What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Part 2

Inability to accept shortcomings and demonstrate leadership

Andrew Webster recently wrote about the Dragons ‘season from hell’, noting the de Belin and Widdop issues, but also questioning some of the other excuses offered.

For a period McGregor’s press conferences became a catchphrase bingo as he noted the opposition scored tries from kicks (as if they don’t count) among other odd pronouncements.

In April after losing to the Roosters, McGregor repeatedly referred to them as ‘the best team in the world’.

In June he said that ‘If we stop the game after 30 minutes we’re in the top four’.

In July he said the team had “next level distractions and no element of luck”.

When the team had slid to 14th McGregor declared that “we can win [the comp]”.

McGregor is well supported by a revolving cast of assistants who appear to take the fall for the team’s results.

In addition to Demetriou and Head being moved on despite their success, reports are that Ben Hornby, Mick Crawley and maybe Dean Young are also on their way out after 2019.

They join the numerous other backroom staff that the Dragons have cycled through in the McGregor years. Across town, Trent Robinson supported the ambitious Adam O’Brien’s interest in the top job at Newcastle, saying “That’s what head coaches are there for. We are there to develop and progress, and he is good enough for the job.” The difference in leadership philosophy and respect is stark.

Throughout 2019 there has been a deafening silence from the Dragons CEO and board as records tumbled.

The club made prominent noises about a Gould review late in the season, only for it to appear to be a sham. The press release noted that Gould had ‘agreed to take part in aspects’ of the review.

Gould later acknowledged he was not being paid, and was involved “as a favour to Dragons coach and good friend Paul McGregor, who will not be under pressure.”

The Dragons are crumbling with McGregor at the helm.

Removing responsibilities has not worked and nor has cycling through assistants. For the sake of the fans, I hope that there is more happening behind the scenes than it appears.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/24/sorry-mary-its-time-to-go/

Dragsters

First Grade
Part 2

Inability to accept shortcomings and demonstrate leadership

Andrew Webster recently wrote about the Dragons ‘season from hell’, noting the de Belin and Widdop issues, but also questioning some of the other excuses offered.

For a period McGregor’s press conferences became a catchphrase bingo as he noted the opposition scored tries from kicks (as if they don’t count) among other odd pronouncements.

In April after losing to the Roosters, McGregor repeatedly referred to them as ‘the best team in the world’.

In June he said that ‘If we stop the game after 30 minutes we’re in the top four’.

In July he said the team had “next level distractions and no element of luck”.

When the team had slid to 14th McGregor declared that “we can win [the comp]”.

McGregor is well supported by a revolving cast of assistants who appear to take the fall for the team’s results.

In addition to Demetriou and Head being moved on despite their success, reports are that Ben Hornby, Mick Crawley and maybe Dean Young are also on their way out after 2019.

They join the numerous other backroom staff that the Dragons have cycled through in the McGregor years. Across town, Trent Robinson supported the ambitious Adam O’Brien’s interest in the top job at Newcastle, saying “That’s what head coaches are there for. We are there to develop and progress, and he is good enough for the job.” The difference in leadership philosophy and respect is stark.

Throughout 2019 there has been a deafening silence from the Dragons CEO and board as records tumbled.

The club made prominent noises about a Gould review late in the season, only for it to appear to be a sham. The press release noted that Gould had ‘agreed to take part in aspects’ of the review.

Gould later acknowledged he was not being paid, and was involved “as a favour to Dragons coach and good friend Paul McGregor, who will not be under pressure.”

The Dragons are crumbling with McGregor at the helm.

Removing responsibilities has not worked and nor has cycling through assistants. For the sake of the fans, I hope that there is more happening behind the scenes than it appears.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/09/24/sorry-mary-its-time-to-go/

Yet again, it seems blatantly obvious that agenda-free journalism is solely the bastion of fringe media outlets.

Thank you for telling it like it is, the roar...

getsmarty

Immortal
veronica-white_20190925.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Kezie Apps named among finalists for inaugural Veronica White Medal
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 25 Sep 2019, 04:15 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Four of rugby league's biggest names have been shortlisted for the inaugural Veronica White Medal for their contributions to local communities.

Australian Jillaroos representatives Ali Brigginshaw (Broncos), Simaima Taufa (Roosters) and Kezie Apps (Dragons) join Warriors and Kiwi Ferns superstar Honey Hireme as finalists for the award, with the winner to be announced on grand final day at ANZ Stadium on October 6.

