What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Effectiveness

Springs09

Juniors
Gus talks about evenness and spread of talent here:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...kFjy9msazy7n-DCM_y8MTL95ZCfWT7qZehtjjqaba_r8Q

I don't think there is a lack of talent in the NRL, I think there's more than enough to warrant more sides, but the talent certainly is emanating towards the top sides.

Also this quote:
“I pointed to the fact you’ve got Bennett, Stuart, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler. Give them the bottom five teams, in three years’ time they’ll rise to the top.”

Is just LOL. This is the third time Ricky has made the finals in the last 12 years he's coached. Bennett had 3 years at the knights and left them f**ked. Bellamy and Robinson are untested outside of their current clubs.

adamkungl

Immortal
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...kFjy9msazy7n-DCM_y8MTL95ZCfWT7qZehtjjqaba_r8Q

I don't think there is a lack of talent in the NRL, I think there's more than enough to warrant more sides, but the talent certainly is emanating towards the top sides.

Also this quote:
“I pointed to the fact you’ve got Bennett, Stuart, Bellamy, Robinson, Hasler. Give them the bottom five teams, in three years’ time they’ll rise to the top.”

Is just LOL. This is the third time Ricky has made the finals in the last 12 years he's coached. Bennett had 3 years at the knights and left them f**ked. Bellamy and Robinson are untested outside of their current clubs.

Bennett had Knights in the top 4 until Tinkler's house of cards started falling apart.

Also lol if you don't think Bellamy and Robinson couldn't win games with the rosters Dragons Cows and Warriors had this year

Springs09

Juniors
Bennett had Knights in the top 4 until Tinkler's house of cards started falling apart.

Also lol if you don't think Bellamy and Robinson couldn't win games with the rosters Dragons Cows and Warriors had this year

Bennett never had the Knights in the top 4. He got them to the prelims from 7th. Other 2 years they were shithouse all year.

I didn't say they couldn't I said they are untested. Lol if you think good coach = automatic win.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I had been working on a points based system which is based on experience and rep level appearances.

It's not too bad, but one club has broken it just for this season (Roosters) and I can't see a way around it.

George Piggins floated the idea years ago but it was rejected

Vic Mackey

Referee

The one time Robinson had a side that only had half a team of Origin players instead of a full one he came 15th

At the end of 2017 a heap of Roosters fans on here wanted him sacked, then he bought the Australian Halfback and fullback and now all of a sudden he’s the worlds greatest coach

adamkungl

Immortal
The one time Robinson had a side that only had half a team of Origin players instead of a full one he came 15th

We had a whooole basket of problems in 2016. Our team for a good chunk of the year was closer to half a first grade side than half an Origin side.
In 2017 with Keary and Gordon being the only noteworthy additions we finished 2nd on the ladder and made the prelims.

Regardless, no coach is gonna go their entire career without hitting a snag, good coaches learn from it average ones keep repeating them.

But that's not really the point here.
For arguments sake lets forget Robinson, pretend he's a nobody and has fluked and brown paper bagged his way to the top.

Could Bellamy take Titans from the bottom to the top in 3 years? I reckon so. Obviously good coaches matter, otherwise no one would bother.

Bennett's already proved it. Dragons won a premiership under Bennett after years of underachieving, Knights went deep in the finals - and could have stayed up there given a functional club environment for more than 5 seconds. Broncos Bennett round 2 improved significantly from Hook straight to another GF.
Bennett would improve any club he walks into.

Des is a strange one. Took Dogs to a Grand Final, than tanked them, now has improved Manly out of sight. I'd say more successes than failures. If he can improve Manly with the squad they have this year, he can improve anyone.

Vic Mackey

Referee
We had a whooole basket of problems in 2016. Our team for a good chunk of the year was closer to half a first grade side than half an Origin side.
In 2017 with Keary and Gordon being the only noteworthy additions we finished 2nd on the ladder and made the prelims.

Regardless, no coach is gonna go their entire career without hitting a snag, good coaches learn from it average ones keep repeating them.

But that's not really the point here.
For arguments sake lets forget Robinson, pretend he's a nobody and has fluked and brown paper bagged his way to the top.

Could Bellamy take Titans from the bottom to the top in 3 years? I reckon so. Obviously good coaches matter, otherwise no one would bother.

Bennett's already proved it. Dragons won a premiership under Bennett after years of underachieving, Knights went deep in the finals - and could have stayed up there given a functional club environment for more than 5 seconds. Broncos Bennett round 2 improved significantly from Hook straight to another GF.
Bennett would improve any club he walks into.

Des is a strange one. Took Dogs to a Grand Final, than tanked them, now has improved Manly out of sight. I'd say more successes than failures. If he can improve Manly with the squad they have this year, he can improve anyone.

The squad you had in 16 shits on, for example, the Titans squad that year, which finished 8th.

I’m not saying Robinson’s a bad coach, I’m saying it’s hard to judge when he’s in control of a side that can buy the 2 best players in the comp for their position after his sides come second. Like I said the one time he didn’t have a team of absolute superstars every week he got shown up.

Similar to Maguire, he’s only ever been in charge of powerhouse sides. The real test for him will be he’s Wests contract. At least we’ll know now though.

I agree re Bellamy.

Bennett’s a tricky one. Similar to Robinson he had basically the QLD Origin side for years. Realistcly every year the broncos don’t win the comp is a failure. Is 5 in 23 years considered a success? I suppose it has to be.

At Saints he had a side that you say had under achieved, yet had made the finals what 8 of the last 10 years? remember he only got them there once the Storm got kicked out of the comp, 2010 will always have a bit of an * next to it for mine.

Knights scraped into 7th, just beat two injury riddled teams then got comprehensively belted in the Prelim. They didn’t get near the finals the 2 other years.

Des absolutely belongs in that category. He is also one of the only coaches who can change the style of play depending on what team he has. All the other guys seem to have one way of coaching. Des coaches to his players strengths.

TheFrog

Coach

Also this quote:

I'd say Bellamy could turn any club into a powerhouse, he's proven it for over 15 years without buying topline players. Bennett is also a proven commodity over decades, but has tended to have quality personnel more often than not. Hasler can do it for 2 or 3 years but his methods tend to wear thin and he has to move on. Robinson needs the very best players at his disposal, he's unproven with an average roster, and Sticky has had some quality teams in his career only to fail miserably.

Panther Pete

Juniors
This is the funniest thread I have ever read, Roosters fans trying their best to convince us they aren’t rorting the cap.

fowlster

Juniors
This is the funniest thread I have ever read, Roosters fans trying their best to convince us they aren’t rorting the cap.

Nice of you to take a break from sniffing children's bicycle seats to chime in.

But the next time you post, for everyone's sake, leave it blank.

Valheru

Coach
Well, if memory serves, in 2013 most of you on here said we wouldn’t make the eight never mind winning. So there’s that at least.

2013 was glorious

At the start of the season sonny bill was a has been, James Maloney wasn't a big game player, Jennings had lost his speed, lol @ Mitchell Pearce, JWH was a pea heart and who the f**k are Trent Robinson, Daniel Tupou and RTS.

By July of that year the roster couldn't possibly fit under the cap, it just wasn't fair.

The narrative regarding robbo is amusing. The positive of him being so bad is that no one else could possibly want him so we should have no trouble keeping him.