What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tongan players threatening boycott

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I'd be stunned if a country boycotted because of Folau.

To me this should be Tonga's call, I doubt the RLIF would interfere if Australia selected someone controversial.
Agree to differ then. Codes of football have clear codes of conduct and diversity commitments. It’s clear Folau can’t be trusted to support these. He’s made himself an outcast.

morningstar

Juniors
This will be fascinating, on what grounds can the RLIF block it?

- No player signs a contract with the RLIF...and let’s be honest they are a tin pot organisation at the best of times. Does anyone think they have a code of conduct regarding social media?

- There is a precedent set of Union players rocking up and playing league tests with no prior league game time in the preceding season.

- Commercials for the end of year tests are looking pretty grim as it is. Are Greenberg & Beattie going to pick up the tab when Tonga take their ball home.

....let’s face it the RLIF doesn’t have a great track record in legal challenges by Tonga either.

Agree to differ then. Codes of football have clear codes of conduct and diversity commitments. It’s clear Folau can’t be trusted to support these. He’s made himself an outcast.

Do the RLIF have a code of conduct that applies here, and can it be applied retrospectively?

I can’t think of another codes governing body banning a player in a similar circumstance. Many worse people are allowed to play pro sports, I think if Folau gave a commitment to be quiet that’d be enough for me.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Do the RLIF have a code of conduct that applies here, and can it be applied retrospectively?

I can’t think of another codes governing body banning a player in a similar circumstance. Many worse people are allowed to play pro sports, I think if Folau gave a commitment to be quiet that’d be enough for me.
Re your last sentence. Rugby Australia says hello!

taste2taste

Juniors
Do Greenburg and Beatie actually have a say on the RLIF board ?
If so we're stuffed as an international game, they'll always make decisions that best suit the NRL.

Do Greenburg and Beatie actually have a say on the RLIF board ?
If so we're stuffed as an international game, they'll always make decisions that best suit the NRL.

Yes. They’re both on the board.

Although Beattie will likely be gone from it when he steps down as ARLC chairman.

morningstar

Juniors
Exhibit A in the case the RLIF are tin pot. The deputy chairman Peter Beattie just doxed the CEO Nigel Wood in an epic hospital pass.

yakstorm

First Grade
Exhibit A in the case the RLIF are tin pot. The deputy chairman Peter Beattie just doxed the CEO Nigel Wood in an epic hospital pass.

Niel Wood and Nigel Wood are two separate people. It was Niel Wood who sent out the Media Release and handles media for the RLIF.

yakstorm

First Grade
At the moment, in the interest of the 9s, the Oceania Cup and even the GB Tour, the quicker this gets sorted, the better for the code... I fear how low the crowds would be for games like Tonga v GB if this dispute wasn't sorted...

We need the Tongan fans out in force....