The Veronica White Medal was unveiled by the NRL in June and is a direct equivalent to the men's Ken Stephen Medal.

White has been involved in rugby league as a player, coach and administrator for more than 25 years. The Ipswich local was chosen from more than 60 nominations to have the medal named in her honour.

"This medal in her honour is well deserved and I want to call out not only our four finalists, but all of our players, coaches and volunteers that support the same game, our way, amongst thousands of communities throughout Australia and New Zealand," NRL General Manager of the Elite Women's Program Tiffany Slater said.

kezzie-apps-and-ali-brigginshaw_190522_0049.jpg

Origin captains Kezie Apps and Ali Brigginshaw. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"When we announced that there would be a Veronica White Medal, I knew it would be a tough decision to select four finalists from across the elite female playing group, as every single one of them go out of their way to not only encourage junior female participation, but support local community projects for good."

Broncos captain Brigginshaw has been recognised for her work at the club as a Beyond the Broncos ambassador, where she spends time mentoring young Indigenous students.

She also regularly volunteers to take part in club visits to local children's hospitals and recently hosted the NRL's In League in Harmony event in Brisbane.

Taufa is a community project officer at the Sydney Roosters on a full-time basis while juggling her training and match commitments.

She delivers key messages as an accredited NRL State of Mind advocate and voice against violence co-deliverer, visiting more than 6,000 primary and secondary school students across Australia in 2019.

Apps is in a similar role as Taufa on a part-time basis at the Dragons and is also an ambassador for a number of organisations including the Fight Cancer Foundation, who launch and promote Footy Colours Day during the month of September.

Moments That Matter

Her most memorable community work this year was her budding relationship with 12-year-old cancer survivor Molly Croft during the State of Origin period.

The final nominee, Hireme, needs no introduction to the game. Hireme has not featured for the Warriors in the NRLW competition this season as she continues to care for her ill mother in Hamilton.

But her services to the game are second to none. A player-coach for club team Hamilton Tigers, Hireme dedicates hours of her free time every week to develop pathways that could eventually lead to the NZ Warriors' NRL Holden Women’s Premiership team.

Hireme is employed as an adviser to the Halberg Foundation which aims to enhance the lives of physically disabled New Zealanders away from the paddock.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...finalists-for-inaugural-veronica-white-medal/

getsmarty

Immortal
Veronica White Medal finalists announced
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Wed 25 Sep 2019, 04:15 PM

Ali Brigginshaw (Broncos), Kezie Apps (Dragons), Simaima Taufa (Roosters) and Honey Hireme (Warriors) have today been announced as the inaugural Veronica White Medal finalists – a reciprocal Medal to the Ken Stephen Medal.

All four finalists were selected by the current NRLW teams for their significant community engagement within local communities.

NRL General Manager of the Elite Women’s Program, Tiffany Slater congratulated all four players on their selection as finalists for the very first Medal of its kind.

“When we announced that there would be a Veronica White Medal, I knew it would be a tough decision to select four finalists from across the elite female playing group, as every single one of them go out of their way to not only encourage junior female participation, but support local community projects for good,” Ms Slater said.

“Veronica was – and still is – a significant role model within our game, having spent more than 25 years involved in various roles helping grow the game of women’s rugby league, whilst supporting community programs and empowering young females to strive for success.

“This Medal in her honour is well deserved and I want to call out not only our four finalists, but all of our players, coaches and volunteers that support the same game, our way, amongst thousands of communities throughout Australia and New Zealand.”

The Veronica White Medal will be awarded and celebrated on Grand Final day, following the NRL Holden Women’s Premiership.

For an overview of the Veronica White Medal, a list of this year’s inaugural finalists and their work within the community, click here.

2019 VERONICA WHITE MEDAL

ABOUT THE MEDAL

For the first time, the NRL have introduced an equivalent to the Ken Stephen Medal for the NRL Holden Women's Premiership. This new award will recognise the incredible contributions that so many female rugby league players are making to their local communities and beyond.

Each of the four NRL clubs participating in the NRL Holden Women's Premiership have nominated one player based on their community efforts. Criteria for the Veronica White Medal is in line with the Ken Stephen Medal, with the eventual female recipient having demonstrated their commitment to making a difference in their local community, whilst playing rugby league at an elite level throughout the year.

