What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand finalists in the NRL vs AFL for the last 21 Years....

getsmarty

Immortal
Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Storm
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

21 seasons.
Both clubs combined have made the grand final 17 times.Compare this to the AFL

Premiership Winners
Year
Premiership Team Runner-Up
2019 Richmond GWS

2018 West Coast Collingwood
2017 Richmond Adelaide
2016 Western Bulldogs Sydney Swans
2015 Hawthorn West Coast
2014 Hawthorn Sydney Swans
2013 Hawthorn Fremantle Dockers
2012 Sydney Swans Hawthorn
2011 Geelong Collingwood
2010 Collingwood St Kilda
2009 Geelong St Kilda
2008 Hawthorn Geelong
2007 Geelong Port Adelaide
2006 West Coast Sydney Swans
2005 Sydney Swans West Coast
2004 Port Adelaide Brisbane Lions
2003 Brisbane Lions Collingwood
2002 Brisbane Lions Collingwood
2001 Brisbane Lions Essendon
2000 Essendon Melbourne
1999 North Melbourne Carlton

Clearly the AFL Model is a much Fairer model.....

What a wonderfully diverse comp.
I look forward to the diversity of the next 21 seasons as well.

P.S Thanks Gregstar for supplying the info.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Storm
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

21 seasons.
Both clubs combined have made the grand final 17 times.Compare this to the AFL

Premiership Winners
Year
Premiership Team Runner-Up
2019 Richmond GWS

2018 West Coast Collingwood
2017 Richmond Adelaide
2016 Western Bulldogs Sydney Swans
2015 Hawthorn West Coast
2014 Hawthorn Sydney Swans
2013 Hawthorn Fremantle Dockers
2012 Sydney Swans Hawthorn
2011 Geelong Collingwood
2010 Collingwood St Kilda
2009 Geelong St Kilda
2008 Hawthorn Geelong
2007 Geelong Port Adelaide
2006 West Coast Sydney Swans
2005 Sydney Swans West Coast
2004 Port Adelaide Brisbane Lions
2003 Brisbane Lions Collingwood
2002 Brisbane Lions Collingwood
2001 Brisbane Lions Essendon
2000 Essendon Melbourne
1999 North Melbourne Carlton

Clearly the AFL Model is a much Fairer model.....

What a wonderfully diverse comp.
I look forward to the diversity of the next 21 seasons as well.

P.S Thanks Gregstar for supplying the info.

NRL Premiers

2018 Sydney Roosters
2017 Melbourne Storm
2016 Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
2015 North Queensland Cowboys
2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs
2013 Sydney Roosters
2012 Melbourne Storm
2011 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2010 St. George Illawarra Dragons
2009 Melbourne Storm (stripped)
2008 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2007 Melbourne Storm (stripped)
2006 Brisbane Broncos
2005 Wests Tigers
2004 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
2003 Penrith Panthers
2002 Sydney Roosters
2001 Newcastle Knights
2000 Brisbane Broncos
1999 Melbourne Storm

Melbourne - 5 (2 stripped)
Roosters - 3
Manly - 2
Brisbane - 2
Cronulla - 1
Cowboys - 1
Souths - 1
Dragons - 1
Tigers - 1
Bulldogs - 1
Penrith - 1
Knights - 1

11 different Premiers in this period

AFL Premiers
2018 West Coast
2017 Richmond
2016 Western Bulldogs
2015 Hawthorn
2014 Hawthorn
2013 Hawthorn
2012 Sydney Swans
2011 Geelong
2010 Collingwood
2009 Geelong
2008 Hawthorn
2007 Geelong
2006 West Coast
2005 Sydney Swans
2004 Port Adelaide
2003 Brisbane Lions
2002 Brisbane Lions
2001 Brisbane Lions
2000 Essendon
1999 North Melbourne

Hawthorn - 4
Geelong - 3
Brisbane - 3
Sydney - 2
West Coast - 2
Richmond - 1 (+2019)
Bulldogs - 1
Collingwood - 1
Port - 1
Essendon - 1
North - 1

