What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Dragsters

First Grade
Peanut Paul might still be driving the Bus in 2020 but I'm sure Flanno will be the Bus conductor controlling who's in & who's out! Otherwise we are phucked again heading down a dead end.

Round 1 selections will provide a clear window into the inner workings of the new coaching structure.

Particularly the centres...

Shane Flanagan is set to return from his coaching ban as an assistant coach with St George Illawarra.

NRL.com understands the Dragons have offered him a job as coach Paul McGregor assistant for next season as part of an overhaul of the club following a disastrous 2019 campaign.

Flanagan was deregistered by the NRL at the end of last season and was recently given the green light to return in an assistant capacity for at least the next two seasons.

St George Illawarra implemented a review, which was conducted by former Panthers supremo Phil Gould, which highlighted the need for an experienced coach alongside McGregor, who is contracted for the next two seasons but will be under pressure to deliver after the club finished 15th.

It is expected Flanagan will accept the role which was filled by Ben Hornby over the past two seasons.

The club is yet to make an official statement on Flanagan's imminent arrival.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30...t2vM71yr9uJHSThhc6Ai4vFhYHctTjKn58lkTI-1QXfw8
Of course...Hornby was the problem all along.
Now Flannagan is going to fill the role of new crutch to McGregor.
Whatever they are paying Flannagan would have been better spent as a part pay out for McGregor.
I see that the defence coach seems to have survived in spite of conceding the most points in the clubs history.
The lengths that this Board has gone to support McGregor is baffling.
Don't let results get in the way of a bad decision.
I think their strategy is now clear.
Stick with McGregor and swallow and deflect the criticism for the 2 year extension which makes them look stupid and incompetent.
Flannagan serves out his assistant's relegation which coincides with McGregor's contract and take over the reins once the McGregor's contract is finished.
Should the NRL give Flannagan a reprieve and shorten the coaching restrictions to 12 months only, McGregor would probably stand down immediately.

getsmarty

Immortal
Whatever they are paying Flannagan would have been better spent as a part pay out for McGregor.
I see that the defence coach seems to have survived in spite of conceding the most points in the clubs history.
Stick with McGregor and swallow and deflect the criticism for the 2 year extension which makes them look stupid and incompetent.
Flannagan serves out his assistant's relegation which coincides with McGregor's contract and take over the reins once the McGregor's contract is finished.
Should the NRL give Flannagan a reprieve and shorten the coaching restrictions to 12 months only, McGregor would probably stand down immediately.

Agree Dennis, but McGregor was never going anywhere..........we can all talk about it til the cows come home but he has friends in all the right places.

How will you feel if they appoint Flanno as assistant and the Dragons start winning and have a top 4 year next year? Watching presser after presser with Mary taking all the credit and smirking at everyone who said he was a dead man walking.
I want my team to win but have mixed feelings about doing so with Mary as head coach anymore.
I hope it happens and we can start enjoying our footy again.
Regardless of what McGregor says, everyone at the press conferences will know it is Flannagan's influence that has turned our fortunes around.
Having said that, we just don't have the cattle to be top 4 next year.
I think our halves are too inconsistent to mount a serious finals challenge.
Our much vaunted pack now holds no fear for any team we play.
These two issues are big obstacles in terms of our ladder position in 2020.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
All locked in...now watch another team swoop in at the last minute and take him away, leaving us holding our dicks as per usual.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I hope it happens and we can start enjoying our footy again.
Regardless of what McGregor says, everyone at the press conferences will know it is Flannagan's influence that has turned our fortunes around.
Having said that, we just don't have the cattle to be top 4 next year.
I think our halves are too inconsistent to mount a serious finals challenge.
Our much vaunted pack now holds no fear for any team we play.
These two issues are big obstacles in terms of our ladder position in 2020.
I agree whole heartedly with your post Dennis. We might improve our position slightly on the ladder next year with the inclusion of Flanagan as McGregor's assistant, however, as you say, our cattle will not be anywhere near capable of getting us to top 4 next year. Hopefully, though, there are better and exciting games from the team next year to keep us interested. Cheers!

MB79

Juniors
Lord help us - dumb and dumber - the Sharks won their Comp despite Flanno, not because of him - he is a dope.

merahputih

Juniors
The Defense Coach is the son of a board member.

BLM01

First Grade
Shane Flanagan is set to return from his coaching ban as an assistant coach with St George Illawarra.

NRL.com understands the Dragons have offered him a job as coach Paul McGregor assistant for next season as part of an overhaul of the club following a disastrous 2019 campaign.

Flanagan was deregistered by the NRL at the end of last season and was recently given the green light to return in an assistant capacity for at least the next two seasons.

St George Illawarra implemented a review, which was conducted by former Panthers supremo Phil Gould, which highlighted the need for an experienced coach alongside McGregor, who is contracted for the next two seasons but will be under pressure to deliver after the club finished 15th.

It is expected Flanagan will accept the role which was filled by Ben Hornby over the past two seasons.

The club is yet to make an official statement on Flanagan's imminent arrival.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/30...t2vM71yr9uJHSThhc6Ai4vFhYHctTjKn58lkTI-1QXfw8
Interesting and confirms my thoughts on how it will pan out.......for next year only

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I actually think Hornby would make a descent coach one day. In my eyes he is royalty and to be treated the way he has been is a total disgrace. Sure he may be short on experience but put Flanno next to him for a few years and he has the smarts to make it: McGregor is a putrid human for his treatment of his staff and I am ashamed he has worn that red V