What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St.George Illawarra: 20 year documentary

gregstar

Referee
Waite's effort in 1996 for me remains the greatest coaching effort I've seen in rugby league.

We started the season without a CEO, a coach, half the playing roster (only 7 or 9 players attended the first training session and media eulogies (such as Brian Smith's "smell of Newtown statement) proclaiming that as a club, we were basically F*cKed.

For a coach to join on such short notice, make the finals let alone the grand final was astonishing. Even his grand final opponent Bob Fulton said it was the greatest coaching achievement he'd seen.

Despite my hopes on grand final day, I knew we'd struggle to roll Manly but the Ridge / Brown "held" fiasco at the crucial stage before halftime effectively F*cKed the game. I believed then and there because of that moment we were gone.

And I was absolutely spewing & gobsmacked when Waite was rissoled in 2000. I was depressed from that moment until 2005 (but depression returned promptly after the final against the Tigers.)

But overall 1984's loss in the final to Parra & 1999's loss are the most depressing, soul-destroying moments I've had supporting the club. And sadly when we finally won in 2010, I actually was only minimally excited and if anything, only relieved. The disappointments endured over the previous 40 seasons had taken their toll.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Waite's effort in 1996 for me remains the greatest coaching effort I've seen in rugby league.

We started the season without a CEO, a coach, half the playing roster (only 7 or 9 players attended the first training session and media eulogies (such as Brian Smith's "smell of Newtown statement) proclaiming that as a club, we were basically F*cKed.

For a coach to join on such short notice, make the finals let alone the grand final was astonishing. Even his grand final opponent Bob Fulton said it was the greatest coaching achievement he'd seen.

Despite my hopes on grand final day, I knew we'd struggle to roll Manly but the Ridge / Brown "held" fiasco at the crucial stage before halftime effectively F*cKed the game. I believed then and there because of that moment we were gone.

And I was absolutely spewing & gobsmacked when Waite was rissoled in 2000. I was depressed from that moment until 2005 (but depression returned promptly after the final against the Tigers.)

But overall 1984's loss in the final to Parra & 1999's loss are the most depressing, soul-destroying moments I've had supporting the club. And sadly when we finally won in 2010, I actually was only minimally excited and if anything, only relieved. The disappointments endured over the previous 40 seasons had taken their toll.
I remember the ‘96 gf so clearly. Dragon fans were out in force and making their presence felt. Pre-game the ARL had a tribute to Aussie music. As soon as eagle rock came on the atmosphere in the stadium changed. I knew we were screwed then. I had never wanted the Dragons to go to SL more than that moment.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Fair enough. That makes more sense.

Saw him wandering along the waterfront on the Gold Coast about 10 or 12 years ago. It crossed my mind to ask him to come back and coach us.
Funny because I saw Farrar 7 years ago. Even with Price at the helm the thought never crossed my mind to ask him to come back and coach us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Funny because I saw Farrar 7 years ago. Even with Price at the helm the thought never crossed my mind to ask him to come back and coach us.
Waite v Farrar = No contest.

I used to think Farrar's poor coaching record was one of those once in generation things. Surely a coach who has a below average win % wouldn't be tolerated for more then a couple of seasons... well... so I thought....

David Waite 1999-2000: Wins 56%
Andrew Farrar 2000-2002: Wins 42%
Nathan Brown 2003-2008: Wins 53%
Wayne Bennett 2009-2011: Wins 65%
Steve Price 2012-2014: Wins 36%
Paul McGregor 2015-2019: Wins 47%