What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was still seen as mediocre before this year.

His last grand final appearance was 15 years ago, so understandably so. If you hang around long enough you’re going to have some good seasons here and there.

I wouldn’t say Cleary is incapable of coaching us to a Grand Final, id just say it’s unlikely.

Blade23

Juniors
I spoke to someone from the club over the weekend. He has always been honest to me.

One player, a forward has verbally agreed to come here while a promising younger player that can push for the top 30 over the pre season has been signed.

The club is after several 'Value buys' with the word value strongly emphasised. Players that have to take a pay cut to stay at their existing clubs (think Alex Glenn) or players that other clubs will pay freight on.
I was told not to get my hopes up for any top end signings but we are after a decent signing from another club, if he can get a release.
We have had a few nibbles at a few players and have pulled out of negotiations as other clubs have pushed up the price.

On RCG we are paying about 20 -25 % of his contract per year for 3 years. The Eels will be paying his whole contract for the final 2 years.

I spoke to someone from the club over the weekend. He has always been honest to me.

One player, a forward has verbally agreed to come here while a promising younger player that can push for the top 30 over the pre season has been signed.

The club is after several 'Value buys' with the word value strongly emphasised. Players that have to take a pay cut to stay at their existing clubs (think Alex Glenn) or players that other clubs will pay freight on.
I was told not to get my hopes up for any top end signings but we are after a decent signing from another club, if he can get a release.
We have had a few nibbles at a few players and have pulled out of negotiations as other clubs have pushed up the price.

On RCG we are paying about 20 -25 % of his contract per year for 3 years. The Eels will be paying his whole contract for the final 2 years.

That’s a bit disappointing, I suspect it might be true that we were a fair way over the cap for next year.

OldPanther

Coach
That’s not quite correct.

It’s 136 wins from 310 games. 44%

I’m certainly not saying Ricky Stuart is a good coach, was just calling out betcats on his incorrect post.

Depends. Do we count the Fittler era? Some players make their teams better and he was one of them. Hard to tell what's coaching and star players. Similar issue I have judging Bellamy.

I'm happy either way just an interesting thought.

Flashstep

Juniors
Using historical statistics to judge Stuart in the present day is pointless, fact of the matter is this:

He’s taken Canberra to the top 4 twice and he’s now taken them to a grand final, when he joined the Raiders they were in a very dire situation much like us, even when they were paying massive overs to try and bring in some much needed quality they just end up back flipping or not agreeing to it (Tedesco and Mansour)

He has done some amazing recruiting in this situation especially from England, he learnt from a few years back that he can’t just win every game 30-24 so this season he has turned Canberra into a defensive powerhouse instead of just relying on attack.

Stuart is a much better coach now then he was 15 years ago, might sound strange to some of you blokes but coaches and players can improve with time and aren’t always destined for failure.

franklin2323

Immortal
Depends. Do we count the Fittler era? Some players make their teams better and he was one of them. Hard to tell what's coaching and star players. Similar issue I have judging Bellamy.

You can't ignore facts but for me the fact he struggled elsewhere shows me it was playing roster more then coaching that got those results

betcats

Referee
Ricky Stuart’s win rate isn’t worse than Cleary’s @betcats

Maybe you pulled the figures straight from your arse?

Stuart’s 50%

Cleary 47%

I googled it and in a list at the top of the page that’s what it had.

Far cry from predicting what the plan is for cleary after two more years of failure, and what he will be paid and who will replace him.... you’d have to be pretty bloody thick to take a comment like seriously.

Edit: 46 is his win rate with just the raiders I believe, not his career win rate.

You can make the same argument about Cleary. Two of his best seasons as an NRL coach were 2010 & 2011, who arrived at the warriors in 2010? James Maloney.

His other really good season was 2014, the year Soward came.

OldPanther

Coach
You can make the same argument about Cleary. Two of his best seasons as an NRL coach were 2010 & 2011, who arrived at the warriors in 2010? James Maloney.

Goes to show how important the spine is. Can't win without at least one star player.

BxTom

Bench

Don't forget that Stuart inherited some good teams to help his winning percentage before his 'skills' took effect. He usually inherited a good team and then run them down...

betcats

Referee

Soward came from reserve grade at the dragons via a short stint for the mighty London broncos, Maloney was a journeyman barely established when he arrived at the warriors, on what planet is either of them comparable to a veteran brad fitler? What rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.