What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

franklin2323

Immortal
Does anyone see the Panthers' 2020 season being anything other than an utter pile of steaming dung?

I'm genuinely looking for upside - please help!

The kids are always the upside. Just how long it takes them to develop. In the meantime it will be boring footy

OldPanther

Coach
Oldpanther you really are an optimist. and Maloney was not our problem.

I didn't say he was our problem but they are problems he has. I do understand how it'd come across like that the way I wrote it though.

Honestly just trying to spin some positive for that comment from Abacus. In truth I am concerned about next year. For Maloney's faults there are things he does well that we have to make up with rookies and Ivan has a very conservative approach to attacking football.

Kilkenny

Coach
This season, we used a lot of players in excess of 30 most likely, haven’t done a head count, and to take a positive away we rolled down the field pretty well even with an a pack not considered to be amongst the competitions best. Our back three also did a pretty fair job in contributing to our go forward.

Our on going Achilles heel was when we got in our opposition half and 20 metre zone we were basically awful and I put this down to lack of proper attacking structures & coaching. We certainly didn’t have the best players or team but we should have done a lot better over the course of the season given how many tackles we enjoyed inside our opponents 20 which was up there amongst the most in the competition.

We’ve let a lot of players leave and have a lot of roster places to fill so it will be interesting to see if our brains trust did actually have a plan or whether it has been fly by the seats of there pants. We should know the answer to this question in the next month or so.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Teams jump up from the bottom of the ladder to the top all the time. Roosters came 2nd last in 2016 then came 2nd in 2017 after little changes. Canberra similar.

Too volatile of a comp to write off teams.

Kilkenny

Coach
Does anyone see the Panthers' 2020 season being anything other than an utter pile of steaming dung?

I guess this is something you probably have to make your own mind up about and no one on here is going to able to answer that question for you.

I suspect Ivan Cleary and his support staff would, or should, have learnt a lot about what unfolded during 2019 because aside from a rather fortuitous 7 wins on the trot we were basically wooden spoon material.

You can argue the merits of whether we needed a rebuild or not, primarily based on our supposed salary cap predicament, but at the end of the day we didn’t perform anywhere near what we should have done and from my perspective it was more about the coaching, management and strength and conditioning team rather than the players we had at our disposal.

I think we need to wait to see the make up our top 30 roster going into 2020 before we start making space in our trophy cabinet for another wooden spoon because clearly we will be bringing in some fresh players albeit there will be no marquee signings.

I appreciate I haven ‘t been any help but it is the best I can do at this point in time!!!

franklin2323

Immortal
I guess this is something you probably have to make your own mind up about and no one on here is going to able to answer that question for you.

I suspect Ivan Cleary and his support staff would, or should, have learnt a lot about what unfolded during 2019 because aside from a rather fortuitous 7 wins on the trot we were basically wooden spoon material.

You can argue the merits of whether we needed a rebuild or not, primarily based on our supposed salary cap predicament, but at the end of the day we didn’t perform anywhere near what we should have done and from my perspective it was more about the coaching, management and strength and conditioning team rather than the players we had at our disposal.

I think we need to wait to see the make up our top 30 roster going into 2020 before we start making space in our trophy cabinet for another wooden spoon because clearly we will be bringing in some fresh players albeit there will be no marquee signings.

I appreciate I haven ‘t been any help but it is the best I can do at this point in time!!!

The narrative was under achieved during Hook's reign. I think we over achieved given the error, Penalty rate, missed tackles etc.

So I see that as papering over the cracks of how bad we were. Also to me it seemed like it was all put on being Hook's fault.

We just saw a few players show that they deserve some of the blame. So I think that will help get to the bottom of things.

Top 8 should be a realistic goal. I don't think Ivan can coach a team to much more then that BUT only takes a few players to find form and who knows

Dave's mate

Juniors
The narrative was under achieved during Hook's reign. I think we over achieved given the error, Penalty rate, missed tackles etc.

So I see that as papering over the cracks of how bad we were. Also to me it seemed like it was all put on being Hook's fault.

We just saw a few players show that they deserve some of the blame. So I think that will help get to the bottom of things.

Top 8 should be a realistic goal. I don't think Ivan can coach a team to much more then that BUT only takes a few players to find form and who knows
Ok ill go here again (sorry guys). We literally had no gameplan under Hook in a team with a comp winning rep half... the side was going nowhere.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ok ill go here again (sorry guys). We literally had no gameplan under Hook in a team with a comp winning rep half... the side was going nowhere.

No disputing that the flaws in Hook but

2016, 2017, 2018

We were 16th in completion rate. Missed tackles and penalties conceded.. As we this year when a new coach is in.

So I agree it was very slim we would won the comp even if we fixed them due to game plan

But those errors are on the players. The lack of stability in the spine and team generally is on Gus.. All issues you hope are sorted on review of this train wreck of a year

Abacus

Juniors
Thanks to those that responded. Although I can't say any of it lifted my hopes much - particularly putting our trust in Barrett for attack. IMO he's a whinger and an imposter... but I'm happy to be proved wrong through results.

Is it especially tragic that I'm looking at membership options for next year anyway?

TheFrog

Coach

It's going to be a very young side but having a decent dummy half will make a difference. The side can make the 8 but that's probably about it.

maple_69

Bench
Honestly I reckon we need to swallow the rebuild again and view the next two seasons as stepping stones.

The missed tackles, errors, penalties and rubbish attacking structure needs to be resolved before any assembly of players goes anywhere. Attacking structure and missed tackles are what we should address over the next few years.

If we can get some semblance of success there then a core of Cleary, Burton/Luai, Api, Edwards/Staines/Laurie, Blore, Kikau, To’o, Crichton, JFH, Leniu might be in a position to build a threatening side around.

Latest posts