What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stevie

Bench
I am going to put a percentage on the likelihood of each joining the eels. Its absolutely 100% that we will sign at least one.
  • Ryan Matterson 92.99%
  • Tyson Frizzell 19.2%
  • Adam Chichton 45%
  • Jai Arrow 30%
  • David Fifita 17%
  • capwell 40%
  • Luke 5%

Just on Matto, what is the latest on him? Are we negotiating release terms etc or what?

84 Baby

Referee
images

hindy111

Post Whore
Geeze the rumours have dried up. A few weeks ago all the gossip was about:
  • Melbourne having to make room for Camillions.
  • Tigers trying to off load Mutalino, Packer and Grub.
  • Brisbane wanting to sign Croft but needing to release players to fit him in.
  • Ryan Matterson
  • Tyson Frizzell
  • Adam Chichton
  • Jai Arrow
  • David Fifita
Get on with it FFS !

And the Cam one

lingard

Coach
If we can hold onto Salmon for 2 or 3 more years and play him in the lower grades and the occasional NRL appearance without him getting poached(see what I did there) by another club or him getting disgruntled and wanting to leave, we will only then fully know what he is capable of.

He will have had more games against men and filled out and developed as a footballer himself. But to fully give him his best chance at success we need to settle on one position and stick to it. I would pick him as an edge backrower and give him a full season or two to see what he can turn into.

He is a quality player without setting the world on fire with any particular skill, but he offers a bit of everything. So let the boy settle into a style and grove of his own and see what happens ffs. I hope we don't cruel his chances of being a very good NRL player by using him as a utility all the time. Backrower for mine and put the work into him physically and coaching wise and you never know, we might see him swimming with the big fish when he matures.

Either that, or he'll get the stuffing knocked out of him.

emjaycee

Coach
Just on Matto, what is the latest on him? Are we negotiating release terms etc or what?

Just wondering who you are asking these questions to and whether you actually expect anyone on here to know the answer accurately and if they did, be prepared to share it in a public forum? :thinking:

chiefy1

Juniors
Just wondering who you are asking these questions to and whether you actually expect anyone on here to know the answer accurately and if they did, be prepared to share it in a public forum? :thinking:

I will answer these questions ltr as it's porko'clock atm.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I am going to put a percentage on the likelihood of each joining the eels. Its absolutely 100% that we will sign at least one.
  • Ryan Matterson 92.99%
  • Tyson Frizzell 19.2%
  • Adam Chichton 45%
  • Jai Arrow 30%
  • David Fifita 17%
  • capwell 40%
  • Luke 5%
That’s now two mentions of this Adam Chichton bloke. No idea who he is but it’s sounding promising...and exciting.

84 Baby

Referee
:thinking::thinking::thinking: so you’re saying we are signing Adam Chichton

Avenger

Immortal
  • Ryan Matterson 92.99%
  • Tyson Frizzell 19.2%
  • Adam Chichton 45%
  • Jai Arrow 30%
  • David Fifita 17%
  • capwell 40%
  • Luke 5%
Welsch - 2%.

Gronk

Staff member
Lurker stuff

Don’t believe the denials from the Dragons that Tyson Frizell isn't considered expendable.

Saints are in an awful salary cap mess, largely due to the huge salaries of James Graham (750k), Corey Norman (900k) and Ben Hunt (1.2m).

The Dragons believe Frizell's body isn't what it used to be and have told him it's unlikely he'll be retained beyond his 2020 contract.

It's why his manager has sounded out rival clubs - with the possibly of an immediate departure.

Most at the Dragons believe Frizell will stick around and back himself to have a big year next season.

———————-

Still at the Dragons, mobile backrower Luciano Leilua is being shopped to Newcastle.

———————-

At the Tigers, both Alex Twal and Luke Garner have extended their future at the club.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...cap-2020-nrl-finals/cznr8ksakrrb1fqsffmav42mt

Happy MEel

First Grade
Welsch exercised an option to stay at Storn after his did his knee. So 0%.
He did, but that would have been to secure his future in the short term and a fall-back position if he can’t get another deal elsewhere. I reckon his manager is still looking for opportunities elsewhere and if he can find one I think the Storm would be happy to have his salary of their cap (particularly coming back from an ACL).

For the record I don’t think we should entertain the idea.

TheRam

Coach
Lurker stuff

Don’t believe the denials from the Dragons that Tyson Frizell isn't considered expendable.

Saints are in an awful salary cap mess, largely due to the huge salaries of James Graham (750k), Corey Norman (900k) and Ben Hunt (1.2m).

The Dragons believe Frizell's body isn't what it used to be and have told him it's unlikely he'll be retained beyond his 2020 contract.

It's why his manager has sounded out rival clubs - with the possibly of an immediate departure.

Most at the Dragons believe Frizell will stick around and back himself to have a big year next season.

This is what concerns me also about Frizell. He does seem to be getting injured to often and the way he plays will only continue the likely hood of more injuries as he gets older. For this reason and this reason alone if we can only sign one or the other, I am leaning towards Matterson.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He did, but that would have been to secure his future in the short term and a fall-back position if he can’t get another deal elsewhere. I reckon his manager is still looking for opportunities elsewhere and if he can find one I think the Storm would be happy to have his salary of their cap (particularly coming back from an ACL).

For the record I don’t think we should entertain the idea.

I reckon Welch is a better fit for side then Evans who is off contract in 2020.

Depending on our cap position for 2020, if we have some free space I reckon he could be a decent gamble for the right price.

Something like, offer to buy his storm contract at 2/3 of its valve (so assuming he may be on $350 - $400k, we play $230-250k) and give him a second year option on $350-400k in our favour (we were offering $500k).

Worse case scenario we waste $250k or so on an player that sits out the year injured or fails to return to form. And we don’t take up the option,

Best case scenario he returns to fairly decent form mid year and we have a player on unders in 2021.

I wouId actually tell peni he is free to leave so we could save some cap space for Welch. Obviously all subject to him progressing well with his ACL injury. Also the storm/Welch may say no too.

It’s probably one of our better chances of getting “leader” type forward into our squad without paying a huge amount.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This is what concerns me also about Frizell. He does seem to be getting injured to often and the way he plays will only continue the likely hood of more injuries as he gets older. For this reason and this reason alone if we can only sign one or the other, I am leaning towards Matterson.

He has played 21,21,22,23 and 21 games over the last 5 seasons. He would also have missed games due to origin. So doesn’t seem to injury prone.

Latest posts