporting teams, such as an NBL team were both St George fans from way back who's allegiance would have been too St George. Maybe the NRL or the Illawarra faction didn't want more St George, but couldn't find any others Illawarra fans that were interested in buying up the Illawarra half. Saints Leagues should have just bought up the Illawarra half and we then could have done what Manly did and go back to being St George Dragons and played a couple of token games at Illawarra each year, until (if) they got an Illawarra team back in.
Frank - that makes the most sense to me too.
Forget the compromises and the dual branding.
Shed the Albatross and get back to being who we always have been and that's the Mighty Saints!

Just imagine that WIN are a media company.
Surely they understand Advertising and Sponsorship and how they can build a business through promotion. TPI's should be a given.
Instead we get this clueless perpetuation of nepotism and seat warming in the Board room.
Any benefit we thought may be forthcoming from WIN has not only evaporated but probably regressed.
Our window of opportunity to win a comp with the current group of players has come and gone.
Our roster no longer holds any fear for other clubs.
Opposition coaches are all very confident when they play McGregor coached teams.
They have him sussed and can basically set tactics to nullify anything McGregor can think up as a game plan.
So given all that, which high quality player in their right mind would come to play for St. George under the tutelage of McGregor?
The answer is no one.
Widdop gone in 2020, DeBelin gone (regardless of the court outcome) others leaving the club and no new signings on the horizon.
Where is the optimism in this scenario?
Gould as another advisor to McGregor?
Another sounding board and security blanket for a coach that did not deserve to be appointed in the first place?
None of this makes sense and it has been going on ever since Bennett's departure.

Where did I say you said it? Hmmm....

Sharks have a history of struggling, financially, sometimes it was week-to-week. Saints cannot be compared to that.

As for the "your own said it", I think you may have let your veil slip.

Perhaps read the earlier posts Willow. I was actually initially responding to someone that suggested the club was broke. Even the post you have chosen to latch onto I was not saying it as my opinion, only that any suggestion of being broke (which I also said I don’t believe), has NOTHING to to with the salary cap.

Now if you wish to continue you high and mighty, that’s ok with me.

Anyway, hope the flight back was good

Last edited:

41yearsaint

Juniors
Can't blame Gordo not opening up the cheque book, our board would just blow it. Maybe thats why Gus is being lured.

Gareth67

First Grade
I mentioned a few weeks ago that with the board all firmly stuck in their roles of ‘ The Three Wise Monkeys ‘ and the clueless McGregor still at the helm of the ship that we would remain at a he bottom of the ladder .

If anything the situation has now become worse with next to no salary cap , prominent players gone and no player of a decent caliber to fill the vacancies left by their departures. Just what will it take before we see any light at the end of the tunnel ?

True_Believer

Juniors
So the dragons have sweet FA in the kitty for next year. 250k to spend in the cap. That’s it. So there’ll be no changes to roster without some considerable axings and astute management. Now, we don’t have the astute management so I guess we will be stuck with Pearson, Rava, Saab, Aitken, Lafai, dufty.... wouldn’t knock the top of a rice pudding. WIN Corp refuse to put in a cent. Begs the question... why the hell did they buy in??????

Is there an article or something stating we only have $250k?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
That figure must be bogus. Widdop leaving plus no JDB and we should have at least $1M spare in the cap. More than enough to sign a prop and a couple of Fijian wingers. Just don't waste it on Jack Bird.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
With at least four players leaving about $1,000,000 should be freed up as follows:-
Latimore $150,000
Marsters $100,000
Robson $150,000
Widdop $600,000
Others probably leaving would add at least $850,000 as follows:-
Allgood $150,000
Dufty $250,000
Field $150,000
Maranta $150,000
Nicholls $150,000
That amounts to a total of $1,850,000 and you would think that at least $600,000 of this total could go to new player/s and the balance to Norman/upgrades. The De Belin situation also needs to be factored in.

Old Timer

Coach
How much are Graham & Norman really costing now that their former clubs are no longer paying part of the freight?
Maybe the speculation re Hunt and his actual cost being a million a year might be more correct than the dumbed down figure of $800k?
Did we come up with some back ended deals for some of our long term plodders after all there has to be some incentive to get people to play in our system?
For there to be no money with the roster we have indicates that something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
  • Cap money is provided by the NRL and manged by Millward who reports to the CEO Johnston.
  • SGI money is the money committed by St George and WIN to finance an agreed budget set by the Board.
  • All clubs get the same cap allocation of cap funds provedid by the NRL. These funds cannot be saved and used for the next season however, many clubs front load or backload contracts to smooth out their cap expenditure.

The current problems at SGI have all to do with deals made during negotiations conducted between Illawarra, WIN, the Gordons, SGI and the NRL with regards to the Illawarra share buy out. These negotiations were protracted because they included demands for certain undertakings that were unusual and loaded with self interest rather than the best interests of SGI. Now those demands are being honoured and we can see the results; very unusual decisions made that have explanations that cannot be rationally explained.

SGI management is our biggest problem. From the Boardroom down to department mangers to football management and filtering to player attitudes. SGI management is rotten at the top and so this rot is filtered through the whole club as evidenced by SGI's performance on and off the field.

The only way to address this problem is to start at the top and methodically make the necessary adjustments down the line until people in charge have only the best interests of SGI front of mind; not their own best interests.

My suggested plan would be more long term than most of us desire however, this would be a very difficult path and would need the support of fans/supporters, the Board members and the NRL. I suggest:

Phase 1.
  1. That SGI be constituted as a Rugby League Club with a shareholding of 12m shares, valued at $1.00 per share:
  2. Member - St George Football Club - holding 4m shares.
  3. Member - WIN Corp - holding 4m shares.
  4. Ordinary Members - SGI Club Members holding up to a total of 4m shares. (must be an SGI member to be eligible to buy these shares. A limit of 10 thousand shares per member applied.
  5. An Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held each year to receive reports, approve the budget, consider proposals and vote for Board members.
  6. 12 Board positions to be established with 4 allocated each to St George, WIN and Ordinary members.
  7. 50% of Board positions to be declared vacant each year.
  8. The Board to elect it's chairperson.
Phases 2 and 3 are all to do with bringing SGI up to the standards attained by the likes of Melbourne, Easts and maybe Souths, who by the way just happen, in my opinion, to have the best 3 coaches in the competition. Hasler and Mage also up their however, their clubs are not.

Latest posts