What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Effectiveness

Springs09

Juniors
It also works in the NFL because their minimum wage is a decent earner, compared to the $5 an hour they would otherwise get flipping burgers. A lot of players wouldn't want to leave for example Sydney to go to the Warriors for some minimum wage contract. Not saying NZ is a bad place but moving countries for minimal wage isn't going to cut it for many.

I don't like the draft but $105,000 a year to play footy sounds pretty good to me.

Travitoh

First Grade
The only way i would like to see a draft in NRL is for unsigned restricted free agents, who either sign on with their current club or enter the draft and even then, there will be complications that will need sorting out.
If the NRL introduces an entry level draft, what reason do clubs then have to invest and develop talent below reserve grade level?
If you believe the talent pool is shallow now, it will only get shallower if clubs have no reason to invest time into juniors.

No no, it could be done. It could easily be brought up in the next CBA negotiations. But it's just not on the agenda for the NRL.

It's pretty clear that the NRL isn't interested in spreading the talent. It's only interested in the clubs not going broke.

Also, a draft is only technically a restraint of trade at a stretch. The salary cap is closer to that definition.

I know that, which is why I mentioned the NRLPA in the first place. problem is the NRL keep floating trial balloons about it in the media first rather than keeping it quiet and talking to the NRLPA about it in private first.

This article published by Fox Sports back in 2015 shows the problems the draft had in 1991 before Terry Hill challenged it in court which threw it out as a restraint of trade. Even back in 1991 the NSWRL showed they'd learned nothing from the Dennis Tutty case (which saw transfer fees classified as a restraint of trade) as they tried to impose it rather than engage the players about it in the first place.

greenBV4

Bench
If the NRL introduces an entry level draft, what reason do clubs then have to invest and develop talent below reserve grade level?
Give clubs the choice to sign their up their own juniors, our X amount of those juniors, before the first round of draft picks

Say "Club A" has 10 juniors trying to get a start. Club A likes 4 of them and signs them into the squad, then the other 6 go into the draft pool.

Not sure how I feel about a draft for NRL, but that could be a work around if we were to have it

ram raid

Bench
NFL players have a choice between playing in the NFL...and...ummm...the CFL?

Well, they have to compete with other sports too. It's not uncommon for college athletes in America to play a number of sports. Take Kyler Murray for example - he was signed to play MLB and then decided to enter the NFL and pay back his baseball contract.

But yes you are right, NRL couldn't get away with a draft. It's just interesting to wonder why this is so. A strong sport like NFL can have the rules it wants. We are always hanging on by a thread.

super_coach

First Grade
The NRL is basically controlled by a few self interested groups so you are dreaming if you think they will do anything that makes it a level playing field.
Granted there are a few clubs who are not doing much to help themseves

But yes you are right, NRL couldn't get away with a draft. It's just interesting to wonder why this is so. A strong sport like NFL can have the rules it wants. We are always hanging on by a thread.

The NFL operate under the US legal system which has notable differences form the Australian legal system. Hence certain things which are legal there are not legal here.

Additionally, the proposal for the NFL draft came from the team owners themselves and applied only to new players wanting to enter the NFL (i.e. college seniors). Look up the case of Stan Kostka as he was the principal reason the draft came in for the 1936 season.

Additionally, NFL teams don't fund junior teams and development under the kind of structure rugby league does. They don't have "juniors". That's why you cannot hold it up against the NRL as a direct comparison.

Last Week

Bench
The NFL operate under the US legal system which has notable differences form the Australian legal system. Hence certain things which are legal there are not legal here.

Additionally, the proposal for the NFL draft came from the team owners themselves and applied only to new players wanting to enter the NFL (i.e. college seniors). Look up the case of Stan Kostka as he was the principal reason the draft came in for the 1936 season.

Additionally, NFL teams don't fund junior teams and development under the kind of structure rugby league does. They don't have "juniors". That's why you cannot hold it up against the NRL as a direct comparison.

Exactly.

Whilst NRL clubs have juniors, a draft won't work here. I'd like it to, but it won't.

ram raid

Bench

So are you suggesting a draft system is not legal in Australia? I know it failed in NSWRL, but the AFL still do it, don't they?

Interesting read about Stan Kostica. Especially for me as a Vikings fan. We really need to come last and draft a new QB. I'm advocating we tank next year and grab Trevor Lawrence

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed...but there has to be another more effective system. I have always advocated for a point system where a player is awarded points for his ability rather than what he is paid. But like any system that would be hard to formulate
I had been working on a points based system which is based on experience and rep level appearances.

It's not too bad, but one club has broken it just for this season (Roosters) and I can't see a way around it.

So are you suggesting a draft system is not legal in Australia? I know it failed in NSWRL, but the AFL still do it, don't they?

Interesting read about Stan Kostica. Especially for me as a Vikings fan. We really need to come last and draft a new QB. I'm advocating we tank next year and grab Trevor Lawrence

The AFL got around it in a CBA with their player's association who agreed they would not challenge the draft in court. Many legal pundits suggest though that if an AFL player did challenge it, it would wind up like the NSWRL draft did as being ruled a restraint of trade, but to date no one has as they all appear to be happy with it.

lazza

Juniors
tpa_20181213.jpg

Storm get basically 25% extra, broncos 20% and the rest 5% or next to nothing.
Did not know this but wow - just wow!

siv

First Grade
points based system which is based on experience and rep level appearances.

Points based systems I have seen fail for players at the end if their careers

But you could revise points that cover say their last 3 seasons in respect to rep games

But then would you apply it at Top 30 level or on the final 17 per game ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has anyone been able to find any clarification on the marquee player third party agreement? It used to be $600k per club but not sure if it continued into this eba?

Latest posts