2019 FINALISTS

The 2019 Veronica White Medallist will be announced following the 2019 NRL Holden Women’s Premiership Grand Final in Sydney. A panel of experts from across the game will selected the eventual winner.

Ali Brigginshaw – Brisbane Broncos

Kezie Apps – St George Illawarra Dragons

Simaima Taufa – Sydney Roosters

Honey Hireme – New Zealand Warriors

ABOUT VERONICA WHITE

Former Jillaroo and President of the Australian Women’s Rugby League, Veronica White has been confirmed as the naming recipient of the NRL’s new women’s rugby league community medal, joining the list of NRL Community Awards.

Ms White – a rugby league veteran of more than 20 years – has held numerous coaching and administrations roles within rugby league since 1993. Growing up playing rugby league in her backyard against her four brothers, White quickly gained a love for the game and was the first female player from Ipswich to represent Australia.

A judging panel, consisting of NRL and State representatives, made the final decision to name the medal after Veronica, following more than 60 nominations being whittled down to a short-list of 25 finalists.

FINALIST BIOS

Ali Brigginshaw – Brisbane Broncos

Ali Brigginshaw is at the top of her game on the field, captaining the Brisbane Broncos to the inaugural NRL Holden Women’s Premiership as well as captaining Queensland and Australia. But it is her desire to help off the field which is the most impressive.

In 2019, Ali has become a Beyond the Broncos Ambassador, spending time in schools mentoring young Indigenous students to be the best they can be and take every opportunity that comes their way.

Growing up in Ipswich, Ali has a passion to give back to the community which supported her. Ali is based in Ipswich and Bremer State High Schools when not travelling throughout South East QLD and Northern NSW with the Beyond the Broncos team.

Ali is first to put her hand up for any community visit, including visiting the Queensland Children’s Hospital with fellow captain Darius Boyd, selling magazines on the street for The Big Issue and hosting the NRL’s In League in Harmony at the Broncos Leagues Club. Ali spoke to students on how she struggled being the only female playing rugby league as a child, and wouldn’t be where she was today without the acceptance of her male teammates who made her feel like she belonged. This inclusion is the driving force behind her success, and she wants to share this message of inclusion far and wide.

Ali understands the influence she has on not only young female athletes, but anyone who is struggling to overcome barriers. Her day to day work involves inspiring young Indigenous female students, but she doesn’t clock off when the bell rings at school. The impact she had on the young students at Walloon State School has inspired them to continue to play sport, and not let anything or anyone stand in their way.

Kezie Apps – St George-Illawarra Dragons

St George Illawarra Dragons’ second-rower Kezie Apps is one of the most decorated and recognisable players both on and off the field.

The second-ever Dally M Female Player of the Year (2016) is a Dragons Ambassador and has spent the past three years working with the club’s community team. Kezie played a crucial role in the Dragons securing a place in the NRL Holden Women's Premiership and was a member of the Dragons' inaugural squad. This year, Kezie was named captain of the Harvey Norman NSW Women's Origin team.

Kezie has a rare talent for connecting with people of all ages. She aims to brighten the room for everyone she comes in contact with and her relationship with Molly Croft through the Men of League Foundation is testament to this.

Because of Kezie’s genuine interest in community, she has been recruited as an ambassador for a range of organisations including Fight Cancer Foundation, Footy Colours Day, NRL Voice Against Violence, Westfund Women in Sport and the Dragons ‘Best You Can Be’ program.

In 2019, Kezie took up a part-time role as a Dragons Community Officer and has proved herself a role model throughout the club’s region and beyond thanks to her proactive approach. Though, Kezie’s passion for helping others extends well beyond her employment – evident through her support for the ‘Score Dragons’ program, which allows people with disabilities to participate in the local Illawarra competition.

Despite a demanding schedule, Kezie ensure she helps out with training at the Dapto Canaries and Bega Roosters as often as possible and approaches these commitments with just as much dedication as her on-field approach.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/25/veronica-white-medal-finalists-announced/

getsmarty

Immortal
apps_20190925.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Kezie Apps' daily blog: Our training schedule
Author
Kezie Apps
Timestamp
Thu 26 Sep 2019, 10:01 AM

Day 2 - Thursday - Our training schedule
Hi everyone,

I allowed myself a bit of bacon with my eggs this morning as part of my daily nutrition plan. You can find that entry below.

