What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a Thought - Possibly Already Mentioned

SaintPauli

Juniors
Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Melbourne
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

20 seasons.
Both clubs combined have made the grand final 17 times.

What a wonderfully diverse comp.
I look forward to the diversity of the next 20 seasons as well.
Send it to the spin doctors NRL who keep saying the salary cap has an evened the comp. Stats dont lie.

Old Timer

Coach
Not true. The four tackle rule started in England before we accepted it here.Dont
100% correct
Excerpt from an article written by Tony Collins in 2012 the 4 tackle rule
"Back in England, the rule was trialled in the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy in October 1966. After a handful of matches it became obvious that it encouraged attacking play and speeded up the game considerably. From November 1966 four tackles became the rule for all matches".
Bill Buckley from Australia was involved with the international committee at that time and it was introduced for international matches before it was introduced to club football here and it was just co-incodental it coincided with the end of the great St G era and many forget St G were in-fact minor premiers in 1967 after its introduction here.

getsmarty

Immortal
So exactly how much did we pay for Hunt at the beginning and end of his contract?
Your opinion of what is considered overs compared to other opinions might mean a fair gap re $$$ / year and in fact may not represent a myth at all.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Melbourne assembled a team of superstars illegally, got caught (only by a whistleblower mind you) and all they got was a slap on the wrist. They only lost Greg Inglis. Got to keep the core of their illegal team together and dominated the league for years.

Teams like the roosters are signing players like Tedesco, and we can only afford to sign players like Maranta. There is no way all teams are playing on a level playing field.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Pretty bad. On the other hand (not counting the all comparably new Titans) all have made a grand final since 2001, and all but 3 have a premiership since the NRL started only 20ish years ago.

So while some teams are undoubtedly regulars at the end of the year, on their day, any team can beat any team, and that's why I prefer NRL to many other popular sports.

denis preston

First Grade
Pretty bad. On the other hand (not counting the all comparably new Titans) all have made a grand final since 2001, and all but 3 have a premiership since the NRL started only 20ish years ago.

So while some teams are undoubtedly regulars at the end of the year, on their day, any team can beat any team, and that's why I prefer NRL to many other popular sports.

AND thats why Canberra will have 80% of people watching around the country supporting them !

Old Timer

Coach
As far as I know the amount was closer to 850k per year. Whether that is overpaid or not is personal opinion
How do we know that is the number?
Is he on a flat rate or does he increase at the backend?
IMO he is a neither nor player stuck between 2 positions and not at marquis level in either so is overpaid even at $850K if that is correct.

Dragonsamy

Bench
How do we know that is the number?
Is he on a flat rate or does he increase at the backend?
IMO he is a neither nor player stuck between 2 positions and not at marquis level in either so is overpaid even at $850K if that is correct.

He on the same amount every year.
He also has some tpo and sponsors deals and media just include those as if their salary cap which they're not. Whether he is overrated or not is our personal opinion I don't disagree with you but the facts are what I've said

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
He on the same amount every week.
He also has some too and sponsors deals and media just include those as if their salary cap which they're not. Whether it is overrated or not is our personal opinion I don't disagree with you but the facts are what I've said

The only reason people feel he is overrated is because we have a coach who doesn't know how to create a game plan around Ben hunt's strengths....even frizz is misused....People need to aim their angst at

1/. The Board
2/. The "Coach" who the board continue to endorse although he has been a failure.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Melbourne assembled a team of superstars illegally, got caught (only by a whistleblower mind you) and all they got was a slap on the wrist. They only lost Greg Inglis. Got to keep the core of their illegal team together and dominated the league for years.
Teams like the roosters are signing players like Tedesco, and we can only afford to sign players like Maranta. There is no way all teams are playing on a level playing field.

Pretty much somes it up.
level-playing-field.jpeg

Slippery Morris

First Grade

This is where the Chooks are smart. People keep saying that they signed Tedesco but hey they lost RTS before that who won Daly M last year. Fair swap. Hey lost Ferg and picked up Morris. They lose Napa they pick up Crichton, Lose Pearce pick up Cronk, etc. They seem to replace quality for quality. Saints replace Nightingale a legend for Rava/Maranta/Pearson. Roosters would have on the other hand planned for Nightingale replacement and someone like Rapana, Cotric etc would be on the wing. They knew he was coming to and end in his career yet waited for last minute. They should have blooded someone like Lomax or Garrick and gave them heaps more playing time, instead waited for last minute. They actually did play Lomax last year and he did well but went out and wasted cash on Rava/Maranta and Pearson and let go of Garrick. That is dumb coaching more than player retention as Mary would have demanded Millward go in the market for wingers which he did instead of elevate Lomax/Garrick and Herbert. I doubt Millward would have said, sorry mate you are stuck with these guys I want to spend my cash on a forward and Mary would have said OK. He runs the freakin board why do some think he doesn't run the retention. Mary has more power than the bloody CEO as we are finding out each week.

possm

Coach
Send it to the spin doctors NRL who keep saying the salary cap has an evened the comp. Stats dont lie.
The salary cap was meant to even things up and I'd say it has done just that however, the TPA scheme has then tipped the balance in favour of the likes of Broncos, Storm, Roosters and Rabbits.

At SGI we also deal with the inept management staff problem.

Last edited:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
That is just so unbelievable. If you are a betting man you could make a good profit for the next 20 years and pick both the Storm and Roosters to make the grand final even though their odds would be short.

Yes, no wonder a lot of fans have turned away from the game including myself and relatives of mine.

You might as well just have a competition between the Storm, Roosters, Broncos and say Warriors, just like the women's comp. All other teams are just superfluous to NRL. It is a complete joke and certainly the salary cap is not making it an even playing field and there should be a points system brought in to replace it. My rant for the day fellas!!
no one has ever been able to explain to me why a points system wouldn't reduce rorting and also even out the teams much better than the current dollars based cloak and dagger system does. A points system would be transparent, easily understood and much less prone to paper bags full of cash or boats in the shed. So someone please explain the flaw in a points based system and why it isn't used.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
This is where the Chooks are smart. People keep saying that they signed Tedesco but hey they lost RTS before that who won Daly M last year. Fair swap. Hey lost Ferg and picked up Morris. They lose Napa they pick up Crichton, Lose Pearce pick up Cronk, etc. They seem to replace quality for quality. Saints replace Nightingale a legend for Rava/Maranta/Pearson. Roosters would have on the other hand planned for Nightingale replacement and someone like Rapana, Cotric etc would be on the wing. They knew he was coming to and end in his career yet waited for last minute. They should have blooded someone like Lomax or Garrick and gave them heaps more playing time, instead waited for last minute. They actually did play Lomax last year and he did well but went out and wasted cash on Rava/Maranta and Pearson and let go of Garrick. That is dumb coaching more than player retention as Mary would have demanded Millward go in the market for wingers which he did instead of elevate Lomax/Garrick and Herbert. I doubt Millward would have said, sorry mate you are stuck with these guys I want to spend my cash on a forward and Mary would have said OK. He runs the freakin board why do some think he doesn't run the retention. Mary has more power than the bloody CEO as we are finding out each week.

Many teams try to replace talent with other talented players. However, none are successful at signing up talented players like the roosters. Why do you think that is? Could it be the life style of living in the eastern suburbs? Or perhaps the extra paper bags full of cash that these recruits get? Are teams like the roosters really that smart? Or are they cheating the cap?

Latest posts