10 different premiers in this period

Just goes to show you can angle any argument in you favour if you use the correct numbers, both competitions are good and a lot better than things like EPL where the top few clubs win everything.
One little thing that gets missed regarding the competition models though, Swans and Brisbane (Also now Suns and GWS) received more money on the salary cap from the AFL (Living away allowance) than what the Storm were over that cost them 2 premierships, so I know which competition has more integrity.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Premiers
2018 Sydney Roosters
2017 Melbourne Storm
2016 Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
2015 North Queensland Cowboys
2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs
2013 Sydney Roosters
2012 Melbourne Storm
2011 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2010 St. George Illawarra Dragons
2009 Melbourne Storm (stripped)
2008 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2007 Melbourne Storm (stripped)
2006 Brisbane Broncos
2005 Wests Tigers
2004 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
2003 Penrith Panthers
2002 Sydney Roosters
2001 Newcastle Knights
2000 Brisbane Broncos
1999 Melbourne Storm

Melbourne - 5 (2 stripped)
Roosters - 3
Manly - 2
Brisbane - 2
Cronulla - 1
Cowboys - 1
Souths - 1
Dragons - 1
Tigers - 1
Bulldogs - 1
Penrith - 1
Knights - 1

11 different Premiers in this period

AFL Premiers
2018 West Coast
2017 Richmond
2016 Western Bulldogs
2015 Hawthorn
2014 Hawthorn
2013 Hawthorn
2012 Sydney Swans
2011 Geelong
2010 Collingwood
2009 Geelong
2008 Hawthorn
2007 Geelong
2006 West Coast
2005 Sydney Swans
2004 Port Adelaide
2003 Brisbane Lions
2002 Brisbane Lions
2001 Brisbane Lions
2000 Essendon
1999 North Melbourne

Hawthorn - 4
Geelong - 3
Brisbane - 3
Sydney - 2
West Coast - 2
Richmond - 1 (+2019)
Bulldogs - 1
Collingwood - 1
Port - 1
Essendon - 1
North - 1

10 different premiers in this period

Just goes to show you can angle any argument in you favour if you use the correct numbers, both competitions are good and a lot better than things like EPL where the top few clubs win everything.
One little thing that gets missed regarding the competition models though, Swans and Brisbane (Also now Suns and GWS) received more money on the salary cap from the AFL (Living away allowance) than what the Storm were over that cost them 2 premierships, so I know which competition has more integrity.

Doesn't change the fact that people are walking away from the game due to certain teams dominating....Storm 9 GF's appearance's and Roosters 8 GF appearances...

Add to that the inconsistencies in refereeing and Judiciary and many people are finding the AFL a more attractive proposition.

Just take the example of GWS...AFL did a 20 year study before bringing them into the comp...

Compare this to the failure's of say the Gold coast team...

Good luck to both the Storm and Roosters...very professionally run sides but the point being one would have hoped to see say the Warriors or titans win a title over that period of time...I.M.H.O the AFL have got it correct with their Draft system. I will leave it at that.

Dragsters

First Grade
The comparison with the AFL is kind of irrelevant imo.

Point is that in the NRL 2 teams have occupied 17 of the last 21 Grand Finals.

2 out of 16 teams!

Something smells...

j5o6hn

Juniors
Yes it is called the Rorters I believe the have 4 junior teams, things have to change the Rorters have to be moved Adelaide is nice in winter I believe & they may have to actually work on the Juniors
If they are under the salary cap with the players they have which I think are worth about 25 mil I will go heave

mongoose

Coach
Doesn't change the fact that people are walking away from the game due to certain teams dominating....Storm 9 GF's appearance's and Roosters 8 GF appearances...

Add to that the inconsistencies in refereeing and Judiciary and many people are finding the AFL a more attractive proposition.

Just take the example of GWS...AFL did a 20 year study before bringing them into the comp...

Good luck to both the Storm and Roosters...very professionally run sides but the point being one would have hoped to see say the Warriors or titans win a title over that period of time...I.M.H.O the AFL have got it correct with their Draft system. I will leave it at that.

