What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a true BRL Grand Final?

rwaite

Juniors
When they brought in the Queensland Cup in 1996 the QRL had the right idea to try and still award a BRL team as the BRL premiers. The only problem was they took the wrong approach with finals overkill so when Redcliffe and Easts, who played in the 1997 Qld Cup, played again in the 1997 BRL Grand Final it became so ho hum.

I would like to see a return of a BRL Grand Final that is ONLY played if a country side wins the Queensland Cup. It could be played at Dolphin Oval or Langlands Park the week after the QLD Cup Grand Final on a Saturday or Saturday night before the NRL GF the next day.

If they were do so I would also like to see the title of the BRL premiers awarded retrospectively to the highest placed Brisbane team between 1998 and the present.

Brutus

Referee
Interesting.

Would have get rid of the state championship match on NRL GF day.

I'm pretty sure in 96 and 97 they played some knockout/finals games between the BRL clubs leading up to the BRL GF.

This was all done of course after the QLD Cup final was done and dusted.

I remember being at Kougari Oval on the day that the Princess died in 97. It was for a Wynnum v Norths match and I'm sure it was one of those BRL knockout games.

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Wynnum lost 10-16 that day in the BRL Semi. They had already lost three Q Cup finals matches that season and missed the GF after being Minor Premiers.

I believe that was the same day as the Crushers last ever match.

Stewbum

Juniors
Wynnum lost 10-16 that day in the BRL Semi. They had already lost three Q Cup finals matches that season and missed the GF after being Minor Premiers.

I believe that was the same day as the Crushers last ever match.
I was at the Crushers game. They defeated Wests to knock Wests out of the finals.

I liked the BRL final and playoffs. Just play it on the Saturday of the NRL grand final if a Country team wins the Q Cup. That way the National championship game goes ahead as well.

Latest posts