Following on from our talk about nutrition I wanted to take you through our training schedule.

As you would already know, the women's NRLW teams are made up of part-time athletes who could be contracted for only eight weeks throughout the season.

Obviously, one day the goal is to become a full-time professional but for now we'll continue to strive and settle for what we have.

I work during the week as a community officer at the Dragons and am one of the fortunate players that can be a bit flexible around my work commitments and the club is very accommodating in anything I need to be at my best.

A lot of my other teammates don't have the same luxury and work their usual 9-5 jobs before they train while others could work night shift.

They're behind-the-scenes commitments that a lot of people don't necessarily consider but that's part and parcel of being semi-professional for a short space of time.

Why the gym is Rikeya Horne's new 'happy place'

I worked all day Tuesday and Wednesday. I went to physiotherapy on Tuesday at 8am and then headed down to Sanctuary Point public school to talk to Year 6 kids about being the best model of themselves and we all set some goals together.

I had to rush back for training by 5pm where we got started on our preparations ahead of the clash against the Roosters.

On a full night's schedule, we start with a gym session that goes for about 30-40 minutes nice and sharp focusing a lot on upper body strength.

As the above video shows, Rikeya Horne is a weapon in the gym.

Next, we move to do some video on our past performance, which last week was a far better review than the week before.

Our coach Daniel Lacey will take us through a few things as a team and sometimes individually that we need to try and fix up. It's good if some of the girls speak up too.

Then we hit the training paddock, do a bit of warm-up with some fun drills, stretch and then get into a bit of attack and defensive plays.

We also can pair off or get into groups – forwards with the forwards – to work on our own individual games.

Personally, I love everything about training, hanging out with my friends, playing footy, learning and laughing at the same time.

We'll have a much lighter session this afternoon, possibly even just a field session, before a day off tomorrow and captain's run on Saturday.

Kezie

Day 1 - Wednesday - Talking nutrition
Hi everyone, it's Kezie Apps here from the St George Illawarra Dragons.

I’m here for the next five days to give you all an insight into my life as a Holden Women's Premiership player.

We've just come back from our successful trip across to New Zealand and it was great to be able to put together a positive result against the Warriors.

We're now one step away from the NRLW grand final if we can put together another strong performance against the Roosters at Leichhardt on Sunday and I hope to see you there!

I wanted to give you a bit of insight on today's topic - nutrition.

What we put in our bodies at this time of the year is crucial leading into and during the NRLW season.

Generally, I follow the same routine with my diet now as I would out of season. A diet full of healthy nutritious foods helps me be at my best.

kezie-blog.jpg

This morning I had some fried eggs (because I'm hopeless at poaching them) and it depends on how I train the day before whether I have a bit of bacon or not.

We didn't train much yesterday so it was a no-go for me. I had two eggs on a piece of rye bread with avocado.

I make sure to have a couple of snacks in between during the day with fruit, yoghurt, muesli and some nuts. Or some crackers with tuna and avocado if I manage to prepare it in the morning.

For lunch, it varies. I've been eating the 'My Muscle Chef meals', who sponsor our women's team, so we get them a bit cheaper. My personal favourite is the Parmesan crusted chicken with mash potato and peas.

It's not a big portion but eating smaller meals more frequently is the way to go.

I also get asked a lot how much water I consume per day, and again it depends if we're training or not but I try and drink at least two litres.

Sometimes it's hard at this time of the year when it's not as hot and if I don't have a water bottle with me then I struggle to reach my target.

After a game or hard training session I'll have a protein shake to help with my muscle recovery and if I'm feeling like a 'cheat' meal I'll get some Thai food like peanut chicken or if we go to the pub I'm a chicken schnitzel girl.

Match Highlights: Warriors v Dragons

Every other time I cook dinner it's usually just some red meat like steak and vegetables.

It's quick and easy and you don't have to think about it. Sometimes I even get my vegies already cut up, it's heaps lazy but it saves me for later.

OK guys, I’m off to training, but I’ll catch you tomorrow for the next update.

Kezie

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/26/kezie-apps-daily-blog-our-training-schedule/

ViceVersa

Juniors
Tyson Frizell denies he wants to quit the Dragons

Michael Carayannis and Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
September 27, 2019 12:11am

St George Illawarra’s star back-rower Tyson Frizell has again been forced to defend his future at the club after reports surfaced — for the second time in recent months — that he wanted out of the Dragons.

