What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MugaB

Coach
Since the NRL started we’ve had 98, 03, 05, 11, 14, 15 without Storm and Roosters

However I think every team in the comp has been in the grand final since the NRL began besides the Titans so it’s still pretty good and is a lot better than a lot of top sporting leagues in the world, and take it from a former EPL fan that league is abysmal and so is every top soccer league in Europe, money has destroyed that game and the competitive parity is non existent.

Also even though Storm and Roosters have been in a lot of Grand Finals, how many have they lost?

2000 - Roosters lose to Brisnane
2003 - Roosters lose to Penrith
2004 - Roosters lose to Bulldogs
2006 - Storm lose to Brisbane
2008 - Storm lose to Manly
2010 - Roosters lose to Dragons
2016 - Storm lose to Cronulla
2018 - Storm lose to Roosters

Not to mention Storm have 2 of their premierships rightfully taken off them (07 and 09)

So yea it could be a lot worse, I do agree TPAs are stupid though and are getting worse, they should not be in the salary cap at all in my opinion.

03 we won against these rorters, i think you meant 01 with newy vs pawwa, and TPA aren't part of the salary cap, they are what keep experienced or marquee players at a certain club for less money effectively creating a superior roster, it hasn't worked at brisbane this year, but there really doesn't seem to be that many TPAs as it once were

kinghippo

Juniors
03 we won against these rorters, i think you meant 01 with newy vs pawwa, and TPA aren't part of the salary cap, they are what keep experienced or marquee players at a certain club for less money effectively creating a superior roster, it hasn't worked at brisbane this year, but there really doesn't seem to be that many TPAs as it once were
I get the feeling Brisbane may be struggling with loosing some of their Tpa’s.
When you hear things like their signing of bird for a reported 900,000 for no set position, if shows they have been taking the extra dollars for granted.

Flashstep

Juniors

Yea you’re right I meant 01

What we need for a more even competition is an official trade mechanism. Clubs like ours that develop a lot of talent would really benefit from it.

Let’s take Jerome Luai & Matt Burton

We probably won’t keep both of these guys long term, but they’re both valuable commodities. If we were allowed to trade away the guy we couldn’t fit in, we could swap them for a player in a position we’re weak.

the Panthers should be hounding the NRL over this.

If a trade policy is rejected then there’s other alternatives that would help us too. Salary cap exemptions for juniors, being able to sell players.

Last edited:
This is gonna get a good response but I’d probably be looking at Woods. Should get him cut price.

Good metre numbers but I prefer if we got a prop that bends the line.
This season we didn't have much trouble getting down the other end, just what to do after that.
A prop with a bit of impact that could off load might add some variety to our attack.

GongPanther

Referee
It is what it is.

I totally understand your comparison with the EPL but at the end of the day, aside from what Leicester City did in 2016, there is more chance of the Gold Coast Titans winning our competition than Southampton or 15 others side winning the EPL.

Still feel for the Leicester City fan who cashed out on his 100 pound bet on them to win the EPL with six rounds to go. Instead of $33,000 pounds he settled for something substantially less, can’t recall the exact figure, he still won but it was a lot less than he the figure above had he had the stomach to go the distance. I would have probably cashed out too for the record.
I saw on BBC (broadcaster) website that a fan got 5,000-1.

Kilkenny

Coach
I saw on BBC (broadcaster) website that a fan got 5,000-1.

Your right. I think at the start of the season you could have got those sort of odds. I think the fan who got the 330/1 odds and risked his 100 pounds was after have a dozen or so games when they made a really good start. As I recall the story was as much about the fan and his life long devotion to Leicester, he was a pensioner in his mid seventies or something.

franklin2323

Immortal
What we need for a more even competition is an official trade mechanism. Clubs like ours that develop a lot of talent would really benefit from it.

Let’s take Jerome Luai & Matt Burton

We probably won’t keep both of these guys long term, but they’re both valuable commodities. If we were allowed to trade away the guy we couldn’t fit in, we could swap them for a player in a position we’re weak.

the Panthers should be hounding the NRL over this.

If a trade policy is rejected then there’s other alternatives that would help us too. Salary cap exemptions for juniors, being able to sell players.

Even a % extra on the cap of each player developed to go elsewhere. Something is needed the change it

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
It is such an incredible disadvantage that we sacrifice competitive seasons to develop players and when finally the players aren’t raw, clubs that took advantage of us being weaker take them.

Signing juniors to long term deals or short term deals as we’re doing now is the equivalent to choosing between getting knocked down on your face or your back. Systemic change is needed, but let’s be honest, does anyone here really think the NRL will do something pro-us?

Status
Not open for further replies.