What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

isaiah

Bench
I know homophobe is used to call out anything negative said about gay people but wouldn’t it strictly mean fear of them? I don’t think he is scared.

no name

Coach
What I can't understand is RLIF (aka ARL Mafia) have done absolutely nothing for international rugby league. But now out of the blue have decided to ban Izzy... But they can't even get a international calender together or when they make a profit they seem to keep the cash for some Singapore RLIF convention run by Beattie instead of giving it to needing countries.
But the more organisations ban him , I honestly believe it will work in his favour (but i could be wrong).
Secondly we let former criminals and wife beaters back in and a dude who Pee's in his mouth (Todd Carney)... so why are we discriminating against him.
Thirdly Tonga should be able to play him because let's face it, sometimes for some one to change there mind (Izzy) sometimes you have to be the better person and extend the olive branch...
1. He wasn’t banned out of the blue.

2. Todd Carney hasn’t played at any level above park footy since the bubbler incident.

3. If the multi million dollar ARU contract couldn’t change his mind, nothing Tonga will offer is going to.

He was warned multiple times about what would happen if he continued to do what he was doing. He made his bed, he can lie in it, preferably without dragging rugby league into it.

Chimp

Bench
This is a problem in society nowadays, everyone harps on about being 'inclusive', but they only mean inclysive to people who subscribe to their own ideology. Surely inclusiveness has to include including people who's beliefs you disagree with, or even find offensive.
I don't agree with his beliefs, I understand why some people would be offended by his posts, and those individuals have the right to say what they think about him and his views, but none of that has one ounce of weight into whether he is a good rugby league player, or whether he should be allowed to make a living from the sport, particularly when you consider some of the criminal acts that some NRL players have on their record.
But then Todd G said consistency is overrated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is a problem in society nowadays, everyone harps on about being 'inclusive', but they only mean inclysive to people who subscribe to their own ideology. Surely inclusiveness has to include including people who's beliefs you disagree with, or even find offensive.
I don't agree with his beliefs, I understand why some people would be offended by his posts, and those individuals have the right to say what they think about him and his views, but none of that has one ounce of weight into whether he is a good rugby league player, or whether he should be allowed to make a living from the sport, particularly when you consider some of the criminal acts that some NRL players have on their record.

Dckheads don’t deserve to be included in anything.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/ee95c7c25020ba36e29382e820faa3c8

The NRL is desperately trying to block a shock bid for Israel Folau to return to rugby league with the Tongan Test side.
Tonga’s claim that controversial star Israel Folau has been cleared to make a sensational rugby league return and play for the Mate Ma’a has been shot down by the international governing body.

The Tongan National Rugby League (TNRL) dropped a bombshell on Monday, releasing a statement on their Facebook page that Folau and his brother John would feature in their end-of-year Tests against Great Britain and Australia.
Folau and new Tonga coach Frank Endacott even claimed in the statement that the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) had given the green light to a comeback.

But the RLIF have dismissed the TNRL’s post, saying they had not been formally asked to consider dual international Folau’s return.

“The Rugby League International Federation is aware of a media release issued by Tonga National Rugby League stating that Israel Folau has been ‘approved’ by the RLIF to represent Tonga in international matches,” it said in a statement.

“That statement is incorrect. The RLIF has not been formally asked to consider this matter.

“The RLIF will not be commenting further on this situation at this stage.”

RLIF deputy chairman and ARLC chairman Peter Beattie had earlier cast doubt over Folau’s return, saying the move hadn’t been mentioned by the international body.

“The RLIF has made no decision in relation to any registration request for Israel Folau,” he told AAP on Monday night.

“As a current member and deputy chair of the RLIF board, (as the ARLC representative), I can assure you that this has never been discussed or mentioned around the board table.” Beattie had previously shut the door on an attempt by Folau to return to the NRL.

It ensures Folau can’t play for Tonga in next month’s World Cup Nines which is run by the NRL.

And Beattie, along with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg - who is also on the international body’s board - are set to stand in the way of Folau playing for Tonga in this year’s Tests if the RLIF put his return to a vote.

Beattie said back in June that former Brisbane and Melbourne NRL star Folau would not be welcomed back to league due to his controversial social media posts that landed him in hot water with Rugby Australia.