Frizell quashed suggestions this week that he wanted to move on from the Dragons immediately, despite having a year to run on his deal.

This time the representative forward was linked to a potential move to Parramatta.

But Frizell reinforced his commitment to the Red V despite their disastrous 2019.

“I am not looking to get out of my contract at all nor am I unhappy at the club,” Frizell said.

“I have no idea where these rumours come from.”

Frizell extended his stay at the Dragons until next year in 2016. And next year he is on a significant monetary whack.

Frizell has had preliminary discussions with the Dragons about staying beyond next year.

Part of those talks have included Frizell’s management getting a gauge about their client’s potential worth on the open market — which is potentially why news of Frizell wanting out has surfaced.

Frizell was on hand to watch the Dragons’ Canterbury Cup side play at Kogarah Oval on Sunday and was around the club again earlier this week. No one at the Dragons has any indication that Frizell wants out.

Complicating the chances of an early extension is that the Dragons are unsure how much cap space they will have until Jack de Belin’s future is sorted out. De Belin, who will know before round one if he will play again, is also off-contact at the end of next season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/1e9ecdbb807f53ffb5c1460a0e4c92ab

ViceVersa

Juniors
Shane Flanagan close to a deal but Tim Sheens also in Dragons mix

Premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan could be back in gainful employment by the end of next week as St George Illawarra step up their bid to provide greater support to head coach Paul McGregor.

It is understood the Dragons are considering two models as part of a reshaping in their football department — one would involve appointing a coaching director, such as multiple premiership winner Tim Sheens, the other bringing in an experienced assistant like Flanagan.

The latter option seems more likely, although McGregor will have the ultimate say, given his agreement with the club provides him with the power to appoint his football staff.

It is understood Flanagan has been in talks with the Dragons and further discussions are expected to be held in the latter stages of next week, with the potential that the ex-Cronulla coach could join the Dragons in the lead-up to the grand final, if not soon after.

Sources close to the Dragons confirmed the club are also in discussions with some leadership organisations as they look to strengthen their culture following a season of bitter disappointment that has prompted a thorough review of their football operations.

The Dragons remain committed to McGregor, who has two years left to run on his deal, but realise they need to shake things up to ensure there is no repeat of this season, when they finished in 15th spot.

Sheens has been out of the NRL since parting ways with Wests Tigers at the end of 2012. He resumed his coaching career as director of rugby league at Salford in the English Super League before then joining Hull KR, that association coming to an end midway through this year.

He was recently linked with Newcastle but has also popped up on the Dragons’ radar as they contemplate reinforcing their football department with some experienced heads.

Flanagan fits the bill on that front, having been cleared by the NRL to resume his coaching career as an assistant for the next two years. While the NRL cleared him last week to talk to clubs, he is prevented from taking up a job until mid-December.

The developments on the coaching front come amid renewed speculation over the future of backrower Tyson Frizell, who has another year to run on his deal with the Dragons. The Dragons insist they want to keep Frizell and he has indicated he would like to stay, their belief that the speculation has come about because someone close to the NSW and Australian forward has been attempting to get a guide as to his value on the open market before beginning extension talks with St George Illawarra. Rival clubs are free to begin tabling offers to the 27-year-old from November 1.

Meanwhile, Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold has held talks with Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft, as he looks to sign someone capable of guiding his talented team around the park next season. Croft has lost his place in the Melbourne starting side to Jahrome Hughes and, as a result, has been given permission to explore his options on the open market.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...x/news-story/924c6d4e772bba01d083de9fe00ed8ac

getsmarty

Immortal
studdon.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Five things: NRLW Round 3 v Roosters
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 27 Sep 2019, 09:43 AM

The Dragons and Roosters will battle out a historic match on Sunday, when they strive for a place in the 2019 NRLW grand final in the first standalone women's game in Sydney. Here are five things to know about the big day.

History making clash

Is there anything better than two traditional clubs battling it out for a grand final berth at an historic rugby league ground like Leichhardt Oval?

On top of that, Sunday’s match will create history with the first ever standalone NRLW match held in Australia, taking place in rugby league heartland.

With NRL preliminary finals wrapped up by Saturday, this epic clash is the perfect Sunday footy fix while watching two quality teams fight to keep their season alive. Don’t miss your chance to witness history and get your tickets here.

Grand final beckons

All eyes will be on the result of Sunday's clash with a place in the 2019 NRLW grand final on the line.

