What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judiciary Charges 2019

RWB

Bench
He wasn’t KO’d
But he didn’t pass his HIA

Yes he did. He passed the HIA then the Storm doctors ruled him out of the game with the rib injury he was evidently carrying for the 5 minutes prior to the Keary tackle.

Notice how when Papenhuyzen also layed down after the Tetevano high tackle he wasn't removed from the field for a HIA. Neither were that forceful.

The difference? You tell me....

IMO Storm used it as an opportunity to get him off the field.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Yes he did. He passed the HIA then the Storm doctors ruled him out of the game with the rib injury he was evidently carrying for the 5 minutes prior to the Keary tackle.

Notice how when Papenhuyzen also layed down after the Tetevano high tackle he wasn't removed from the field for a HIA. Neither were that forceful.

Great theory
He was clearly dazed when the swinging arm hit his chin

moffla

Bench

Only storm could be scrutinised for being the victim of a failed HIA

As mentioned he was dazed when he copped the swinging arm.

RWB

Bench
Only storm could be scrutinised for being the victim of a failed HIA

As mentioned he was dazed when he copped the swinging arm.

He didn't fail the HIA, he passed it.

I don't mean to be a dick but it's been said half a dozen times now... why so slow on the uptake?

moffla

Bench
He didn't fail the HIA, he passed it.

I don't mean to be a dick but it's been said half a dozen times now... why so slow on the uptake?
I’m just going by what’s on the NRL website

A fend to the face from Felise Kaufusi on Keary fired up the little five-eighth who first took out a chunk of the edge forward's hair before delivering a swinging arm that could well attract the attention of the match review committee given Kaufusi was sent for an HIA and subsequently failed

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/28...a-solomona-taukeiaho-sin-binned-for-fighting/

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but having been in Sydney for most of the day, reading papers etc I’ve not seen anything to suggest any different.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Are people seriously comparing Burgess hair pull with Keary's? The two are in very different contexts. One is in the motion of a tackle, executed in a split second whilst off balance; one is post a tackle, executed on someone who is not even moving.

The high tackle grading is a different story

I had no issues with the Keary hair pull. Burgess was much worse.

Why wasn’t Luke charged with the swinging arm to the head though ?

no name

Coach
What are you suggesting, you know what Burgess punishment was
Haven’t you been bemoaning the MRC’s lack of consistency?

I’m suggesting that the MRC looked at Burgess’ shot on Moylan, which was eventually downgraded to a grade 1 careless and thought if we give Keary any higher grading, Keary will go for a downgrade and get it.

Do you want consistency with the MRC or do you not?

Because they used a previous incident, the Burgess shot, to judge on a current charge, the Keary shot and applied consistency to come up with a grade 1 careless.

I’m pretty sure everyone else who read my post knew what I was getting at.

mave

Coach

Because they used a previous incident, the Burgess shot, to judge on a current charge, the Keary shot and applied consistency to come up with a grade 1 careless.

Yes please.

Can we get them to apply consistency from round 1 to the GF in 2020.

So we don't end up with SOO players getting fined for gouging, whilst other no-names cop 5 weeks or whatever he got the first time for similar .

Simple stuff like that would be a great start.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The penalties are too stiff in general. I’d rather players sin binned or sent off more and the loading lowered. If we take the keary tackle as an example there is no way it’s worth a 300 base point charge but it was also by definition reckless. There is a small man bias at play too.

People I suppose can put out the argument there should be a small man bias but that goes against the argument of consistency. A bigger player who copped a hand to the face and then went in with a swinging arm on a smaller man would be looking at a much stiffer penalty but could cause more damage

The comparison to the burgess tackle on Moylan is silly imo. Sam was a pretty textbook careless tackle. Reckless shouldn’t just mean bad lol there is a level of intent there.

I don’t want players rubbed out if it can be avoided

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Haven’t you been bemoaning the MRC’s lack of consistency?

I’m suggesting that the MRC looked at Burgess’ shot on Moylan, which was eventually downgraded to a grade 1 careless and thought if we give Keary any higher grading, Keary will go for a downgrade and get it.

I’m pretty sure everyone else who read my post knew what I was getting at.

So the Burgess tackle is the only one used as a yardstick....you’re joking

The MRC have been wildly inconsistent all year. Keary being given a G1 careless is just another example of it

Frailty

First Grade
Keary should have been suspended for his intentional swinging arm.
Burgess should have been suspending for his high tackle on Moylan.

If the NRL want to be serious on head injuries, they need to create penalties that will encourage changing the players' behaviour.

no name

Coach
So the Burgess tackle is the only one used as a yardstick....you’re joking

The MRC have been wildly inconsistent all year. Keary being given a G1 careless is just another example of it
Put your case forward then.
What other grade 2 careless tackles (or higher) are you going to compare the Keary tackle to?

Last edited:

no name

Coach
Yes please.

Can we get them to apply consistency from round 1 to the GF in 2020.

So we don't end up with SOO players getting fined for gouging, whilst other no-names cop 5 weeks or whatever he got the first time for similar .

Simple stuff like that would be a great start.
I 100% agree with you.
The MRC has been terribly inconsistent this year.
But the grading of Keary’s tackle is pretty consistent with the most recent cases.
I believe if it was graded any higher, the inconsistencies we have seen this year would have continued.