What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St.George Illawarra: 20 year documentary

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I’d say the 70-10 debacle at the MCG sealed Waite’s fate. There were also allegations that he couldn’t adjust to younger players.

Whatever that’s supposed to mean.
There was also some suggestion that his support for Mundine was causing ripples.

Still not a good reason to drop him as coach.

David Waite's win/loss of 56.3% for the JV was very good (only Wayne Bennett's record was better). He took us to two grand finals in 4 seasons. Dally M Coach of the Year in 1996. Went on to become coach of Great Britain.

When making a comparison to Paul McGregor's record, the removal of David Waite makes no sense.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
There was also some suggestion that his support for Mundine was causing ripples.

David Waite's win/loss of 56.3% for the JV was very good (only Wayne Bennett's record was better). He took us to two grand finals in 4 seasons. Dally M Coach of the Year in 1996. Went on to become coach of Great Britain.

When making a comparison to Paul McGregor's record, the removal of David Waite makes no sense.

When did Mundine take off mid flight to pursue boxing? Was it in 2000? If so, Waite’s advocacy would’ve become rather strained very quickly.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When did Mundine take off mid flight to pursue boxing? Was it in 2000? If so, Waite’s advocacy would’ve become rather strained very quickly.
Both happened just weeks apart...

mundine.gif
Sydney, 26 April 2000: Anthony Mundine doesn't show up to training and is reported to be on a flight to USA.
Sydney 2 May 2000: Saints' management have sent a letter today to Anthony Mundine instructing him to front the club's board of directors to explain his reasons for leaving the country. 'Choc' returned to Australia from Honolulu on the morning of May 2 and explained that he simply needed time to 'chill out'. He had a private meeting at Sydney Airport with coach David Waite and father Tony Mundine prior to being swarmed by a large media scrum.

Sydney, 3 May 2000: Anthony Mundine attends meeting with St George Illawarra club officials who have called on Mundine to explain why he left the country without club permission.
After the 15 minute meeting, Mundine immediately announces his retirement from Rugby League. Two days later he announces that he will be pursuing a career in boxing.

d_waite.jpg
Sydney, 30 May 2000: The StGeorge Illawarra board has decided to sack coach, David Waite at the end of the current season.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Both happened just weeks apart...

mundine.gif
Sydney, 26 April 2000: Anthony Mundine doesn't show up to training and is reported to be on a flight to USA.
Sydney 2 May 2000: Saints' management have sent a letter today to Anthony Mundine instructing him to front the club's board of directors to explain his reasons for leaving the country. 'Choc' returned to Australia from Honolulu on the morning of May 2 and explained that he simply needed time to 'chill out'. He had a private meeting at Sydney Airport with coach David Waite and father Tony Mundine prior to being swarmed by a large media scrum.

Sydney, 3 May 2000: Anthony Mundine attends meeting with St George Illawarra club officials who have called on Mundine to explain why he left the country without club permission.
After the 15 minute meeting, Mundine immediately announces his retirement from Rugby League. Two days later he announces that he will be pursuing a career in boxing.

d_waite.jpg
Sydney, 30 May 2000: The StGeorge Illawarra board has decided to sack coach, David Waite at the end of the current season.

I had forgotten the timeline here was literally days apart. Who knows if there was any correlation between the two incidents?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Waite’s achievement in getting a fractured club to a grand final appearance in 1996 can never be understated.

It remains a bloody miracle. If only David Manson knew what constituted a completed tackle, the outcome could’ve been so much sweeter.

David Waite was a great coach. Both 1996 and 1999 he took fractured clubs to the Grand Final. Should never have been sacked.

Would love to hear all these stories from the people involved 20 years on.

TruSaint

Referee
David Waite was a great coach. Both 1996 and 1999 he took fractured clubs to the Grand Final. Should never have been sacked.

Would love to hear all these stories from the people involved 20 years on.

His effort/s in 96 to get that squad together and make the GF against a very very good Manly side are understated.

His effort/s in 96 to get that squad together and make the GF against a very very good Manly side are understated.

Absolutely!

I remember pre-seaon 1996 and we had no players and no sponsor. Remember thinking that we were staring down the barrel of a long season, then as history saw, Super League lost it's appeal, we get our players back, Newman's get on board and we're grand final bound!

Great season.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Can anyone recall there was conflict between Thommo and Andrew Hart over who got to wear the No 11 Jersey? Or was it the 12? Darren Tracey must have been injured at the time.

saints4ever

First Grade
Then there was the bitter rivalry between Bartrim and Treacy who's wives absolutely HATED each other

saints4ever

First Grade
Lee Hookey getting a stripper for his birthday and his father absolutely roasting all Dragons players in there for setting it up.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Wasnt one of the BS reasons for getting rid of Waite for Farrar, that he had coached us for too long or something stupid like that and it was time for a new coach, so they gave us the EGG as a coach...

D4L_Dave

Juniors
Brian Smith left the Dragons at the end of 1995. We finished 7th and all the talk was about how the 6th vs 7th game would likely be Premiers or at least play in the GF due to both teams winning 10 of the last 11 rounds each. We we're beaten by a very dodgy on the bell by Dean Pay running behind 3 players, which would have made an NFL coach proud. They went on to be Premiers thrashing every team on their way. That was the firstof 5 productive Brown/Mundiane years. 1996, to prove my point, we came 7th again but this time went all the way to the GF.

At the end of 1995, the super league was gearing up and all but 4-5 A Grade players signed with Super League clubs, Adelaide had the most. The decision for the club to sign with ARL was not made till the latest possible date at the behest of PHILL GOULD. We we're told we would be looked after, but instead, Gould took Gourley and Barnhill to his Roosters side.

The first two weeks, we fielded reserve grade team plus Coyne and Bartrim. By round 3 all the super league players returned and we picked up Kevin Campiagn. The team we had was largely the same as 1995. David Waite was a good coach but the Brown and Mundaine combo was the biggest part.

In 1999, both Farrer and Waite were told they had 2 seasons as head coach and 2 as an assistant. That is why they had 2 each. After that, the club wanted a new coach, Nathan Brown got the job. I think you will find Brown had a better percentage if you exclude the Knights years than Waite did. I also would say, if you look at what unfolded, Brown would have got us 2010. Bennett wrecked the club, then wrecked the knights then the Broncos

I respect Bennett and Gould, but I would rather both steer clear of the Dragons and they won't be forgiven for their selfish wrecking
Geor post: 13492244, member: 47392"]Absolutely!

I remember pre-seaon 1996 and we had no players and no sponsor. Remember thinking that we were staring down the barrel of a long season, then as history saw, Super League lost it's appeal, we get our players back, Newman's get on board and we're grand final bound!

Great season.[/QUOTE]

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I would like to see that. I have never seen it as a JV or merger. St George is more a brand than anything else, much like a Man U or Real Madrid. So many of our former greats were from Illawarra and I can only imagine that pre Steelers most people there would have followed St George.
Illawarra have always been part of St George’s success. We just need Cronulla to fold and complete the circle.

I'd rather watch "Threads" and "The Day After" on repeat for two days than sit through a 20 Year documentary about SGI, a misbegotten knee-jerk failure of a shotgun marriage if ever there was one,
It reminds me of that old gag "With my looks and your brains we could get together and make a hideous moron".

SEAT 1A

Bench
The 96 season,Tingha's try in 99, his one against Balmain at Leichardt were out of this world and the Bennett years ditto.

The Mary years, hold my beer.