After two rounds of the competition, all teams are still a chance of qualifying for the final to be held prior to the NRL grand final next week.

A Broncos victory against the Warriors on Saturday will leave the Dragons and Roosters to fight it out for the remaining spot. While a Warriors victory will mean only the Dragons can advance on for-and-against with a victory over the Tricolours. Either way, only a loss and for-and-against can prevent the Dragons from reaching the grand final.

New South Wales on show

As many as 15 players from the recent NSW Blues women’s squad will take the field at Leichhardt Oval in the all star clash.

The Dragons will feature eight players from the successful New South Wales side while the Roosters will contribute seven. Only two players from the team (retired hooker Kylie Hilder and Broncos forward Millie Boyle) won't play on Sunday – although Hilder is the Roosters' assistant coach.

Dragons back-rower Shaylee Bent also served the Blues as 18th woman in the Origin arena.

sergis.jpg

Dragons centre Jessica Sergis in action for the NSW Blues
Playmaking allegiances

Rewind one year and Maddie Studdon and Melanie Howard were playing in the NRLW's maiden year, but under the banner of a different club.

Studdon joined the Dragons from the Roosters this season, while the Roosters signed Howard from the Dragons to fill the void. The swap has paid off the Dragons with Studdon starring in their last start victory against the Warriors.

Studdon produced two try assists, two tackle breaks and three conversions in the Dragons' 26-point victory. While Howard missed last week's game for the Roosters, she re-joins the side to take on her former club. Keep an eye on who claims the bragging rights against their former clubs.

Curtain raiser

Before you witness history, make sure you get there early to watch the best up and coming women's talent in the country as the first-ever combined St George Illawarra Under-18s team take on the Sydney Roosters' Under-18s.

The match kicks off at 11.15am and will feature plenty of talent across the park with the Dragons team featuring all four of the NRLW development players. The clash adds to the spectacle of a full day of high quality and entertaining women's rugby league at Leichardt.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/27/five-things-nrlw-round-3-v-roosters/

getsmarty

Immortal
img_5171.jpg

SCHOOLS RUGBY LEAGUE

Feagai brothers ready to represent Australia
Author
Timestamp
Fri 27 Sep 2019, 11:55 AM

By Andrew Mckaysmith

They grew up watching the Morris twins, but soon the Feagai brothers could be carving their own trail in the NRL with the St George Illawarra Dragons.

That's the dream.

Mathew and Max Feagai are in camp with the Australian Schoolboys getting ready for a Test match against New Zealand Under-19s at Redcliffe on Sunday.

Familial bonds and scholarly ties unite the brothers Feagai. Matthew and Max are students at Illawarra Sports High, and 2019 has been a big year.

Having found a way to balance studies alongside commitments to the New South Wales Under-18s State of Origin team and the Illawarra Steelers' SG Ball premiership-winning team, the Feagai's are gearing up to reprise their roles in the Australian side.

"I feel privileged to be a part of this team, there are a lot of great players here," Mathew said.

"It is extraordinary to represent Australia with my brother; at the start of the year, this was one of our biggest goals to make this team together.

"When I'm arm and arm with my brother with the national anthem playing, I don’t think there will be a greater feeling."

The brothers' parents are thrilled with their accomplishments this season, and they are full of pride to represent the family as much as the jersey they'll be wearing.

"There are five of us brothers and two older sisters," Mathew said.

"I think it was the happiest mum and dad have ever been when we told them we'd made the team. It means a lot for my brothers too."

With the talented duo signed to the Dragons, if the brothers have their way, they’ll be emulating another pair of siblings' in their quest for an NRL berth.

"Max and I want to train full-time with the Dragons first grade [squad]," Mathew said.

"We used to watch the Morris twins and think that it would be cool if that were us.

"Hopefully we can make that dream come true together."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/27/feagai-brothers-ready-to-represent-australia/

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0023.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Under-18s showcase locked in for Leichhardt standalone
Author
Timestamp
Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:06 AM

Women's rugby league fans will get a glimpse of the future this Sunday at Leichhardt Oval when the St George Illawarra Under-18s development team will face their Sydney Roosters counterparts.

There are 17 reasons to hit the inner-west up early to see the young female Dragons strut their stuff, leading into St George Illawarra's NRLW Round 3 clash.