Four months ago Folau’s lucrative contract with Rugby Australia was controversially terminated for breaching its code of conduct. Folau, 30, was deemed guilty of breaching the code over his social media posts which claimed homosexuals are going to hell.

However, it seems Folau is now attempting a comeback via Tonga, claiming in the Facebook statement that he had been cleared to play Great Britain in Hamilton on October 26 and the Kangaroos in Auckland on November 2.

“I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to represent God, my family, my heritage and the people of Tonga,” Folau said.

“I am thankful that the RLIF have accepted my availability to play.”

The Folau situation adds another twist to the controversy already swirling around Tongan rugby league.

The TNRL are in the midst of a bitter dispute between their board and a number of NRL stars, led by Jason Taumalolo and Andrew Fifita.

Over a dozen players have threatened to boycott the Test matches unless TNRL chairman George Koloamatangi and secretary Williams Edwards stand down after coach Kristian Woolf was sacked.

BadnMean

Juniors
ARU have a fair point he was breaching his contract- separate issue- but I don't see why that allows Oz NRL to tell RLIF who Tonga can pick, if he is registered to play RL by their federation. He's not serving any bans for foul play in any sport or WADA sanctions. He's involved in a contract dispute.

He's not trying to register with the NRL so it's none of their business.

For the record I think he's a bit of a knob. If he were to try and return to NRL, I don't think they could have him if he's going to vilify people on his social media. But he isn't trying to play NRL, just represent TOnga & it's their business who plays for them & whether his values align with their team.

Reflector

Juniors

"I learned that very often that the most intolerant and narrow-minded people are the ones who congratulate themselves on their tolerance and open-mindedness"- Peter Hitchens.

And as you point out, considering some of the other crimes that have been forgiven and allowed a player to return to the NRL, to ban Folau for offending some people would be ridiculous.

adamkungl

Immortal
ARU have a fair point he was breaching his contract- separate issue- but I don't see why that allows Oz NRL to tell RLIF who Tonga can pick, if he is registered to play RL by their federation. He's not serving any bans for foul play in any sport or WADA sanctions. He's involved in a contract dispute.

He's not trying to register with the NRL so it's none of their business.

For the record I think he's a bit of a knob. If he were to try and return to NRL, I don't think they could have him if he's going to vilify people on his social media. But he isn't trying to play NRL, just represent TOnga & it's their business who plays for them & whether his values align with their team.

This exactly.

Very dodgy ground to start dictating who nations can and can't pick based on what is effectively politics and a contract breach with a different sport and different nation.

Under Tonga he wouldn't be a contracted player, the NRL (should) have no power to enforce their political standards on another nation and the RLIF would be wise to stay out of it.

Some nations have laws against homosexuality far worse than Folau's religious drivel on the internet.
Is Rugby League going to start banning countries with dodgy politics while larger, healthier sports rightly mind their own business?

myrrh ken

First Grade
This exactly.

Very dodgy ground to start dictating who nations can and can't pick based on what is effectively politics and a contract breach with a different sport and different nation.

Under Tonga he wouldn't be a contracted player, the NRL (should) have no power to enforce their political standards on another nation and the RLIF would be wise to stay out of it.

Some nations have laws against homosexuality far worse than Folau's religious drivel on the internet.
Is Rugby League going to start banning countries with dodgy politics while larger, healthier sports rightly mind their own business?

Illegal for certain activity between men in Tonga.

Legal for females apparently.

Not sure were the Fakaleiti sit from a legal point of view.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sport can make a positive social difference. Which is why I support the NRL standing up against racism, homophobia, etc.

But for that to stretch over to other nations over something as minor as mean words on the internet is a pretty dark direction. Very colonial and arguably worse than outright racism.

Not to mention, from a footballing perspective, it makes a mockery of international competition and would basically prove that the entire International Federation is just an arm of the NRL.

bazza

Referee
I think we should wait until his current legal case is resolved before he can play at international or NRL level

TheFrog

Coach
I think we should wait until his current legal case is resolved before he can play at international or NRL level
I think you'll find that the words of Peter Beattie that he would be unwelcome in Rugby League will be used in his coming court case to argue for punitive damages.