The AFL has a draft so it can manipulate its competition (suns with 4 priority picks, whatever that means). The NRL model may not look that equal at times but I still believe clubs like the Roosters and Storm are successful because they are very well managed and have a strong culture.

The Raiders are in the grand final this year, some people thought they would never be able to assemble enough talent to make it to a grand final again as it was an unattractive destination for marquee players but they've got there through some brilliant recruiting decisions and by building a strong culture within the club. The players all want to play for the coach and all get on well with each other.

getsmarty

Immortal
The AFL has a draft so it can manipulate its competition (suns with 4 priority picks, whatever that means). The NRL model may not look that equal at times but I still believe clubs like the Roosters and Storm are successful because they are very well managed and have a strong culture.

The Raiders are in the grand final this year, some people thought they would never be able to assemble enough talent to make it to a grand final again as it was an unattractive destination for marquee players but they've got there through some brilliant recruiting decisions and by building a strong culture within the club. The players all want to play for the coach and all get on well with each other.

All good points Mongoose...especially the Canberra Story....fantastic to see them make the G.F this Year. This is what I was alluding to...would be nice to see clubs like warriors/Titans eventually win a title...just like North Queensland did instead of the same sides continually dominating....I will leave it at that.

tri_colours

Juniors
Other than the Titans, Are there any NRL clubs who haven't made the GF in the last 20 years? cant think of any of the top of my head.

tri_colours

Juniors

Take GWS, draft picks and exemptions left right and centre. 10 years and $130m on and there still as reliant on the main body as ever.

What about the previous decades in the NRL - Brisbane, Manly, Canberra , Canterbury, Parramatta

Certain sides dominate at times . Isn't that just football.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Take GWS, draft picks and exemptions left right and centre. 10 years and $130m on and there still as reliant on the main body as ever.

What about the previous decades in the NRL - Brisbane, Manly, Canberra , Canterbury, Parramatta

Certain sides dominate at times . Isn't that just football.

The domination noted by the Storm and the roosters is quite extraordinary. Make of it what you want. Have a good evening.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Who cares what VFL does?

New England win the Super bowl, how is that relevent?

Canterbury will all the union stuff, is that relevent.

VFL is more like a disease.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl stack the comp through; draft, salary cap exemptions for some teams, significantly bigger grants to some teams. If that’s a good thing or not you can be the judge. Nrl seems fairer but does mean you will get the bigger clubs always generally being more successful (exception being lol@broncos)

flippikat

Bench
Afl stack the comp through; draft, salary cap exemptions for some teams, significantly bigger grants to some teams. If that’s a good thing or not you can be the judge. Nrl seems fairer but does mean you will get the bigger clubs always generally being more successful (exception being lol@broncos)

Even if the NRL wanted to stack the comp ala AFL, they're limited in what they can do.

Restraint of trade cases aside, a draft only works if you have a captive junior player market. AFL & American sports leagues get away with a draft because no other country has a competition in those sports that's so lucrative for players. (NRL on the other hand has Superleague & Rugby Union vying for the same skill set - all comparable in earnings).

As for a variable grant/salary cap for clubs to equalise the competition... well, can you imagine the uproar THAT would create amongst the clubs? The NRL has always been notoriously gun-shy of upsetting the clubs.. even if that means procrastinating over really important decisions.

I can't see that changing unless we get someone with the balls to say "this may hurt a handful of clubs in the short term, but it's seriously for the greater good of the game", and doggedly plough through with it, getting a *vast majority* of clubs to agree.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

giphy.gif

Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Storm
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

Wow, the NRL only has one team contest the Grand Final?! o_O

TheDalek079

Bench
Lol, dynasties are the norm, not the exception.

50s/60s dragons won 11 premierships in a row. Following that souffs win four in five years. The 70s see Manly win four premierships, with dragons getting two in three years and the Roosters going back to back. Along comes the 80s when Parramatta and Canterbury each win four premierships. Then Brisbane win 5 between 1992 and 2000.

Yet it's only now that people are walking away because of a couple of teams dominating? Lol