Dragons Women's Premiership development players Filomina Hanisi, Jaime Chapman, and Mareva Swann will lead the way, while the sisters of first graders Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili and Shakiah Tungai –Ryshe and Rhiannon respectively – will also feature.

"Another exciting part of the first-ever standalone NRL Women's Premiership match in Sydney is our Under-18s development team – which is a mixture of our Steelers and St George Tarsha Gale teams," Dragons NRLW coach Daniel Lacey said.

"It gives the fans another chance to head to Leichhardt early and see our up-and-coming talent as well as what the future holds for women's rugby league."

St George Illawarra Under-18s team to face Sydney Roosters' Under-18s –

1. Keele Browne
2. Olivia Vale
3. Jaime Chapman
4. Mikayla Kidd
5. Teagan Berry
6. Riley Scott
7. Tiana Graham
8. Filomina Hanisi
8. Rhiannon Tungai
10. Eleni Amone
11. Chantel Tugaga
12. Anastacia Shum-Cottrell
13. Mareva Swann.

Interchange:

14. Holly Gatt
15. Nancy Misa
16. Ryshe Fasavalu-Fa'amausili
17. Emily Curtain

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/28/under-18s-showcase-locked-in-for-leichhardt-standalone/

getsmarty

Immortal
220919nrl-women50.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRLW 24-hour warning: Round 3 v Roosters
Author
Timestamp
Sat 28 Sep 2019, 01:08 PM

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 3 NRL Holden Women's Premiership clash against the Sydney Roosters at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, September 29.

Sarah Togatuki is the only player to drop out given, the Dragons only named 20 women initially on Tuesday.

NRL Women's Premiership squad for Round 3 v Sydney Roosters –

1. Botille Vette-Welsh – sponsored by TripADeal
2. Stephanie Mooka
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Tiana Penitani – sponsored by St.George Bank
5. Shakiah Tungai– sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by EFEX
7. Maddie Studdon
8. Ngatokotoru Arakua
9. Brittany Breayley – sponsored by Westfund Health Insurance
10. Maitua Feterika
11. Kezie Apps (c) – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Shaylee Bent
13. Holli Wheeler

Interchange:
14. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by CBC
15. Takilele Katoa – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
16. Maddison Weatherall
17. Najvada George
19. Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili
20. Lexi Kiriwi

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/28/nrlw-24-hour-warning-round-3-v-roosters/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
From the mornings' SMH........... Danny Weldier.

Gus doesn't want Dragons job
So will Phil ‘‘Gus’’ Gould be the Dragons coaching director?

St George Illawarra have the budget in their coaching set-up to make it happen but say they have not asked Gould to do the job.

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL 2019
Review finds Dragons need trusted advisor – someone like Gus
But there will be a new assistant. Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is set to get that job, although Storm assistant Jason Ryles is highly regarded.

Gould doesn’t need a job and certainly is not applying for one. Gould did the review at the request of Dragons coach Paul McGregor, who wanted a fresh set of eyes to look at the entire process. The Dragons say Gould was offered payment but declined.

Gould presented his review to McGregor and chief executive Brian Johnston. He did not present anything to the board. It is up to Johnston and McGregor to present to the board and to make decisions on the future of the club.

The club is expected to announce their restructure in the coming days. But McGregor is safe.

Dragsters

First Grade

St George Illawarra have the budget in their coaching set-up to make it happen but say they have not asked Gould to do the job.

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL 2019
But there will be a new assistant. Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan is set to get that job, although Storm assistant Jason Ryles is highly regarded.

Gould doesn’t need a job and certainly is not applying for one. Gould did the review at the request of Dragons coach Paul McGregor, who wanted a fresh set of eyes to look at the entire process. The Dragons say Gould was offered payment but declined.

Gould presented his review to McGregor and chief executive Brian Johnston. He did not present anything to the board. It is up to Johnston and McGregor to present to the board and to make decisions on the future of the club.

The club is expected to announce their restructure in the coming days. But McGregor is safe.

"Hey Gus, how about this, as an extra layer of security, you present your findings from your review to me and BJ, then we will work out what we will and won't present to the board?"

"Whatever you need, mate..."

getsmarty

Immortal

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL 2019

So that puts to Bed the theory that we have No Money to pay McGregor's contract out and send him on his way.....unfortunately the Board are too stubborn to acknowledge that their Failed experiment is nor working ...6 years and counting....

Latest posts