What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Time On An All New TV General Discussion Thread

T-Boon

Coach
Can virtue signalling bank/corporate ads just f**k off already. Could they fall over themselves more in their subtle messaging (the more subtle it is the cooler they are with the topic right, nothing deliberate here). Just advertise your damn product already.

mackdadday

Juniors
What is the best new show you saw this year? For me İt's The Righteous Gemstones. Hilarious. Great cast. I was happy to see One-punch man come back as well after five years.

Timbo

Staff member
Schitt$ Creek.

This has been popping up in my Netflix queue for years and I’ve completely ignored it because I assumed that it was just a one-shot joke.

It’s so, so, so good. 80% Parks and Rec crossed with 20% Northern Exposure.

It’s also incredibly wholesome, whilst being hilarious. If you’re missing Parks and Rec, this is your show - NB, much like Parks and Rec, the first few eps are a bit bumpy before it finds its stride. Once it gets into Season 2, it’s amazing.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Schitt$ Creek.

This has been popping up in my Netflix queue for years and I’ve completely ignored it because I assumed that it was just a one-shot joke.

It’s so, so, so good. 80% Parks and Rec crossed with 20% Northern Exposure.

It’s also incredibly wholesome, whilst being hilarious. If you’re missing Parks and Rec, this is your show - NB, much like Parks and Rec, the first few eps are a bit bumpy before it finds its stride. Once it gets into Season 2, it’s amazing.

Unless it has Ron Swanson on it don’t dare compare it to P&R

1C0EEC3E-BF52-434D-8FE1-A560E19079A8.jpeg

mackdadday

Juniors
I take my hat off to and grovvel at the feet of whomever recommended Mr Inbetween. Binged season 1 last night. What a great combo of violence, humour, drama and just bloody good acting. So happy i watched this just as season 2 has kicked off. Only 6 episodes at abot 23 minutes each so its very watchable when you have a spare eve.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I take my hat off to and grovvel at the feet of whomever recommended Mr Inbetween. Binged season 1 last night. What a great combo of violence, humour, drama and just bloody good acting. So happy i watched this just as season 2 has kicked off. Only 6 episodes at abot 23 minutes each so its very watchable when you have a spare eve.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I’m now prepared to say it... Mr Inbetween is probably the best Aussie show I have ever seen.. period

It is as well written, produced, acted as any Yank or Pommy show on television

Fkn brilliant, I’m waiting for season 2 to finish so I can binge

mackdadday

Juniors
Watching Happy! season 2. They havent lost a step. Still absolutely insane. Sonny Shine and Smoothy are awesome villians.

Timbo

Staff member
Did anyone ever get into Halt and Catch Fire? I was looking for a new show and spotted it browsing through Foxtel Go.

Sort of like Mad Men, but set during the tech revolution in the 80s. And nobody watched it, so it's only got 40 episodes. I'm really enjoying it so far though.

Matua

Bench
Did anyone ever get into Halt and Catch Fire? I was looking for a new show and spotted it browsing through Foxtel Go.

Sort of like Mad Men, but set during the tech revolution in the 80s. And nobody watched it, so it's only got 40 episodes. I'm really enjoying it so far though.
I think it's a great show, it along with The Americans are probably the two best dramas for me since The Wire/Sopranos era (I only ever found Breaking Bad a decent show and am genuinely surprised by how it took off).

mackdadday

Juniors
Started a bunch of new shows this week.

Fleabag - first episode was uncomfortably funny. Checked it out because it one the best show emmy.
Schitts Creek - Getting better by the episode
Family Guy and South Park season premieres were both hilarious
Watched the new new Kristen Wigg/Maya Rudolph cartoon's Bless the Harts premiere episode. Not even a slight chuckle. Surely such a good cast is going to do better than this in following episodes.
Also watched the first episode of Fresh Off the Boat. Will give it a burl as i love the main guy in it in whatever he's in such as The Interview.
Cant wait for Rick and Morty and Bojack coming back in the next few weeks.

Timbo

Staff member
Lodge 49.

This show is straight up bizarre, but I can’t stop watching. Every episode so far has been amazing.

Springs09

Juniors
Started a few new series.

Swamp Thing - the DC show they created for their streaming service that was cancelled after 1 episode. Was pretty good I thought. None of the cheesiness of the CW shows.

Watchmen - battles with Batwoman for worst first episode of the year. WTF are they on about. A show about racial politics (of course) with the only real connections to the original novel being superficial nods - watches, cyanide pill, the owlship etc. though I did like the squids. Pure HBO tosh. Hopefully it gets better.

elyod138

Bench
I thought the first Watchmen episode was great, one of the best pilots I've seen. It captures the tone of the graphic novel a lot better than the movie did, despite being more of a sequel with completely original material.

I don't think the nods were superficial either, the original novel is canon and several of the original characters are in the show with big roles to play.

It wouldn't be Watchmen without politics and it doesn't really make sense for the show to be about the Cold War these days, racial politics is probably the most pertinent issue they could have chosen to base the show around.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors
I thought the first Watchmen episode was great, one of the best pilots I've seen. It captures the tone of the graphic novel a lot better than the movie did, despite being more of a sequel with completely original material.

I don't think the nods were superficial either, they were thematic. Also, the original novel is canon and several of the original characters are in the show with big roles to play. It wouldn't really make sense for the show to be about the Cold War these days, race politics is probably the most pertinent issue they could have chosen to base the show around. It just wouldn't be Watchmen without politics.

Could not disagree more. The pilot had next to nothing to do with the original novel.

There's plenty of modern global political issues they could include, especially with it being alternate history. But instead its just smalltown white supremacist rubbish we've seen a thousand times before. No point including political relations between US-Russia or US-China/North Korea when we can have 10 year old racist kids commenting about reparations.

Also, while racial politics might be a big issue, the white supremacy angle is about as relevant as the cold war. KKK, Neo-Nazis etc. are not anywhere near as big an issue as in the 60s.

Hopefully when Dr Manhattan comes back there might be something more interesting than the same racism and police brutality themes we've seen so much in the last decade.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I’m now prepared to say it... Mr Inbetween is probably the best Aussie show I have ever seen.. period

It is as well written, produced, acted as any Yank or Pommy show on television

Fkn brilliant, I’m waiting for season 2 to finish so I can binge
100% on the money .
I thought season 1 was exceptional
Now watched a few eps of Season 2
Jesus it's even better ...

Latest posts