What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he hasn't been told how much Ivan will be paid after he fails for another two years and they have to replace him, if you found that comment believable then you are an idiot.

He doesn’t need to be told that, Cleary has a contract.

You reckon Clearly hasn’t made sure his deal is 100% inronclad after already being punted by this club once?

That’s not pulling it out of your arse, it’s a reasonable deduction given what we know.

betcats

Referee
Of course there’s other factors involved. Injuries, suspensions etc.

But all things being equal, key players can make a big impact to a club. I think quite clearly Soward demonstrated that in 2014.

The impact on its face wasn’t the same. Fittler took the roosters to 3 consecutive grand final, Soward took the panthers to a single preliminary final. But there was still a significant impact which can change a coaches fortune.

The comparison was never meant to be 100% like for like.

Oldy was talking about how easy it to coach a team with an established side that went to three straight GFs being led by an all time great(captained 20 tests and 14 origins) but yeah 2014 Soward was worth a mention.

Last edited:

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
So if a quality player plus well at another club it’s because they’re coached well but if they play well under Ivan it’s just a matter of coincidence. Ergh.

And since I last came out against it before, evaluating quality of coaches by their teams’ winning percentages is as dull and meaningless as ever.

This sport is in the dark ages when it comes to tactics. Wake me up when coaches start using different formations.

betcats

Referee
He doesn’t need to be told that, Cleary has a contract.

You reckon Clearly hasn’t made sure his deal is 100% inronclad after already being punted by this club once?

That’s not pulling it out of your arse, it’s a reasonable deduction given what we know.

And what does that Contract say he is getting paid for his current role? Has Daz seen it? Have you? Does it mention how much he will get paid to do a different job than the one he is contracted to do? LOL

Reasonable deduction....sure thing Herby.

And what does that Contract say he is getting paid for his current role? Has Daz seen it? Have you? Does it mention how much he will get paid to do a different job than the one he is contracted to do? LOL

Reasonable deduction....sure thing Herby.

You don’t need to pull something from your arse when it’s as plain as the nose on your face.

Think about it logically.

If you moved someone sideways into an important role, would you risk reducing his pay and upsetting him? Especially when he’s been sacked by the club already.

We’ve heard reports as to what Ivan Cleary is being paid to coach the team, using that information isn’t pulling it out of your arse.

Here’s some links to those reports

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...p/news-story/b6d537ac454f20e668a536d5e3fe2165

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...hree-year-deal-from-2021-20180918-p504ie.html

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/0716859e96033e7454e72c02d541758e

Just because you’re not every good at piecing information together doesn’t mean others can’t.

Oldy was talking about how easy it to coach a team with an established side that went to three straight GFs being led by an all time great(captained 20 tests and 14 origins) but yeah 2014 Soward was worth a mention.

Yeah it was, because I wasn’t making a direct comparison as to their ability.

A few weeks ago you accused me of seeing everything as Black & White, that’s exactly what you’re doing right now.

Ive said I wasn’t comparing their ability, who the hell would compare Soward directly to Fittler? That’s absurd.

I was making the point that individual players can have a big impact on a teams performance. What those players did in those years is more pertinent than their overall record.

franklin2323

Immortal
The difference in their defence from previous years is extreme. He has done something to get some serious fight in that team defensively.

Which is what we need to do. Come up with a few plays to suit our style. Fix defence and errors and who knows

Blade23

Juniors
That’s a bit disappointing, I suspect it might be true that we were a fair way over the cap for next year.

Don't get to disappointed. We can still pick up a few handy players. A couple of discounted mid pricers are possible.
The Sharks are having a fire sale at the moment. If he wanted to come here and the Sharks tipped in a little someone like Josh Morris would be handy.

Pomoz

Bench
What about this season? Raiders aren't exactly a team of superstars, but he's had them playing VERY well... Maybe he's learnt some lessons over time... No reason to think IC can't do the same...
I am praying hard that he can. I don't want him to fail, I just think facts, history and gut feel says he will.

You brought up Soward when justifying why Ivan had a good year in 2014.

You didn’t say it literally but you definitely insinuated it.

But I wasn’t insinuating that players go well at other clubs because of coaching. I mean sometimes that’s the case, but it wasn’t the point I was making.

I’m not saying Cleary didn’t have any impact on how Soward went in 2014, I’m saying that having access to a player like that improved our fortunes. It’s true that before Soward came he was in a rut, so maybe Ivan did help him out of it?

The point I was making is a single impact player, spine players, can have a big effect on a teams performance.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
But I wasn’t insinuating that players go well at other clubs because of coaching. I mean sometimes that’s the case, but it wasn’t the point I was making.

I’m not saying Cleary didn’t have any impact on how Soward went in 2014, I’m saying that having access to a player like that improved our fortunes. It’s true that before Soward came he was in a rut, so maybe Ivan did help him out of it?

The point I was making is a single impact player, spine players, can have a big effect on a teams performance.
I remember clearly that Ivan did help and improve Jamie when before season kicked off went in the Kicoda track

tripster

Juniors
I spoke to someone from the club over the weekend. He has always been honest to me.

One player, a forward has verbally agreed to come here while a promising younger player that can push for the top 30 over the pre season has been signed.

The club is after several 'Value buys' with the word value strongly emphasised. Players that have to take a pay cut to stay at their existing clubs (think Alex Glenn) or players that other clubs will pay freight on.
I was told not to get my hopes up for any top end signings but we are after a decent signing from another club, if he can get a release.
We have had a few nibbles at a few players and have pulled out of negotiations as other clubs have pushed up the price.

On RCG we are paying about 20 -25 % of his contract per year for 3 years. The Eels will be paying his whole contract for the final 2 years.

Thanks for sharing. If that all turns out to be true we are in for a miserable season next year. We will have one of the least experienced spines in the comp, a backline without any real strike power, and a bench of players with hardly any FG experience. And we will be carrying a $200k salary cap style penalty for the next 3 seasons.

mxlegend99

Referee
Soward was technically a reject when we signed him and many people here were unhappy with both he and Wallace.

Personally I was stoked as both were huge upgrades on whatwe had. Ivan played a part in Soward having a good season for us... and Soward played a big part in us having a great season too.

Moylan, Soward and Segeyaro in great form. Obviously there's a lot more attacking ability in that spine than what we had in 2019... or will have 2020.

Blade23

Juniors
Thanks for sharing. If that all turns out to be true we are in for a miserable season next year. We will have one of the least experienced spines in the comp, a backline without any real strike power, and a bench of players with hardly any FG experience. And we will be carrying a $200k salary cap style penalty for the next 3 seasons.

Don't get too disheartened yet, some experience and handy players will come if the club is shrewd.
There is a chance one decent signing may happen.
I did drop one hint in my initial post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts