What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 logo leaked

Swarzey

Bench
Some genius probably got paid $50,000 to come up with the idea to flip it.

Yeah.

Except they also would have done workshops with the club, research, brand strategy, then probably hundreds - likely thousands - of sketches and exploration. Then designed renewed visuals based around the new logo, tested it, scrapped it and repeated that a few times until they ultimately ditched all new and innovative designs and instead looked to keep and maintain the equity the club's brand has already built with the existing logo. Finalised the new logo, built a new identity system around it, laid it all out in documentation and likely created a large number of assets and templates for the club to use long into the future with the new logo.

But no, they just "flipped it" and charged $50,000.

macavity

Referee
Yeah.

Except they also would have done workshops with the club, research, brand strategy, then probably hundreds - likely thousands - of sketches and exploration. Then designed renewed visuals based around the new logo, tested it, scrapped it and repeated that a few times until they ultimately ditched all new and innovative designs and instead looked to keep and maintain the equity the club's brand has already built with the existing logo. Finalised the new logo, built a new identity system around it, laid it all out in documentation and likely created a large number of assets and templates for the club to use long into the future with the new logo.

But no, they just "flipped it" and charged $50,000.

They used MS Paint for all that??

Yosh

Coach
The guy who designed the Nike swish still gets a million dollars a year a heard. 50k for ours, deal well done.

Zoidberg

First Grade
So it’s official. Looks backwards. Be interested to see if it grows on me in the next 12 months.

Nuke

Staff member
With the release of the new Newcastle Knights logo the other day, I, like most Novocastrians I imagine, was shaking my head at the removal of the word 'NEWCASTLE' from the logo.

The switching of direction was something I felt was coming eventually from a few years ago, and the change of font from the unique style to something a bit more simple I also knew was coming (they used something similar on their letterheads and in membership letters about this time last year and into the new year, so I knew it wasn't far off).

I played with the logo for fun last year sometime, and felt they'd benefit from removing the black from the logo too. Blue is a dark, solid colour, and given the Knights are red-and-blue, to me, the changing of the black to blue I felt would be logical.

All that in mind, with the new logo released and my suggested couple of tweaks, this is what I'd personally prefer to see as the logo.

* Red and blue (with the necessary white) only.
* 'NEWCASTLE' in place of 'KNIGHTS' ... as really, you can see by the helmet they're the Knights!
NK alternate.jpg

macavity

Referee
With the release of the new Newcastle Knights logo the other day, I, like most Novocastrians I imagine, was shaking my head at the removal of the word 'NEWCASTLE' from the logo.

The switching of direction was something I felt was coming eventually from a few years ago, and the change of font from the unique style to something a bit more simple I also knew was coming (they used something similar on their letterheads and in membership letters about this time last year and into the new year, so I knew it wasn't far off).

I played with the logo for fun last year sometime, and felt they'd benefit from removing the black from the logo too. Blue is a dark, solid colour, and given the Knights are red-and-blue, to me, the changing of the black to blue I felt would be logical.

All that in mind, with the new logo released and my suggested couple of tweaks, this is what I'd personally prefer to see as the logo.

* Red and blue (with the necessary white) only.
* 'NEWCASTLE' in place of 'KNIGHTS' ... as really, you can see by the helmet they're the Knights!
View attachment 33191

So much better...

I still like the idea of a charging knight on a horse. I have this as a tattoo as I knew they would eventually change the logotatt.jpg

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
So much better...

I still like the idea of a charging knight on a horse. I have this as a tattoo as I knew they would eventually change the logoView attachment 33217
I like that (or that idea) as a marketing emblem, but as a club logo, the days of the detailed, complicated imagery are numbered.

The Dragons are probably very lucky that they've had their detailed logo for decades and never change it (merging clubs aside), so they've got a very good case to leave it alone as it is.
With the social media influence, logos will more than likely take the minimalist approach when they update their logos. Look at how the NRL uses club logos / emblems for promotion, ect. Simple imagery but still is instantly recognizable. The Knights already had that, however the want to update it meant a simplifying of the text took place.

Regarding tattoos, I'm not one to go for them at all, however if I were to ever get one, a Knights one, I'd go with the original club logo. That will always be the original, no matter what happens. If I got one of the current logo at any stage, at some point, it will be 'just' an old logo, but the first one will always be 'the first'. That's just me though!

I remember at the time of the Knights Leagues Club (2000), the logo was a stylised knight on horseback and I loved it. I was never a huge fan of the square-box Knights logo, so I would have been happy to have the simplified knight on horseback at the time. I'm very glad now that the logo has never been completely overhauled, and in my opinion, keeping the knights helmet in similar fashion to what it always has been is what they should forever have.

macavity

Referee
It’s a traditional tattoo... I mean a simplified version of course. Like Penrith have done - make it dynamic and horizontal. I much prefer horizontal logos - think Souths, Penrith, Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots.

Someone with much more artistic skill than I could make a good go of it.

Zoidberg

First Grade
226757_7629225671_4971_n.jpg
This is mine. Had it since ‘08. I went with it because it was simple and didn’t need colour.
Obviously a Knights logo tattoo.

Latest posts